MFT Update 3.5.1

Escapism

No worries. From the Sync website:

Download the latest SYNC® with MyFord Touch® software updates at no charge from the SYNC Owner site to a USB drive. You can then install these updates in your vehicle. Afterwards, be sure to report the successful installation.

Only difference is I downloaded from the TSB. I do understand the concern people are having with the DIY versus having the dealer do it. What many folks are saying is that Ford put a stop to all vehicle sales at the dealer until this update was installed. Also said not to show off the system to potential customers until this update was installed. So Ford wants this update to be in every vehicle. I think having the dealer do it is Fords way of making sure its completed correctly. They need to do this because lets be real, there are folks who will figure out a way not follow the instructions and mess things up.

A good example. I am a serious photographer on the side. Pro photographers, after downloading their images, format the CF or SD cards EVERY time before the next shoot. Skipping this step can cause problems with high tech camera's. Many folks stick a USB drive into the Sync system without formatting. Most of the time you are fine, but every now and then.......trouble. My MFT system went haywire because of a gif file in one of my contacts on my phone. Took awhile to figure it out, but a Sync rep pointed me in the right direction. Just an example, sorry to ramble.

Edited by Escapism

I'm tempted to perform this upgrade, so I took a look at the TSB. It says "Please run OASIS using the VIN to search for open Field Servie Actions (FSA). If FSA 11A01, 11A02 and 11A03 are open, they must be performed...(else doing the upgrade)...will result in undesired system performance issues.".

So, does anyone know what FSA 11A01/2/3 are?

I'm tempted to perform this upgrade, so I took a look at the TSB. It says "Please run OASIS using the VIN to search for open Field Servie Actions (FSA). If FSA 11A01, 11A02 and 11A03 are open, they must be performed...(else doing the upgrade)...will result in undesired system performance issues.".

Well there you go. I knew there was a good reason not to allow self-installs through SMR.

I called my dealership this morning to set up an appointment, he ran my VIN and told me my car does not need an upgrade. I told him about my clock issue and the system coming on at start up and switching between FM and usb 1 & 2 after starting the car. He said bring it in and they will run a diagnostic test, so...

OASIS - Online Automotive Service Information System

This just checks your service history. I know, scary stuff.

1. FSA 11A03 - Retail customers eligible for self-installation (with and without navigation)

- These customers will receive a USB drive, an SD card (if vehicle equipped with navigation),

and instructions for completing the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE themselves. Customers

may elect to return to the dealer to have the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE performed at no

cost. The customer is requested to bring their USB and SD card (if applicable) with them to

the appointment.

Dealer Communication2. FSA 11A02 – Certain early Explorers (as identified in OASIS) and Fleet customers that must

return to the dealer for the PERFORMANCE UPGRADE.

- Corporate Fleet customers who don’t provide Ford with driver specific names and addresses

will receive a letter instructing them to return to the Dealer for the PERFORMANCE

UPGRADE.

3. FSA 11A01 - Retail customers ineligible for self-installation who must return to the dealer for the

PERFORMANCE UPGRADE (with and without navigation)

- These customers will receive only a letter directing them to return to the dealer to have the

PERFORMANCE UPGRADE performed, as they have a version of MyFord/MyLincoln Touch

software which requires a system reflash administered through the dealer’s IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Software) tool. Dealers

will use their seed stock of SD cards for navigation-equipped units.

To me, all this uproar/update stuff looks like a way for Ford to start getting a handle on Sync issues and trying to better document certain things. Again my opinion is this is short of calling it a recall. Best of luck, in a way I feel sorry for the dealerships. Like they don't have enough to do with just the nuts and bolts stuff.

Edited by Escapism

Per the TSB:

Performing this TSB on vehicles with FSA 11A01 open, will result in undesired system performance issues.

This 11A01 is the one that could cause problems. Don't think our '13 Escapes fall under this, but here is some info on it. Looks like they have to reflash the APIM using the dealer computer.

- 11A01 Contains early VIP software level vehicles that require the full APIM image

reprograming using IDS. The 11A01 reprogramming procedure with IDS requires use of a computer, a battery charger, and the regular attention of the servicing technician throughout the download process.

