2013 Fusion - Getting Tint

nmadole

Do you mind sharing where you went and the cost? I'm over in Dallas and looking for a good shop based on referral.

I went to Sunray Customs in Keller, TX. It was $375 to do the Huper Optik on all front and rear side windows and the back. They do a good job, very professional.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if to tinting the front in 5% would effect the auto sensing wipers?

I was not aware that any state allowed tinting of the windshield.

It's possible the car would continually be telling you to clean the windshield but I don't know if that would happen.

You need to define what you mean by 5%.

The usual percentage is the amount of light allowed through. You would not be able to drive a car that allowed only 5% of the light through.

PA law is a mess but the general belief in PA is that tint must allow 70% of the light through on side and rear windows.

Guest RRF985

I doubt you'll be able to get into the area between the camera and the windshield. If you do, just cut a small gap for the camera.

Most states allow tinting the windshield down to the AS1 line. That area has the camera in it so it is a legit question.

There are a few tint products which can be used on the entire windshield and are technically legal because the total amount of light still gets through. The laws are still being adjusted on this and I recommend you to do some research. 3M crystalline 90 and Llumar Air blue 80 are the two products I see most often being used on entire windshields. They are both fairly pricey. Supposedly you can't even really tell they are tinted by looking at them and they still let through over 70% of light on a meter test. I would recommend checking your state and talking to some local tint shops about what is legal.

I was not aware that any state allowed tinting of the windshield.

It's possible the car would continually be telling you to clean the windshield but I don't know if that would happen.

You need to define what you mean by 5%.

The usual percentage is the amount of light allowed through. You would not be able to drive a car that allowed only 5% of the light through.

PA law is a mess but the general belief in PA is that tint must allow 70% of the light through on side and rear windows.

I was thinking in terms of 5% blocking versus 95% light coming through...Sorry for the confusion. My main concern was being able to eliminate glare vs. keeping the Sun out. I have a prius where I did get tint on the windshield but it does not have the auto-sensing wipers.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my windows tinted today using Formula One Pinnacle 30.

It cost $400 plus tax. i am happy with the job they did and the look.

Pinnacle is a ceramic tint ( which causes no interference problems with electronics ), and has good heat and UV protection.

Here is a link to the specs of all the Formula One tints.

http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/FusionTX1/media/Fusion/20130518_140541_zpsa55fecd9.jpg.html]20130518_140541_zpsa55fecd9.jpg[/url]

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/FusionTX1/media/Fusion/20130518_140556_zpse7ad4693.jpg.html]20130518_140556_zpse7ad4693.jpg[/url]

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/FusionTX1/media/Fusion/20130518_140612_zpsf4c31fe1.jpg.html]20130518_140612_zpsf4c31fe1.jpg[/url]

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/FusionTX1/media/Fusion/20130518_140627_zpsfd8ab4ff.jpg.html]20130518_140627_zpsfd8ab4ff.jpg[/url]

Edited by fusionTX

Guest RRF985
How much did you pay? They wanted 450, but settled on 400. I wonder if I could have done better on price if I shopped around.

$405 tax included.

Do you have pics of the tint? Looks like the factory tint plus a 50% tint will get me to be state legal. Thank you

I should mention the sides are 50, the rear is 40.

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/RRF985/media/Fusion/Shark%20Fin/IMG_1469_zps21bb6fe3.jpg.html]IMG_1469_zps21bb6fe3.jpg[/url]

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/RRF985/media/Fusion/Shark%20Fin/IMG_1470_zps3059cae4.jpg.html]IMG_1470_zps3059cae4.jpg[/url]

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/RRF985/media/Fusion/Shark%20Fin/IMG_1471_zps1f67f2f8.jpg.html]IMG_1471_zps1f67f2f8.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

Ok spent 15 minutes trying to figure out to upload a photo and I give up!

Had mine tinted in Gainesville, FL with Charcoal ATR High performance metallized film, lifetime warranty, all windows including a front strip on the windshield tinted the darkest allowed by Florida law - only $185!

If someone can tell me an easy way to upload a photo here I will do so.

• 11 months later...

I got a quote from a highly rated place near me for carbon film ($350) and then carbon XP film ($450). Apparently, the XP is ceramic and rejects 30% more heat than the regular carbon. The film manufacturer is Suntek.

Does that seem too pricey??

And will tinting my rear window effect the auto dimming rear view mirror?

Edited by deadman64

Ok spent 15 minutes trying to figure out to upload a photo and I give up!

Had mine tinted in Gainesville, FL with Charcoal ATR High performance metallized film, lifetime warranty, all windows including a front strip on the windshield tinted the darkest allowed by Florida law - only $185!

If someone can tell me an easy way to upload a photo here I will do so.

You have to use the full editor when posting. If you're doing a quick reply, click the "More Reply Options" button in the lower right to launch the full editor. There you will see the Attach buttons beneath the text window.

So for those with tint and the auto-dimming mirrors, has this caused any issues for you? I've seen on other cars that tint+autodimming makes it almost impossible to see out the back at night.

Bump. I'm also really curious about this, if anyone can share their experience.

Edited by deadman64

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. I'm also really curious about this, if anyone can share their experience.

I can say that I haven't had any problem with my vehicles, but that's just my experience. I'm going to assume that the darkest tints might make the auto dimming not necessary, but that is only a theory.

In my 2010 Fusion, I had the auto-dimming rear view, and 35% metallic on the back window. I could see fine during the day, and at night, I noticed that the mirror hardly ever dimmed. With my 2014 Titanium, I have the dimming driver's side mirror, so I'm curious how that will impact night driving - I have 35% metallic on the sides and backs. Since it's outside of the car, I'm assuming it will still dim - I just haven't driven enough at night to notice the effect of the tint on the 14.

• 2 weeks later...

In my 2010 Fusion, I had the auto-dimming rear view, and 35% metallic on the back window. I could see fine during the day, and at night, I noticed that the mirror hardly ever dimmed. With my 2014 Titanium, I have the dimming driver's side mirror, so I'm curious how that will impact night driving - I have 35% metallic on the sides and backs. Since it's outside of the car, I'm assuming it will still dim - I just haven't driven enough at night to notice the effect of the tint on the 14.

Fordever, have you driven around enough yet to comment on what happens with the autodimming mirros with a tint on your car? I'd assume since not enough light hits the sensor they just don't ever dim...

Hey guys, pretty excited to tint out my fusion. I have a doctor's note for photophobia, so I'll be dipping below the legal limit. I'm thinking of doing 20% all around, but not sure what to do on the windshield. What would be a good number to go with for the windshield? 20% seems way too low so I was thinking 35% but I'm still unsure. Anyone have any thoughts?