Toyota loyal relative looking into new Fusion

Am I like most buyers? Of course not. But if your aunt is as assertive as you say and they are both professionals in a demanding field, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to be a prepared buyer. Which brings the circle all the way around. They last bought a new car a long time ago, from a dealer who had adopted a philosophy of hand-holding and "don't do a thing" and having to adjust now is jarring. I still think they'd be better off with a Toyota because even if the dealer abandons all other work with a focus only on locating, closing and delivering this Fusion (even so far as to somehow figuring out a way to swap the wheels), they will be unsatisfied with the experience. And certainly, with the first problem, regardless of how minor, they will cast Fords as poorly built and loudly assert they should've just bought another Toyota. "Loyalty to Toyota does not mean anti-Ford" is another strange statement. It's almost exactly that--except instead of "anti-Ford" this strong Toyota loyalty is "anti-anything not a Toyota." They are sticky buyers and are VERY inelastic.

I'm not anti-Toyota but I've flirted with buying an FR-S after my disappointing experience with a Mustang GT rental, however my 6'0 fat ass looks weird in them. Also I've owned nothing but Fords, I'm Ford loyal yet I'm not anti-(brand X). Being loyal to a particular brand does not equal being anti-something else.

She is assertive, I've seen her in action. They left the first dealer because they were out, so they had nothing to show, yet they also made no effort to see what else might have been out there. Driving a couple of cities over to check out another dealer that DID have one in stock though I know means that they are both totally not serious about this whole thing of course. I mean, I know when I'm set on buying a Toyota in the first place the first thing I do is waste my own time by pretending to look at a bunch of other cars first.

They bought the last new car 8 years ago. From the same dealer as the other two. The Highlander and the Camry were special order. The Corolla was the only "off the lot" deal. The Highlander was purchased with leather which wasn't available on the option package they wanted. They know how to order a car. It's not their first time, and regardless of what has been said on here before, buying a car 8 years ago wasn't all that different than it is today. Especially when you consider that they bought an Asian car.... you know.... the ones that pretty much are responsible for the whole "Package 300AB" stuff that's the norm in the industry. Yet beyond that fact, they managed to get the car equipped how they wanted, even though particular options weren't necessarily available on their option package. So obviously, they don't have a problem paying for something even if it's a dealer add on. They research, they know what's available, and they are disappointed that the dealer is not even entertaining certain options as a dealer add on, knowing full well it's not going to be free.

As far as this - "But how is the salesperson supposed to get them a vehicle that might not exist?" tidbit........

Well...

Step 1 - Find out what the customer wants

We are still waiting for the salesperson to get to that point. White pearl, 2.0L, Titanium*, Spoiler delete, Pioneer stereo, preferably no ambient lighting but IIRC, that's standard ont he TItanium. The only asterisk is that they MIGHT be interested in an SE if they can option it similarly to the Titanium, however, that's something that would be better determined while sitting in the car.

But maybe that's asking too much of the salesperson now. Apparantly their only function now is to sign the contract and hand you the keys.

Edited by Sixt9coug

Send him a PM. If your aunt's a straight shooter and knows exactly what she wants without trying to bend him over backwards on price, he'll probably enjoy working with her.

I'll talk to her and see if they've made any more headway this week then bring it up as an option. She's not gonna try to screw anyone over on the price, she knows what they sell for and she knows they are a new model so there's exactly bumpkis available for rebates and stuff.

I'm not anti-Toyota but I've flirted with buying an FR-S after my disappointing experience with a Mustang GT rental, however my 6'0 fat ass looks weird in them. Also I've owned nothing but Fords, I'm Ford loyal yet I'm not anti-(brand X). Being loyal to a particular brand does not equal being anti-something else.

She is assertive, I've seen her in action. They left the first dealer because they were out, so they had nothing to show, yet they also made no effort to see what else might have been out there. Driving a couple of cities over to check out another dealer that DID have one in stock though I know means that they are both totally not serious about this whole thing of course. I mean, I know when I'm set on buying a Toyota in the first place the first thing I do is waste my own time by pretending to look at a bunch of other cars first.

