Making Push Button Start a Standard Feature

Furious1Auto

ard On All Ford Products?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would You like To See Push Button Start Standard On All Ford Products?

• Yes
    • No

This topic is irritating to me because I have stressed the importance of this change several times, and with no response in the product offerings. I know that many viewing this site, and many of the higherarchy are a bunch of stuffy shirt tuckers that don't follow the urban trends. This is why much of the time there is not innovation until after you see another manufacturer has success with a product or option. I also know you do not listen to Hip-Hop music because it is not part of your culture. The current trend is that popular urban music artists continually brag in many of their tracks that; "Every car I own starts with the push of a button." Rick Ross, Gorilla Zoe, Wiz Kalifa and many others are implying that, that is a sign of status. Traditionally it is only high end vehicles offering this feature as an option. If Ford's entire line-up were to have the same ignition system it would cut costs by buying in volume, and make Ford vehicles stand out amongst the rest being that every Ford has it.

The way it should operate is that the key be the size of a credit card that fits in your wallet. If this key is within a certain distance from the vehicle (say 15') then the vehicle senses it and the doors will unlock, and the push button start should be enabled. For instance, if the doors are unlocked, and the vehicle running and the person with the key in their pocket gets out and walks 15' away, then the vehicle automatically shuts down the engine, and the doors lock initiating the simulated security system beeping the horn.

I know Ford already possesses this tech because every turnstyle at every plant entrance works in the same manner allowing the assembly workers through the gates to go to work. I didn't even have to take my ID badge out of my wallet to scan in to OHAP.

Edited by Furious1Auto
  • Like 1

"urban musicians"

They brag on the car like they brag on drinking Dom and wearing Rolexes.

Maybe Ford should give out some ho's and pimp slaps while they are answering the need to let so called musicians dictate design policy.

And the Ford can rename all of their models. The Fiesta becomes the Yo. The Focus the Yo Yo. The full size truck becomes the Fo-shizzle150. The Mustang is the Stank on the Hang-Low

Yeah, this could work. Musicians the no one with a job has heard of have all the answers.

• Like 1

No you don't, there are systems that will allow you to unlock, and remote start your vehicle from your cell phone. How bout locating remote battery charging ports so you don't even have to pop your hood to charge your battery if it dies? A piece of wire, and two terminals to hang your battery cables? That's what I had on my pick-up truck. I added other common sense things too. I welded a bleeder screw in to my tranny pan also to make servicing it cleaner and easier. As much as I hate to say it the urban culture has allot of influence over what is considered to be cool. These people are growing into adults with money to buy. Some of the trends I can't stand. Pants on the ground, showing your underwear, and taking big body cars from the 80's and lifting them with big rims. All these things make wanna choke the kids doing it. However my opinion doesn't matter to them, so why bother, they will decide what they like regardless of my opinion. It is also becoming more and more popular despite my angst.

It does however need to be noted, and mildly ingratiated into future product offerings. This one feature being standard or at least available for no additional cost would give Ford a huge advantage in perception, while not costing a fortune to implement. Not only that it does not just appeal to the urban market, it also appeals to middle aged people that like to show off their toys. I mean really, as stupid as parallel park assist is, it is equally impressive to others for them to see your car can park itself. The owners love to show it off. What influence does people seeing things like this have on people's perception of a brand, or model? Ford does it all the time with concept vehicles. They use a model that will never go into production to entice buyers into buying products that will be offered. We are talking about cheap tech, to drive positive perception. Not high dollar upgrades that will affect profitability. I mean like Nav systems, that's cheap tech too. Ford might charge $500.00 a unit, but for half of that I could have a system with NAV that is as capable as a SYNC system and keep my steering controls from the aftermarket. I paid $180 for my stereo head unit in my Fusion, and it is exactly what I have described.

Edited by Furious1Auto

With push button start or credit cards in the wallet, there should also be a setting to enable and disable a numerical code entry.

This could be useful if you are headed somewhere where wallets are frequently stolen or Russian hackers scan your credit card and then walk around the mall parking lot checking to see which car starts.

Interesting. Maybe a LoJack integration. I don't think vehicle theft is such an issue anymore since onstar and LoJack have been introduced though. I remember a story on the radio where 4 men stole a Cadillac and used it in a bank Robery, the onstar system had them in cuffs in minutes. Not that it can't happen. This additional security must be able to be disabled to keep the conveinience for people who live in rural areas, or don't fear theft. The Ford Crown Vic utilized a radio button sequence to keep patrol cars from being stolen. My brother is a patrolman, and that's how his new cruiser is set up.

