2013 Fusion Headlamp recall

Wonderful news...NOT. The litany of challenging launches to say the least continue. For that reason, 2012 Focus, 2013 Escape and Fusion are now not on my list to buy when time comes. Only second year and up Euro Ford's on my list. The rest are guinea pigs that will endure recalls and TSB's. It will be years before Ford has above average reliability ratings. So I guess they better stand out exterior/interior/high tech gadget wise.

There are not ongoing problems - they're problems that, once fixed, will not reoccur. This doesn't say anything about long term quality and in fact these vehicles will be inspected many times over by the time they're delivered. I'm probably going to buy a Titanium hybrid and I'm not the least bit worried.

There are not ongoing problems - they're problems that, once fixed, will not reoccur. This doesn't say anything about long term quality and in fact these vehicles will be inspected many times over by the time they're delivered. I'm probably going to buy a Titanium hybrid and I'm not the least bit worried.

getting dark outside, i could get hit by lightning on the way home...LOVE livin on the edge....

Well...as an owner of one of the few 2013 Fusions on the road, I can confirm that it IS indeed a recall for the headlamps. I have not contacted the dealer to learn how quickly they will be able to address it, but I am not too worried. I have never seen a new car launch without some recall items on the very earliest production vehicles. It is a risk you take when buying something so new.

Here is a pic of the headlamp on mine. I am not sure of the nature of the issue, but these things look awesome and work very well.

8227955692_925941022a.jpg

IMG_9667 by texastenor, on Flickr

I recall Mulally saying that Ford was on a journey with its suppliers...

I'm wondering if that's code for a steep learning curve when rolling out modified Euro designs

Sounds like is more of a supplier issue with the headlights then an internal Ford problem...as for the bumper...well I can issue issues with that cropping up...but how much of a difference can there be in actually producing a European design that was basically redone by North American engineers for ROW usage?

Sounds like is more of a supplier issue with the headlights then an internal Ford problem...as for the bumper...well I can issue issues with that cropping up...but how much of a difference can there be in actually producing a European design that was basically redone by North American engineers for ROW usage?

IMO, it's primarily the supply base, but also has to do with changing to all-new platforms in the assembly plants. .

The design source will use suppliers they are comfortable with in part because they can get design assistance to ease their engineering load. So it makes sense that those suppliers are often in close proximity to the design lead. With new FoE-designed products like Escape and Fusion, Ford is rolling the supply base to a more European (FoE) focus from a more Japanese-centric supply base that is prevalent in the U.S. due to the overwhelmingly large number of U.S. and Japanese products produced here with great quality. Not only do the suppliers change, but so does the physical manufacturing plant where the components are made. It's not unsolveable in the long term, but can be very, very disruptive initially.

I have no idea what happened on the die messup reported by akirby. That's not a design issue, but a problem with Dearborn Tool and Die.

Wonderful news...NOT. The litany of challenging launches to say the least continue. For that reason, 2012 Focus, 2013 Escape and Fusion are now not on my list to buy when time comes. Only second year and up Euro Ford's on my list. The rest are guinea pigs that will endure recalls and TSB's. It will be years before Ford has above average reliability ratings. So I guess they better stand out exterior/interior/high tech gadget wise.

Just for argument's sake I'm going to point out that Ford's JD Power IQS score is still better now than it was in 2002. Just sayin'. ;)

Edited by NickF1011