They bought the last new car 8 years ago. From the same dealer as the other two. The Highlander and the Camry were special order. The Corolla was the only "off the lot" deal. The Highlander was purchased with leather which wasn't available on the option package they wanted. They know how to order a car. It's not their first time, and regardless of what has been said on here before, buying a car 8 years ago wasn't all that different than it is today. Especially when you consider that they bought an Asian car.... you know.... the ones that pretty much are responsible for the whole "Package 300AB" stuff that's the norm in the industry. Yet beyond that fact, they managed to get the car equipped how they wanted, even though particular options weren't necessarily available on their option package. So obviously, they don't have a problem paying for something even if it's a dealer add on. They research, they know what's available, and they are disappointed that the dealer is not even entertaining certain options as a dealer add on, knowing full well it's not going to be free.

As far as this - "But how is the salesperson supposed to get them a vehicle that might not exist?" tidbit........

Well...

Step 1 - Find out what the customer wants

We are still waiting for the salesperson to get to that point. White pearl, 2.0L, Titanium*, Spoiler delete, Pioneer stereo, preferably no ambient lighting but IIRC, that's standard ont he TItanium. The only asterisk is that they MIGHT be interested in an SE if they can option it similarly to the Titanium, however, that's something that would be better determined while sitting in the car.

But maybe that's asking too much of the salesperson now. Apparantly their only function now is to sign the contract and hand you the keys.

Congrats. You win. I give up. I actually had a whole paragraph on this...but you're not understanding my point and frankly, it's not worth trying another way of explaining my point of view.

In fact, after I deleted that whole paragraph, I found myself writing another whole paragraph that I deleted. If they DO end up buying a Fusion I will openly admit to being wrong.

But for them to end up with a Fusion, they will have to do what they appear to have been unwilling to do thus far: 1) Compromise on desired features owing to limited availability of in-stock models, 2) suffer a degradation of their principles by ordering the vehicle to get exactly what they want and sacrificing $75 to the Great State of California at the behest of Lord Governor Jerry Brown, OR 3) pick up the phone, call the salesperson, bark at him a little for not getting back to them and ask what he's doing to help them and/or using the internet to search inventories of other dealers, even beyond the sphere of Southern California. I wish them the best of luck.

I test drove the Fusion a few days ago for friends shopping...VERY impressed on how well it handled for a FWD sedan. Felt tight and controlled. I tested both engines, 1.6L and 2.0L, the 1.6L felt pretty peppy overall, cept for the 2-3 shift where I felt a bit "lacking", but again not everyone will drive that car like I would, so for the ordinary person its more than enough. Materials were top notch as well. Soon after I tested a Camry and I'm amazed of how "lacking" the plasticky interior was. So much hard plastic throughout, very mediocre interior. I think my friend will be going with a Fusion 2.0L.

suffer a degradation of their principles by ordering the vehicle to get exactly what they want and sacrificing $75 to the Great State of California at the behest of Lord Governor Jerry Brown

This is the part I don't understand. If the car was $75 more to begin with they wouldn't care. It's a $30K vehicle! That's basically one full tank of gas. It's a stupid reason and I think that's what BrewfanGRB was upset about, just like the other examples I posted about being penny wise and pound foolish.

As for sitting on their hands waiting for the dealer to call back and coddle them - that's also ridiculous. If you don't like the dealer or the service then cross them off the list and find another one. Or just pick up the phone and call them to see what happened. Maybe the salesperson fell ill and hasn't been working. Maybe they got fired. Maybe they had the wrong phone number. Just ASK and then decide if you want to continue doing business with them. But don't just sit there and do nothing and fret about an extra $75.

Decide which vehicle you want and go get quotes from several dealers and if you need to order it then order it and be done with it. If you don't like any of the Ford dealers then go buy a Lexus. Just do something!