Edited by Escapism

So I just picked up my Escape, Here is a picture of the NAV system before (top) and after (below), you can see a bunch of buttons have been moved (which is good since they are closer to the driver now. The Menu button is nice as it allows you to access a lot of stuff such as TravelLink, quickly canceling a route etc. The redraw on the map seems a lot faster and so does the responsiveness. I have not tried the voice commands yet.

They took my A3 Map, not sure if thats really a big deal but I guess I did pay for it, maybe I wanted to sell it?

Merge-NAV.jpg

Edited by howie411

I re-loaded the files on a properly formatted usb drive. The loaded files are: Gen2v351build12285..., DONTINDX.msa, autoinstall.lst & SyncMyRide

Are all these necessary for a successful download?

When you extract the files to your USB you should end up with a folder "SyncMyRide" and two files, "DONTINDX.msa" and "autoinstall.lst". Gen2v351build12285....., this is what the downloaded zip file is called before you extract the files.

Edited by Escapism

OASIS - Online Automotive Service Information System

This just checks your service history. I know, scary stuff.

1. FSA 11A03 - ...

Very cool that you posted this info - thanks. I was able to figure out OASIS, but from what I found, I thought only a dealership, or the like, could get access. May I ask how you got this information?

Very cool that you posted this info - thanks. I was able to figure out OASIS, but from what I found, I thought only a dealership, or the like, could get access. May I ask how you got this information?

Just searching the web. Seems to be conflicting info about Oasis. If you ask for it the dealer should give it to you versus the dealer not giving it to you either by playing dumb or stalling. Either way, sounds like its just a tool they use to see any and all worked performed per your VIN, warrenty work or otherwise. Maybe more to it, maybe less. After all, its only as good as the data thats put into it.

Edited by Escapism

Well, based on the response from my service department yesterday that I didn't need an update and rather than going back and forth with them, this morning I went ahead and successfully installed the update on my non-NAV system. Since my system was currently working OK, except the clock and system on at start up, I don't see much of a change other than the temp display back on the screen. Time will tell if it resolved the two ongoing issues. I tried to update my status through SMR and it stated there were no updates on the drive. I tried to do it at work and had to use a computer that I knew had ActiveX installed, I'll try again tonight at home. My iPhone paired very quickly, I lost all my preset but my FM presets were all still there.

Edited by transitman

I was able to update mine successfully but no luck getting syncmyride.com to see the update. Tried several browsers but none could see the right file on the USB drive. I could see the USB drive on the computer so not sure where things went wrong. No complaints about the update so far but I haven't really driven very far since I installed it.

Something that's never happened before puzzled me tonight. When I started the car to leave work, I noticed the clock was displaying the wrong time (I always check the time to see if it's off). I thought, crap not fixed, then I noticed it was the time I shut the car off when I went in to work, now I thought, wierd. By the time I looked away to pull my phone out of my pocket, it had reset to the correct time. Huh..., I hope it's a one time thing and not a new bug, because bugs seem to breed like rabbits.

Something that's never happened before puzzled me tonight. When I started the car to leave work, I noticed the clock was displaying the wrong time (I always check the time to see if it's off). I thought, crap not fixed, then I noticed it was the time I shut the car off when I went in to work, now I thought, wierd. By the time I looked away to pull my phone out of my pocket, it had reset to the correct time. Huh..., I hope it's a one time thing and not a new bug, because bugs seem to breed like rabbits.

Last week I was resolved to wait and have the dealer do this upgrade, but as luck would have it,my time went off and it ercked me so I did this upgrade myself.I had no issues installing it and was able to update the synymyride site.The other day,the same thing happened to me.The time briefly showed the time the car was last shut off.It only happened once.

I was able to update mine successfully but no luck getting syncmyride.com to see the update. Tried several browsers but none could see the right file on the USB drive. I could see the USB drive on the computer so not sure where things went wrong. No complaints about the update so far but I haven't really driven very far since I installed it.

Well it never found my USB drive but the version on SyncMyRide.com now shows 3.5.1 so I think I'm set!