Consumer report 5 cars to avoid....Ford Edge?

My friend bought a 2013 Edge--he drove and researched everything and is a long-term CR subscriber--he felt the Edge was the all around best car of the bunch. He had a Nissan Murano which developed a slight main bearing knock at 80,000 miles so he wanted to dump that and was not too keen on another. He had the usual MFT problems which were resolved plus a power tailgate malfunction which was taken care of during an oil change. He loves the car; I have driven it, too, and it is very nice.

CR should be considered as one piece of information available to a consumer, but never as the ONLY one.

I wouldn't be too mad, it appears most of the public didn't agree. They ran the link on Yahoo and all the comments pretty much slammed CR. Mainly because every car they suggested was a toyota, honda, or hyundai. Most comments said it sounds like a toyota commercial or found it odd no other makes were suggested.

Stick to rating coffee makers and lawn mowers, CR!

My boss has been researching washers and dryers, and he said CR isn't even uniformly good at reviewing appliances. He was looking at their top-rated units, and all the consumer reviews he was finding were overwhelmingly negative--and many of them specifically called out CR. (I think he may have said there were complaints on the CR site, but I'm not sure if CR has feedback, so it may have just been other sites.)

Personally, I've read enough of their automotive reviews that I don't trust them any more than I'd trust PETA's reviews of restaurants...

Edited by SoonerLS

My boss has been researching washers and dryers, and he said CR isn't even uniformly good at reviewing appliances. He was looking at their top-rated units, and all the consumer reviews he was finding were overwhelmingly negative--and many of them specifically called out CR. (I think he may have said there were complaints on the CR site, but I'm not sure if CR has feedback, so it may have just been other sites.)

I wonder if a good CR review just raises expectations too much?

I don't recall exactly what the problem was, but it was a real problem, not one of unrealistic expectations. I think the gist was that the previous generation of the appliance had been good, but the replacement (which was still highly-rated by CR) had a serious design flaw.

Edited by SoonerLS

I've always thought there is some groupthink to it. CR says BOSCH DW are good, CR loyalists buy BOSCH DW, thinking they are getting "the best", when they get a survey, how do they fill it out? "it's the best!". My parents top rated BOSCH DW has performed poorly from day one, has cost them almost as much to try and repair as it did to buy, and from reading around the net they're not alone.

• 2 weeks later...

The September 2012 issue of Consumer Reports contains a report on the 2013 Ford Edge SEL with 2.0L Ecoboost engine. The variant tested had the 20" wheels option. It was not equipped with MyFordTouch. The road test score for this Edge was significantly higher than that for the V6 AWD Edge SEL with 18" wheels CR tested in early 2011; in fact the score was high enough to be eligible for 'Recommended' status (which was not the case for the V6 AWD). However, because CR lacks reliability information for the Ecoboost powertrain currently, it cannot recommend it for now.

CR indicated the most notable improvements of the tested Ecoboost FWD version over the 3.5L V6 AWD were observed fuel economy, control layout (thanks to no MyFordTouch), and engine NVH. They praised the 2.0L turbo engine's smoothness and ample power, stating the $995 premium over the V6 was well worth it. Main demerits they reported are the same for both versions: wind noise, unrefined transmission, and lack of agility.

The September 2012 issue of Consumer Reports contains a report on the 2013 Ford Edge SEL with 2.0L Ecoboost engine. The variant tested had the 20" wheels option. It was not equipped with MyFordTouch. The road test score for this Edge was significantly higher than that for the V6 AWD Edge SEL with 18" wheels CR tested in early 2011; in fact the score was high enough to be eligible for 'Recommended' status (which was not the case for the V6 AWD). However, because CR lacks reliability information for the Ecoboost powertrain currently, it cannot recommend it for now.

CR indicated the most notable improvements of the tested Ecoboost FWD version over the 3.5L V6 AWD were observed fuel economy, control layout (thanks to no MyFordTouch), and engine NVH. They praised the 2.0L turbo engine's smoothness and ample power, stating the $995 premium over the V6 was well worth it. Main demerits they reported are the same for both versions: wind noise, unrefined transmission, and lack of agility.

Well - I can vouch for the Ecoboost - you wouldnt know it was a 4 cyl.

As for the wind noise and lack of agility, I find this Edge handles beautifully and is quiet as my 2007 was.