This is actually a good story in that hopefully with new Fusion, more Asian buyers are cross shopping the Fusion as they probably like and should like its exterior and interior looks better. I suspect the 2013 Fusion will get more conquest sales than previous generation Fusion. The Camry just doesn't have the road presence of new Fusion. I'm finally starting to see 2-3 new Fusions on street now and that is good as more get out there and show off their road presence.

As for sitting on their hands waiting for the dealer to call back and coddle them - that's also ridiculous. If you don't like the dealer or the service then cross them off the list and find another one. Or just pick up the phone and call them to see what happened. Maybe the salesperson fell ill and hasn't been working. Maybe they got fired. Maybe they had the wrong phone number. Just ASK and then decide if you want to continue doing business with them. But don't just sit there and do nothing and fret about an extra $75.

Decide which vehicle you want and go get quotes from several dealers and if you need to order it then order it and be done with it. If you don't like any of the Ford dealers then go buy a Lexus. Just do something!

This is spot-on. It's unknown why the salesperson didn't get back to them. The aunt and uncle, Sixt9Coug and others are assuming it's because the salesperson sucks and is lazy. Is that the most probable reason? Yeah, probably. But as Akirby notes, the salesperson could've been fired and if he just made a note to himself, his replacement wouldn't have any idea that he was to follow up. Or maybe he is sick. There are dozen other reasons (but decidedly less likely) he didn't follow up other than "I don't care". That's why I don't understand why the aunt and uncle (especially if they are "VERY assertive") wouldn't just make a phone call.

This is spot-on. It's unknown why the salesperson didn't get back to them. The aunt and uncle, Sixt9Coug and others are assuming it's because the salesperson sucks and is lazy. Is that the most probable reason? Yeah, probably. But as Akirby notes, the salesperson could've been fired and if he just made a note to himself, his replacement wouldn't have any idea that he was to follow up. Or maybe he is sick. There are dozen other reasons (but decidedly less likely) he didn't follow up other than "I don't care". That's why I don't understand why the aunt and uncle (especially if they are "VERY assertive") wouldn't just make a phone call.

from my standpoint could even be an alternate issue....availability concerns....we have ONE on our lot, hard to get enthusiastic with a selection of ONE , and consequently holding MSRP......or...GASP...above....

Just order the car the way you want it for gosh sake. I am amazed when adults act like 7 year olds - got to have it now, right this very minute, or I am going somewhere else - and can't wait a month or two for something that is going to last 10 years. Or worse yet, the dealership will talk the buyer into a color or other stuff you don't want, and you have to live with something you don’t like for 10 years after spending big bucks. The extra sales tax will be nothing compared to living with a bad decision for a decade. Just order the car.

Kev, I wish everyone had that sentiment but unfortunately its usually the opposite. Society ( and I wont include 69's relatives in this generalization ) has become one of entitlement and instant gratification, I will ven fess up as I have been witnessed cussing at the computer screen because a smart ass comment on Bon locked up, took ages to post and lost its "entrance"....lol.....people dont have the patience, and this is compounded with issues such as supply, which in the Fusions case ( and if I remember rightly I stated it would be delayed or have issues ) is now highlighted by a bumper nad headlamp issue. Theres other issues as well, now everyone seems to think that the Volts $199 a month lease applies to ALL hybrids, or the fact a Prius, and VW can be obtained at invoice, the same applies to the Fusion hybrid. Crazy business this I swear....but the impatience has slowly over the years gathered steam, and here we are with limited inventories, competitors whoring out their equivilents, and long waits for ordered vehicles...thats three strikes which equates to lost sales..... Edited by Deanh

If they don't want a black leather interior they HAVE to go with an SE with the optional Dune Leather.

