'13 Elantra Coupe

ANTAUS

I've said it before... Hyundai, is the new Honda... previous generation Hyundais were still conservatively styled, and didnt really offer anything different. Now they surpassed Honda in style and efficiency, they just need to focus on long term dependability, which has some ways to go.

They already have the Veloster. Will they be spreading themselves too thin in the small coupe market? I'm guessing this will be the less expensive car and the Veloster will cover the upper end of the spectrum and the Genesis coupe will be the top, but still this is a surprise. I had no idea this was in the pipeline.

I've said it before... Hyundai, is the new Honda... previous generation Hyundais were still conservatively styled, and didnt really offer anything different. Now they surpassed Honda in style and efficiency, they just need to focus on long term dependability, which has some ways to go.

Granted they don't have the overall track record (for long term dependability) that Honda does, but most everything they've come out with in the last 5 years seems to have at least equalled the competition.

I've avoided Honda because of their tendency to use interference-design engines coupled with (expensive to change) timing belts. I'm pretty sure Hyundai uses a timing chain in all their engines nowadays; be they interference or not.

Edited by RangerM

I don't know, I know the Koreans are the big thing right now, but I find all their designs so derivative. If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was a new Civic. Kia is worse with their design. They have a flagship car coming out that I swear looks just like a BMW. They're not as bad as Chinese makers, who often copy other vehicles outright, but I still can't shake the feeling that the Koreans are just good imitators. What's going to happen when they need to start setting the benchmarks without a competitor to aim for?

Edited by Bimmer-Bob
  • Like 1

I don't know, I know the Koreans are the big thing right now, but I find all their designs so derivative. If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was a new Civic. Kia is worse with their design. They have a flagship car coming out that I swear looks just like a BMW. They're not as bad as Chinese makers, who often copy other vehicles outright, but I still can't shake the feeling that the Koreans are just good imitators.

You can't copy quality or reliability.

• Like 1

They already have the Veloster. Will they be spreading themselves too thin in the small coupe market? I'm guessing this will be the less expensive car and the Veloster will cover the upper end of the spectrum and the Genesis coupe will be the top, but still this is a surprise. I had no idea this was in the pipeline.

AFAIK, the Veloster is sharing it's platform with the Accent. I've been to the dealer with a friend looking at a Genesis Coupe and the Accent and Veloster were side by side. You have the classic small hatch for one group and a different style for others. I see the same thing for Kia Rio/Soul.