Watch Tom Mutchler's YouTube reviews of the Ford Edge (One review, uploaded by Consumers Reports on Jan. 5, 2011, rates the Edge with the V-6; his other review covers the Edge w/ the 2.0 Ecoboost). Mutchler is CR's "human factors engineer." Aside from a sometimes "whiney" demeanor and needing a shave, Mutchler gives a pretty balanced pro-con view of the V-6 and 2.0 Ecoboost Edge. He is critical of MFT -- many reviewers are -- so DON'T GET IT if you're worried about it crashing every other day! The non-MFT Edge SEL covers a lot of bases and is a "simpler way to go," Mutchler notes in his (shorter) review of the Edge w/ Ecoboost. During his review of the Edge w/ the V-6, Mutchler mentions some wind noise and a "whiney V-6", but also says the Edge is "pleasant to drive" and at the end of his reviews calls it a "mid-pack" but "pretty good suv." AT NO POINT (in either review) does he say "avoid the Edge." CR and one of its engineers should reconcile their "ambivalent hypocrisy."

BTW I test-drove a 2013 AWD Ford Edge SEL w/o MFT. It drove just fine, and 95% of the reviews I've read are impressed with Ford's crossover. Memo to Consumers Reports -- CR = Conflicting Recommendations

Currently 2008 Ford Mustang V-Premium in Vapor Silver

On order: 2013 Ford Edge SEL w/ 204A and Deluxe Floormats without MFT (Ingot Silver w/ black interior)

I have my new 2013 Edge for 1 week - and I have the MFT with Nav. I love the set up.

Is it perfect - no, but am I frustrated - no

But I dont let tech stuff get to me. In terms of basic functionality - it works as designed.

However - depending on your "age" in relationship to technology - it may not work as you perceive it should.

Maybe Im lucky - so far so good.

How credible is Consumer Reports? They have no watchdog verifying their reports...they get to say whatever they feel.For example, like their negative review of the popular Edge, they did the same thing with the new Taurus. It appears they comment on a more SUBJECTIVE view than the real facts. Are they real unbiased engineers doing the technical tests? When they said yesterday that the Chrysler 300 was the best large car and not to buy the new Taurus because it was hard to see in the back, had MFT (they hate MFT) that it was confusing and small passenger space in the cabin. I went to the specs and compared the 2 vehicles...the Taurus has more front Headroom ...more front Legroom...more front Hiproom...and sits almost 2 inches higher. I own a new Taurus and immediately noticed that its height advantage for the highway view is exceptional. Consumer Report didn't mention it. The trunk space is 4 cubic ft larger on the Taurus...the Taurus has electronic steering compared to the old style hydraulic on the 300. They didn't care and actually didn't like the Taurus steering. The Taurus and Lacrosse are 'cockpit style' seating (38 degree slant) for the driver compared to the 300's basic flat console...which really offers no support on long drives. I am thinking that somebody at Ford pissed off the big guys at Consumers and since then...all negative against almost any Ford car they review lately. I then look at Car and Driver and they said the new Taurus had "sophisticated Styling"..."cloud nine ride"...and more than ample performance. The 300 has been the same old body design for almost 8 yrs....the dash board is old school round dials compared to the new Taurus glass panel layout. I'm really rattled. The Ford is quieter, rides smoother, 28-29 MPG, much larger trunk capacity and a little less expensive. Consumers really only had the rear seat room that gives the 300 a slight advantage...and their thinner door panels helped...at a cost of louder road noise.

Its frustrating to me....and sadly, that will hurt Ford sales.

I still don't get where these complaints about wind noise are coming from, unless the new side mirrors are really bad about it. I thought one reason they changed them though was to reduce it even further. I have no noticable wind noise in mine compared to any other vehicle I've ever driven. :shrug:

I still don't get where these complaints about wind noise are coming from, unless the new side mirrors are really bad about it. I thought one reason they changed them though was to reduce it even further. I have no noticable wind noise in mine compared to any other vehicle I've ever driven. :shrug:

The area near the side mirror seemed to be the primary source of wind noise at speeds > 50 mph in the 2013 Edge Limited V6 AWD I rented a few months ago. I didn't find it too objectionable, though.

On the other hand, the 18" Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires produced almost no tread noise at all. And the engine was also muted while cruising (though it sounded coarse when revved).

Maybe CR noted wind noise because other sources of interior noise are fairly well suppressed in the Edge. :shrug:

The area near the side mirror seemed to be the primary source of wind noise at speeds > 50 mph in the 2013 Edge Limited V6 AWD I rented a few months ago. I didn't find it too objectionable, though.

On the other hand, the 18" Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires produced almost no tread noise at all. And the engine was also muted while cruising (though it sounded coarse when revved).

Maybe CR noted wind noise because other sources of interior noise are fairly well suppressed in the Edge. :shrug:

That could be. I notice wind noise near the side windows on my 2013 Escape; I think because the vehicle is so darn quite otherwise.

My parents own a 2011 Edge and I think that vehicle is very quite also, nothing that I noticed stands out.