Making Push Button Start a Standard Feature

Furious1Auto

ard On All Ford Products?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would You like To See Push Button Start Standard On All Ford Products?

• Yes
    • No

Totally against the Keyless start, if you're too lazy to pull the key out of your pocket or purse, stop driving.

It's just something else that will cost big dollars to fix when it goes out.

I've been driving for over 38 years and have never replaced an ignition switch.

My wife's volvo had to have the anti-start antenna around her ignition switch and that cost $250.

However, the anti-theif is a good feature, it lessens the chance of some yea-hoo from stealing your car and redcuiing your insurance.

Unfortunately, it appears if one is looking for a bit of luxury in a new car, they're going to be stuck with the Keyless option.

Totally against the Keyless start, if you're too lazy to pull the key out of your pocket or purse, stop driving.

Psshhh!

I love my keyless start. It has nothing to do with being lazy and everything to do with convenience. Do you have a power garage door? I mean it's just lazy not opening it by hand, isn't it?

Before we starting "Bashing" aging Boomers and declaring them "redundant" as Dinosaurs if they don`t currently own a "Smart" Phone, some of us (has beens) simply don`t need an Iphone or Android Phone. Believe it or not, a lot of folks 65 + "cue-tips" are not all living on a fixed income and can afford to purchase or lease a new Vehicle every 24-36 months! Some of us simply have no use for YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. or being connected to the Internet 24/7! For many, a simple pre-paid "Dumb" Phone coupled with a portable Garmin GPS works fine too. Just saying.......

Before we starting "Bashing" aging Boomers and declaring them "redundant" as Dinosaurs if they don`t currently own a "Smart" Phone, some of us (has beens) simply don`t need an Iphone or Android Phone. Believe it or not, a lot of folks 65 + "cue-tips" are not all living on a fixed income and can afford to purchase or lease a new Vehicle every 24-36 months! Some of us simply have no use for YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. or being connected to the Internet 24/7! For many, a simple pre-paid "Dumb" Phone coupled with a portable Garmin GPS works fine too. Just saying.......

Of course it does, but when features reach a certain level of acceptance in the marketplace they do tend to become standard after awhile. Power windows anyone?

And even almost the most basic of "dumb phones" now can send text messages and take photos, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

I don't think push button start is quite there yet (nor should it be for cost reasons mainly), but I think it'll happen eventually.

Edited by NickF1011

Whatever, you can sell IA (Instant A--hole, or Initially Amusing) all you want, it's not an option I even want to witness. 1 out of 3 huh, that's 33.333%. Assuming that you didn't pull these figures out of thin air like I suspect you did. Then 33.333% of all offerings should have push button start as a standard. Then as the old hat dies off the percentage can be increased, and mechanical ignition systems phased out. Your making statistics up though, what is your source of market research pertaining specifically to this subject? http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/busted.gif It is at the very least worth a study to know exactly what the size of the market is. You must be basing your information on what you have read on this board, however the poll reflects 50 percent until you vote then it will be 33.333%. http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.png I studied marketing at FU.

Where is *your* research? Simply stating it's a part of your culture is weak sauce at best. Put up numbers from an honest research study or shut up with the argument. State your opinion fine, but don't denigrate others for theirs.

I'm aware, been doing this a while. Long as we keep debating then the thread stays at the top. Most people only read the title, and the first few posts before they reply. It is really less important to me how they go about it, or what tech they use, then it is important that it becomes a standard feature. Or at the very least the promise that it might elevates the brand. My fiance still works at Ford, and I retired in '09. I want Ford to stay on track for several reasons. I work for a company now that delivers the raw material to make steel for Ford vehicles. If Ford does well, then we all keep working. So much for me lacking understanding to market. banana%20piano.gif

This thread is doing well. Far as I can see it has a better ratio of views/replies then any other topic on the board. I also had the longest running thread in the employee section. The healthcare thread stayed on top of the board for a couple of years, and my point of view won.

Ah, a troll. Should have known.

See - you cannot fathom that someone would not want this technology and that's why you should leave the marketing to the marketing experts.

Let me see if I can wrap up your argument in a nutshell:

You want Ford to make push button start standard on every vehicle so some rapper can say "my Ford's got push button start" which will give Ford street cred and cause more fans of that music to buy Fords because they have push button start.

And you think they can only do that if ALL Fords came with push button start and they can't do that if it's an option on all vehicles.

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. That's why engineers don't make good marketers and vice versa.

Very good summation. I'm leaving the thread to give it no more life. Hopefully everyone else will do the same.

Of course it does, but when features reach a certain level of acceptance in the marketplace they do tend to become standard after awhile. Power windows anyone?

