MFT Update 3.5.1

Escapism

I'd be pretty pissed if all it needed was an SD card, I think the NAV package was an extra $850, and hell if paid $850 for a 2 gig SD card

You do need the SD card and the Nav software may or may not be in the MFT package, but either way Nav won't work unless it's activated and you can't do that with a software update.

So no - you can't just add Nav by adding the SD map card. Maybe in the future it will be a $800 dealer add-on but not yet.

OK, I've loaded it on a finger drive and will update the system the next time I can drive around for an hour,I dont't like to idle the car for more than 10 minutes.Thanks for the link inswva.

OK, but the voice command actually tells you to do certain things during the update and I can't remember if she told me to leave it in park. I sat in my car for the whole 50 minutes and she came on and talked about 3 times. I have never heard that it is OK to drive around during an update and I for one am definitely not in that camp. Just my .02 cents.

My update was very easy and smooth and its 50 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Edited by Escapism

The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT turn off your vehicle. You must wait until you see a message, "Installation complete". When "Installation Complete" displays on the center screen, touch "OK".

While the update is loading, SYNC® will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

found this in update description.

The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT turn off your vehicle. You must wait until you see a message, "Installation complete". When "Installation Complete" displays on the center screen, touch "OK".

While the update is loading, SYNC® will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

found this in update description.

Thanks for posting this. I was already aware of the process from when I updated the system in my Focus.

Anybody else update yet?

I updated mine last week when the TSB came out, it's been pretty good so far, other than typical phone compatibility issues. I don't have the navigation option.

It seems to have resolved the iPod resume problem which the SYNC support said was supposed to be paused upon startup becuase we are to disconnect our USB device every time we leave the vehicle. Yea right, which they would all get on the same page with how this system is supposed to work. Clock has been on time so far, temperature redout is back, and Sirius presets haven't disappeared yet. Now next they need to fix the volume indicator, and give us the option to show more options on the home page, which is useless to me right now.

Edited by svtenthusiast

I updated mine last week when the TSB came out, it's been pretty good so far, other than typical phone compatibility issues. I don't have the navigation option.

Did you take it to the dealer or download and install yourself?

As with everything from the Internet, I'm concerned about downloads. I appreciate the link in response to my question inswva, and because your a Ford owner and Blue Oval Forum member, I have confidence you're a stand up guy, but I don't know you, or what the original source was, so I hope you understand my hesitation.

On a little deeper dive this morning, I found the TSB and it had a downloadable link and I assume that's where your link in the post above came from.

Edited by transitman

As with everything from the Internet, I'm concerned about downloads. I appreciate the link in response to my question inswva, and because your a Ford owner and Blue Oval Forum member, I have confidence you're a stand up guy, but I don't know you, or what the original source was, so I hope you understand my hesitation.

On a little deeper dive this morning, I found the TSB and it had a downloadable link and I assume that's where your link in the post above came from.

I updated myself because of my coorilation to the dealer, but if there is any doubt take it to the dealer and have them do it. If you have nav, they need to be involved as I am sure you have learned above.

The link in the TSB is the same source the techs download it from.

As you have discovered, the link is indeed the one embedded in the TSB .pdf file. However, you can certainly remove all doubt by having the dealer perform the update.

Yes, and that is the TSB I am referring to as far as being able to drive your vehicle during the process. Maybe its fine as some have stated but this particular TSB omits the part about driving. I am being overly cautious when it comes to MFT software updates I guess.

Nope. But if you download it and screw something up beyond what the dealer would have had to do originally you might be charged for the extra time.

Nothing really "voids the warranty" but if you've done something unauthorized to the vehicle that causes a problem then ford can deny the warranty claim on that specific part.

If Ford, who has allowed customers to do their own sync/mft updates for years and who would have to expend a lot of money to get dealers to do these upgrades under warranty - they must have a REALLY good reason.

Well, been driving around with it fr 3 days now and not one problem. Seen many other forums with folks that have had it installed, both by the dealer and DIYers with no problems and lots of positive feedback. It's all good in my book. No worries mate.

Edited by Escapism

Maybe I'm over thinking this. My latest concern is, since this is a dealer only upgrade due to the NAV aspect, what if in the future I have a MFT issue that is covered under warranty such as a APIM or hardware failure, I've self installed 3.5.1, the service department checks with Ford, there's no record of the upgrade and my warranty service is denied. In my opinion, this falls under making unauthorized alterations, once again, since it's a dealer only upgrade. Has anyone been able to report a successful installation on the syncmyride web site?

My guess is if you manually install and do a healthcheck it will update your version online, but that's just a guess. I think the only issue would be if you installed it on a vehicle it wasn't meant to be installed on like a fusion hybrid.

Thats not how I did mine. On Sync My Ride there is the "Sync Updates" tab. You then click "Report Successful Installs" button. It then asks you to plug into your computer the USB drive that you used to do the update in your car. My version then changed to 3.5.1 on my account after it confirmed. Easy peezy. If the dealer installs, I guess it would be up to them somehow to follow through with that part. Not sure how that would work. The vehicle health report sounds like a good guess.

I now show confirmed updates:

DA5T-14D546-AF

DA5T-14D546-BB

DA5T-14D546-DB

DA5T-14F496-AF

DA5T-14F497-AF

DA5T-14F497-AJ

DA5T-14F657-AK

Edited by Escapism

Thats not how I did mine. On Sync My Ride there is the "Sync Updates" tab. You then click "Report Successful Installs" button. It then asks you to plug into your computer the USB drive that you used to do the update in your car. My version then changed to 3.5.1 on my account after it confirmed. Easy peezy. If the dealer installs, I guess it would be up to them somehow to follow through with that part. Not sure how that would work

I now show confirmed updates:

DA5T-14D546-AF

DA5T-14D546-BB

DA5T-14D546-DB

DA5T-14F496-AF

DA5T-14F497-AF

DA5T-14F497-AJ

DA5T-14F657-AK

I understand that but some people have reported problems with the status checker app and healthcheck is easier since you don't have to even use a usb drive. But yes, that should also work.

I understand that but some people have reported problems with the status checker app and healthcheck is easier since you don't have to even use a usb drive. But yes, that should also work.

Yes, it "should" work and it did. After all, it does say "report successful installs". That's what I was doing, reporting a successful install. Just trying to be informative.