I came kind of close with a White Platinum SE with a Dune interior but it had a 1.6. Try a dealer search and/or the "let us find if for you" This isn't easy. There are 3 engines, 2 transmissions, 2 and 4wd. 3 trim levels and loads of options. (Plus Hybrids!)

I'll bet ya 50 cents the Toyota that got leather that was not available got sent to a local upholsterer.

If they don't want a black leather interior they HAVE to go with an SE with the optional Dune Leather.

I came kind of close with a White Platinum SE with a Dune interior but it had a 1.6. Try a dealer search and/or the "let us find if for you" This isn't easy. There are 3 engines, 2 transmissions, 2 and 4wd. 3 trim levels and loads of options. (Plus Hybrids!)

I'll bet ya 50 cents the Toyota that got leather that was not available got sent to a local upholsterer.

Tim, yeah Uncle didn't want the black interior, but my Aunt is ok with it. So I am sure that it's not a big deal. It's not a deal killer at all. In fact, my Aunt is the one that wants the white pearl color, Uncle wants gold (yuck) but my Aunt is overiding his decision there (thankfully, I think it's the new Fusions worst color). You are also right about the Highlander with the leather, it was a dealer done item and I'm pretty sure it probably went out to a local shop to get the covers. The issue with the wheels was a similar situation, they would want the other wheels, but even as a dealer added option they were told it couldn't be done, which was strange.

BrewfanGRB - No worries. if it makes you feel any better I was almost ready to delete my last post to you too. However, I fell into an episode of Breaking Bad and kept typing while listening to it in the background. It just kind of kept typing and I would have hated it to throw it all away. I understand your point, but of course, I feel differently. No harm, no foul. If you are ever in SoCal, I will gladly buy you a beer.

But none of that sissy light stuff..... I'm a beer snob after all.

Edited by Sixt9coug

and here I was gonna offer you a very, very fine Imperial Stout.... lol. I know absolutely nothing about fine Vodka. However, I have 5 friends here... They range from 18.2%abv and 19.2%abv. It's a polar opposite from Vodka, but a bourbon barrel imperial stout is a fine, fine drink indeed.

243BE233-F54A-4856-A0CE-B460516C54BA-18291-000008A230865CA7.jpg

and here I was gonna offer you a very, very fine Imperial Stout.... lol. I know absolutely nothing about fine Vodka. However, I have 5 friends here... They range from 18.2%abv and 19.2%abv. It's a polar opposite from Vodka, but a bourbon barrel imperial stout is a fine, fine drink indeed.

Somehow I figured an OC guy would bring up Bruery :)

There is a distinct lack of good stouts coming out of San Diego. Only two I can put my finger on, and one of those is not a year-'round release. I shall have to stop by that place next time I'm rolling up the 5.

Good Lord. 18.2% ABV? That's unbelievable. And seems like something that would knock me on my ass!

Tim, yeah Uncle didn't want the black interior, but my Aunt is ok with it. So I am sure that it's not a big deal. It's not a deal killer at all. In fact, my Aunt is the one that wants the white pearl color, Uncle wants gold (yuck) but my Aunt is overiding his decision there (thankfully, I think it's the new Fusions worst color). You are also right about the Highlander with the leather, it was a dealer done item and I'm pretty sure it probably went out to a local shop to get the covers. The issue with the wheels was a similar situation, they would want the other wheels, but even as a dealer added option they were told it couldn't be done, which was strange.

Ah ha! At least here in San Diego it's a fairly common practice to up-sell custom leather interiors. They are probably better than the factory jobs in many cases.

As for the wheels, I've seen dealers that do custom wheels........with SVT selections displayed on the showroom floor. Others, not at all. It's individual dealers of course.

There seems to be a lot of new Fusions at local San Diego dealers according to the online inventories. There is a car with a myriad of options available (as opposed to the 2 option packages and 2 stand alone options available on a Hyundai). On a car that is still ramping up.

My advise is to wait and find the right car, or order it exactly how you want it.