And even almost the most basic of "dumb phones" now can send text messages and take photos, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

I don't think push button start is quite there yet (nor should it be for cost reasons mainly), but I think it'll happen eventually.

Good point, I could`nt imagine owning a Vehicle now without Power Windows and Power Door Locks or for that matter Power Exterior Mirrors. Standard Air Conditioning is now universal except on certain Models still sold in Canada. On the matter of Smart Phones, I have what (looks) like a Smart Phone because its a Late Model LG Touchscreen (but) it does`nt have the ability to add "apps". Sure it can make and receive calls, send text messages, take pictures, and even access WiFi with 3G technology, has browser ability but since it can`t download "apps" its Not a Smart Phone. True, not many basic Phones like this are out there but for light users like myself, a Pre-Paid Carrier ae" TracFone is all I really need. When (not) if, Push Buttons replaces a Key Fob, so be it. I`m sure like everything else, it will become second nature. If I need to slip a small credit card size activator card into my wallet to make it work, I`ll just remove one of my extra Credit Cards that I carry and seldom use.

• 4 weeks later...

As one of those beyond age 65+ I can say that push-button start has been around since about 1896 in various forms. The reason the key became the standard was for security (and it was small and convenient — no need for wheel locks or boots.

Techology-wise I think they've solved most of the "security issues" involved wuitg radio frequency "keys," thus allowing push-button start to be as secure as physical mechanical keys (and it's equally convenient if not more so). It is one feature I will truly miss from my Prii when my new FFH SE is delivered.

• 2 weeks later...
As one of those beyond age 65+ I can say that push-button start has been around since about 1896 in various forms. The reason the key became the standard was for security (and it was small and convenient — no need for wheel locks or boots.

Techology-wise I think they've solved most of the "security issues" involved wuitg radio frequency "keys," thus allowing push-button start to be as secure as physical mechanical keys (and it's equally convenient if not more so). It is one feature I will truly miss from my Prii when my new FFH SE is delivered.

Agree with this. Most newer vehicles I have been in are "push button with a key". What I mean is the key cylinder is no longer connected physically to an electrical switch that physically makes the connections between circuits. Just a "tap" of the key on a Chevy trailblazer or an Audi A6 (2005 and later with key) to the start position) tells the computer to engage the starter. You can see it yourself by just flicking the key to start and removing your hand while the starter engages, cranks and then disengages when the engine is running. The key is simply the device to move the cylinder.

With all the other security features imbedded in the "key" it is all really electronic anyway. So why not just ditch the little blade?

• 2 weeks later...

Push button start was a dealbreaker for me. I would not have ordered my Fusion Energi TI had PBS not been available. My wife has it on her Lexus RX 450h and I love it. My daughter, on the other hand, hates the PSB. Go figure.

Push button start was a dealbreaker for me. I would not have ordered my Fusion Energi TI had PBS not been available. My wife has it on her Lexus RX 450h and I love it. My daughter, on the other hand, hates the PSB. Go figure.

My daughter refuses to use the auto climate control in her focus. I said "just change the temp up and down" but she won't do it. I don't get it.

My daughter refuses to use the auto climate control in her focus. I said "just change the temp up and down" but she won't do it. I don't get it.

I had a 2012 Ford Focus SES Hatchback Car Rental that had the (auto) climate control and I hated it! I could`nt figure out immediately how to change the settings. I`d pay extra for a simple control that determines functionality and temperature settings. Seriously, its either Heat/AC/or Vent. Hot/Cold, Floor/Dash/Mixed or Defrost and Fan Speed. While your at it, you can keep the Sync and My Ford Touch too regardless of what recent updated version is available. Imagine, Life without a "Bluetooth", YIKES!

I had a 2012 Ford Focus SES Hatchback Car Rental that had the (auto) climate control and I hated it! I could`nt figure out immediately how to change the settings. I`d pay extra for a simple control that determines functionality and temperature settings. Seriously, its either Heat/AC/or Vent. Hot/Cold, Floor/Dash/Mixed or Defrost and Fan Speed. While your at it, you can keep the Sync and My Ford Touch too regardless of what recent updated version is available. Imagine, Life without a "Bluetooth", YIKES!

It doesn't get any simpler than changing the temperature up or down. It works at home, right? Well this is even easier because you don't have to choose heat or cold. If you're cold turn up the heat. If you're hot turn it down. Why is that difficult?

• 1 month later...

I think Push Button Start is awesome... admittedly, I haven't actually used it yet (besides test drives). But this feature was one of the reasons I went for the Focus ST over the WRX.

Having the whole keyless thing to unlock the door just seems sooo convenient. I know how many times I'm struggling to reach for my keys while carrying stuff.