Edited by Furious1Auto

Why not, I had a 17 page argument with someone on this site about the benefits of a turbo, and within 2 weeks the twin force, later named the ecoboost turbo was announced. You never know who you are talking to here. If I make a strong enough case, and if the right person reads it, changes can be made. What I know for sure is that Ford wants to build vehicles people want, I am just pointing out a trend that the descision makers won't see a demand for. They are from a different culture. However Ford also wants to generate sales in that market without hurting their base. The boomers are collecting social security, and soon that market will be gone. They know it too, cause I read this in Ford World in 04'.

You don't think they didn't get ideas for contract proposels from this site? Or haven't tested reaction for concepts here. One of the designers delivered a rendering of the current Fusion here long before it ever went into production. I was ragging on it and said its ugly. I was wrong and it looks much better in life then the rendering. I also ripped on the Fiesta's name. I knew it was someone from marketing defending the name because they would not relent. They were trying to sell me on it. I'm also the one that caught the union reps selling the contract on 07'.

In the case of push button start the benefit outweighs the cost. Paddle shifters might be nice, but most vehicles sold are automatic, and the shift points are set for fuel economy. The CVT tranny is a better idea. Paddle shifters have a limited market, and most the customers probably would not appreciate them.

Edited by Furious1Auto

I prefer fewer electronics in my car. Give me a vehicle that a simple key works and can be replaced easily (if needed) and for around $4 is a winner for me.

The "good old days" of getting a something as simple as a spare ignition key cut and programmed is a thing of the past.

Example-

2013 Focus uses a "laser cut" ignition key. Fancy name for a side cut square key that few Ford dealers have machines to cut one. My dealer and others in the area must send it out and have it cut because they claim the machine to cut it is several thousand dollars and they will not spring for it. So if you loose your key plan on a day or two wait to replace. The cost? a mere $ 140'ish for a frigging Focus.

Standard PATS key was around $20 (cut locally) and can be programmed yourself if you have 2 working keys. I think the Highway Patrol dropped the PATS keys from their cars due to cost and time to replace.

If you want toys or gadgets put that crap on high end cars if you want it. Keep it off normal cars and trucks.

I don't know about being the maker. It's Ford's design, but at the time when we were discussing it there were no turbo or supercharged options available on the Ford line-up. I believe the last was the Thunderbird SC, or the SHO. Big power, smaller engines. The price of gasoline was approaching $4 a gallon at the time. And how else do you get hi output out of a smaller more fuel efficient engine? The concept for buydowns was also introduced on this site, and the company ran with it. They do read, I just don't know how relevant BOF is anymore since many have migrated to FaceBook and other networking sites.

50cal them days are long gone. They all have fobs now. I accidentally left my key ring in my apprin at the plant and discarded it in the bin at the end of my shift. In 07' the dealer quoted me $180 a peice for my Fusion & Edge keys plus $80 a peice to program them. Do the math, how much would it have cost me to replace my keys? Thank goodness I found them.

The card key entry would be cheaper, and could be charged like a hotel key with every key being the same. No more tracking key cuts by VIN number.

Edited by Furious1Auto

The way it should operate is that the key be the size of a credit card that fits in your wallet. If this key is within a certain distance from the vehicle (say 15') then the vehicle senses it and the doors will unlock, and the push button start should be enabled. For instance, if the doors are unlocked, and the vehicle running and the person with the key in their pocket gets out and walks 15' away, then the vehicle automatically shuts down the engine, and the doors lock initiating the simulated security system beeping the horn.

I don't like the automatic shutdown either. The method Ford and other automakers implement now makes more sense: You can start the vehicle and leave it running if you leave the vehicle with the key. However, you cannot start it again once you turn it off. I see nothing wrong with that method.

No you don't, there are systems that will allow you to unlock, and remote start your vehicle from your cell phone. How bout locating remote battery charging ports so you don't even have to pop your hood to charge your battery if it dies? A piece of wire, and two terminals to hang your battery cables?

There should /always be a manual way to gain entrance to the vehicle in the event of a power failure.

• Like 1

The second statement I have to agree with, there has to be a way to unlock the doors to open them mechanically, however the key holes do to not necessarily have to be located in the traditional location. Also the engine shut down, it could be limited to being controlled by the start button on the dash, however if the ignition is not tied to the key then a thief would only have to gain entry to steal your vehicle. Check out the systems on the Corvette to get a better understanding. It would be a great convenience to have this system. Imagine leaving the house and only having to find your wallet, and Phone. Instead of your wallet, phone, and then your keys. Simplifying peoples lives makes a statement.

The second statement I have to agree with, there has to be a way to unlock the doors to open them mechanically, however the key holes do to not necessarily have to be located in the traditional location.

Yet they make the most sense there, as that is easiest place to make them interact with the locking mechanism and it is also the location most customers are familiar with.