Ah ha! At least here in San Diego it's a fairly common practice to up-sell custom leather interiors. They are probably better than the factory jobs in many cases.

As for the wheels, I've seen dealers that do custom wheels........with SVT selections displayed on the showroom floor. Others, not at all. It's individual dealers of course.

There seems to be a lot of new Fusions at local San Diego dealers according to the online inventories. There is a car with a myriad of options available (as opposed to the 2 option packages and 2 stand alone options available on a Hyundai). On a car that is still ramping up.

My advise is to wait and find the right car, or order it exactly how you want it.

only issue with after market leather and wheels is in the case of leases, they cant be residualized......PLUS, if you add custom wheels, ford is WEIRD about a car coming back non-stock...we had an edge come back with $3000 of aftermarket wheels, they sent him a bill to return to stock......

only issue with after market leather and wheels is in the case of leases, they cant be residualized......PLUS, if you add custom wheels, ford is WEIRD about a car coming back non-stock...we had an edge come back with $3000 of aftermarket wheels, they sent him a bill to return to stock......

Kind of drives the point home that a lease isn't quite like owning a car!

Frankly, I think it reaches a point where you shouldn't even be calling it beer anymore.

Black Tuesday is still naturally fermented. As are Sam Adams Utopias (this year's release is 29%!)

Unlike other cheater beers in the ABV wars that utilize freeze distillation to get into the stratosphere. BrewDog, I'm looking at you....

However, seeing that it's still yeast, malts, hops and water at it's most basic level, I still consider it "beer". A beautiful, malty, sweet delicious bourboney stout.

Edited by Sixt9coug

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I figured it was a time to update. Please, no personal attacks on them this time ok? Just stating what happened ok?

Family members still tried to chase down a Fusion with the same dealers they initially worked with but still never got calls back after initial conversations. Eventually, they decided to try the AAA Auto buying program to track down something. They filled out the form for and waited. A day or so later, one dealer called with some information, and they talked price. Well, they said that the dealer was only quoting sticker price, and not the AAA rate. I assume this is close to X-Plan pricing, so after that experience, they decided maybe it wasn't meant to be with the Ford after all.

So off to the Lexus dealers.

They went to a Lexus dealer near the Ford dealer they were looking at. After some looking, my Uncle decided that the ES was more what he was looking for so he wanted to get one. He wanted gold (blech) with a tan interior (meh). Well, Lexus of Cerritos.... I mean, some unamed Lexus dealership said that they didn't have any gold ones in stock, and that it wasn't a popular color choice. However, he had a silver/black one in stock. Uncle does not want that and he doesn't like black interiors. He asked them to try and find another one in the color combo he wanted. Well, kind of like the Ford dealer, he waited and got no return call. He waited more, and no return calls. So I'm at their house last week fixing a printer problem, and I hear him on the phone with Cerritos Lexus.... err... Lexus dealer that shall not be named.... and he's still trying to get it through to him that he doesn't want a silver car, but the dealer basically refuses to find a gold one. So he has had enough with them, so he calls another dealer. Newport Beach Lexus is called, he gets a salesman, and that guy says he can look through local inventory and see what he can find. He will then call back the following day with details.

Guess what? This salesman actually follows through, he actually calls back and finds what they have been looking for. Two days later Uncle has a car in his driveway.

So after this, all the hassle and after a month of actually trying to purchase a car, they succeeded. I'm still bummed it's not a Ford, but they honestly believe right now that it was more the particular dealer they were at. They are still open to a Ford in the future, but they have sworn off of any dealer in the Cerritos Auto Square completely now. The Ford and Lexus dealers there were their 2nd and 3rd bad experiences with that auto mall. The first being a Honda dealer a few years ago.

It sucks two potential sales are lost because of a bad dealership experience.

Two sales? Oh, I neglected to mention. The hand-me-down Camry from my first post was given to my Uncle's brother instead of my cousin. So my Aunt decided to add a 2013 Highlander to their household along with the new Lexus as well.