Buy a Chevy...get thrown in JAIL!!!

twintornados

A $5,600 (or greater) discount on a new Chevy Traverse AND a $2.2 million lawsuit? What a deal! :headspin:

I don't see a $2.2M settlement but it does seem like a slam dunk case. They'll probably settle out of court for a few thousand.

Now that i think about it - wouldn't that also be filing a false police report?

Edited by akirby

I don't see a $2.2M settlement but it does seem like a slam dunk case. They'll probably settle out of court for a few thousand.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the police would arrest the registered owner for theft.

I'm sure if things had gone the other way and it was the buyer taking the $5600 hit, the dealer would

have showed him the signed contract and told him to pound sand.

I just skimmed the lawsuit (LINK). Apparently, one of the counts Mr. Sawyer is pursuing against the dealership (malicious prosecution) suggests the dealership did indeed falsify its report to the Chesapeake Police Dept.:

77. Any arguments as to the contract would have been a purely civil matter. As the mistake by the dealership was unilateral the dealership used malice and criminal prosecution for no criminal act to try and scare the Plaintiff [customer] into fixing their mistake.

79. Defendant's [dealership's] failure to provide the investigating officer, J.E. Jackson, with a copy of the buyer's order, contract, purchase information, was done intentionally and maliciously to mislead the officer so that the warrant for Plaintiff's arrest would be issued and further constituted a falsification of the report to the Chesapeake Police Department.

I just skimmed the lawsuit (LINK). Apparently, one of the counts Mr. Sawyer is pursuing against the dealership (malicious prosecution) suggests the dealership did indeed falsify its report to the Chesapeake Police Dept.:

Exactly what i was thinking, it's a civil matter and if a dealer principle realizes that his staff have goofed, then it's on the dealership.

Now, this dealership has created a shit storm of negative publicity, does it deserve a $2.2 million law suit?

Probably not but the longer this goes on, the worse it is for the dealer.

IMO, the best course now is to refund the buyer the whole amount and offer free servicing for the next four years.and pray to god he accepts that.

This stupid dealership missed a great opportunity to advertise that "Our mistakes" are your savings,

Completely and utterly insane that they followed this course of action with only one possible outcome.

If all of the Plaintiff's accusations are true, these dealership employees are going to fry on an open flame.

Not to mention the lost business. Who wants to buy from a dealership that harasses customers?

Edited by J-150