Also the engine shut down, it could be limited to being controlled by the start button on the dash, however if the ignition is not tied to the key then a thief would only have to gain entry to steal your vehicle. Check out the systems on the Corvette to get a better understanding. It would be a great convenience to have this system. Imagine leaving the house and only having to find your wallet, and Phone. Instead of your wallet, phone, and then your keys. Simplifying peoples lives makes a statement.

I'm certain the ignition is tied to the key. Otherwise you would be able to start and stop the vehicle as many times as you wanted to after gaining access to the vehicle, regardless of the proximity to the key, which is not the case. Now, if your method of gaining entry is by tricking the car into thinking you have a key, then you might have something. But a smash-and-grab isn't going to do it.

Certainly Ford could make the key the size of a credit card already, but with the card you lose the functionality of remote liftgate, remote start, etc. You generally need to bring keys to your house with you anyway. Adding a fob to the keychain isn't much of any kind of inconvenience as far as I can gather.

I get it. The same complacency that nearly bankrupted the automakers. I see nothing wrong, and there is no need to raise the bar.

It's not a matter of raising the bar. It's a matter of going beyond what is practical for the sake of doing something different. I'm sure phone makers could make a cell phone the size of the one in Zoolander too, but would it really be more useful than what is already out there?

zoolander-phone_fgo7F_52.jpg

if the doors are unlocked, and the vehicle running and the person with the key in their pocket gets out and walks 15' away, then the vehicle automatically shuts down the engine, and the doors lock initiating the simulated security system beeping the horn.

This is a safety issue... a big one. What if the key fob battery dies on the freeway?

I had a real life example but i can't find the article.

Edited by blazerdude20

This is a safety issue... a big one. What if the key fob battery dies on the freeway?

I had a real life example but i can't find the article.

A battery doesn't just die out of the blue. It gradually loses its charge, and there should be warnings stating such. Maybe even as much as preventing the car from starting when the battery gets to a certain state, or limiting to 3 or 4 starts or something like that once it reaches a pre-set value.

A battery doesn't just die out of the blue. It gradually loses its charge, and there should be warnings stating such. Maybe even as much as preventing the car from starting when the battery gets to a certain state, or limiting to 3 or 4 starts or something like that once it reaches a pre-set value.

True. But! You have to build products to the lowest denominator. You know there will be people who are lazy and push off changing the battery. It would be the persons fault but the headlines would read "Ford key kills driver"

True. But! You have to build products to the lowest denominator. You know there will be people who are lazy and push off changing the battery. It would be the persons fault but the headlines would read "Ford key kills driver"

That's why you do this:

...preventing the car from starting when the battery gets to a certain state, or limiting to 3 or 4 starts or something like that once it reaches a pre-set value.

What if the fob just takes a dump? or the battery goes bad suddenly? You have to think worst case scenario.

What if the alternator suddenly dies and the battery in the car was already nearing death? What if the PCM instantly fries? What if a tire has a blowout? What if the car runs out of gas? What if a serpentine belt breaks? What if all the spark plugs simultaneously quit sparking? What if the accelerator pedal sticks? What if the bridge is out up ahead? What if a deer runs in front of the car? What if a meteor falls out of the sky and breaks the windshield? What if a UFO comes along and sucks you up and probes you?

And I'm sure there are safeguards to keep the engine from shutting off as you are going down the freeway.

A simple check:

if (keyOutOfRange)
{
 if (GetCurrentSpeed() == 0 && IsCarInPark())
 {
	  ShutOffCar();
 }
 else
 {
	  // Do Nothing
 }
}

Edited by fordmantpw

What if the alternator suddenly dies and the battery in the car was already nearing death? What if the PCM instantly fries? What if a tire has a blowout? What if the car runs out of gas? What if a serpentine belt breaks? What if all the spark plugs simultaneously quit sparking? What if the accelerator pedal sticks? What if the bridge is out up ahead? What if a deer runs in front of the car? What if a meteor falls out of the sky and breaks the windshield? What if a UFO comes along and sucks you up and probes you?

And I'm sure there are safeguards to keep the engine from shutting off as you are going down the freeway.

A simple check:

if (keyOutOfRange)
{
 if (GetCurrentSpeed() == 0 && IsCarInPark())
 {
	  ShutOffCar();
 }
 else
 {
	  // Do Nothing
 }
}

:lol:

All i'm saying is there has to be a reason that every car company has the system setup this way. I'm sure the legal department had something to do with it.

Look at it this way - what good does it do to shut off the engine when the fob is out of range? The only advantage I see is that you don't have to turn off the vehicle when you get out.

But what if the fob falls out of your pocket inside the vehicle? You get out and it stays unlocked and keeps running. That's not good.

All of those potential problems just so the driver doesn't have to turn off the vehicle. Not a good tradeoff IMO.