Fusion funky fuel tank....anyone attempted a full fuel?

Bailey151

Suffice it to say there were changes in the radios and nav systems that are not 100% correct on the website.

Ford is doing a lot better than it used to with the website updates - they used to be months behind with more inaccuracies. But they still have a ways to go to be perfect.

Where does it say the 19" wheels are standard on the Titanium? The online brochure still shows the 18" standard, 19" optional (non hybrid).

There was only one error on the website and that was a picture of the interior with a Sony radio during a SE build and price. Everything else was pre-production pictures from the Detroit auto show that some people misinterpreted.

What else do you think is incorrect?

The part about the wheels was on a print brochure that I received in the mail earlier this week. The website errors included the one you mentioned as well as an error about the Sony radio and HD features in the model comparisons. When you compared an SE Hybrid and a gas Titanium the Sony radio and HD radio were listed as a standard for the Titanium and an option for the SE Hybrid. I'm not sure if the error still exists on the website or not, but it was definitely there in August/September.

To get back on topic, I filled up my tank for the second time last night at a different gas station, and was able to put in 11.9XX gallons, when the DTE said 0 for about 15 miles, and the gauge was on E and colored red. The trip computer said I used 10.82 gallons, but I think that is accurate also, since after my first fillup, the tank shut off at 9.999 gallons and the trip computer said I used 10.7 gallons, but fairly quickly moved below F this next day. I am thinking the trip computer is actually pretty accurate, and the second fillup made up for the first one which was short for whatever reason (probably an issue with that particular pump). Based on my experience so far, it seems like the Hybrid gas tank doesn't have an issue with being able to be filled completely, and the reserve once the DTE gets to 0 is around 2 gallons. I will monitor this in the next couple tanks, and hopefully the trip computer usage and the gas pump fill amounts become more in sync with each other.

So the tank is supposed to be 16.5 GAL (is ANYONE positive theirs is this size?), I just filled up (meter wasn't yellow or red) but it said I had about 50 miles until E. The tank took 11.54 GAL.

On a different trip where it actually got to yellow or red it took 12.17 GAL.

I did a trip reset for this tank so I can see how much fuel the computer thinks I'm using but does this sound like it is actually the 16.5 GAL tank? Doesn't seem like it to me...but I'm not sure how much reserve there is.

• Like 1

My trip meter said 11.4x gallons used and when I filled up it was accurate to when I put inside (maybe .2 gallons off) It was also saying that i was around 45miles to empty. I'll try on the next fill up to go really low to empty and see how much i can fill.

If the tank is really 16 gallons. Every 1/4 tick is 4 gallons roughly. I'll try tracking the Trip 1 or 2 to see when i reach 4 gallons used if I'm near that 3/4 tank marker.

• Like 1

Here's a test someone can try. Fill up a gallon of gas and put it in the trunk. Fill up the car as much as you can get. Drive until the car runs out of gas and see how much was actually in the car. You now have a gallon of gas in the trunk to get you to the nearest gas station.

Might as well do this now before any gunk or residue is built up in the gas tank.

Anyways, something to consider... :salute:

• Like 1

Mine has been taking about 13 gallons on most fill-ups and I run it until it has 0 MTE and then find a gas station (so usually 10-20 miles past 0 MTE). My last fill-up I got almost 14 gallons in it, but I think it's because the stupid gas pump kept stopping and I had to keep starting it back up, so I wasn't really sure when it was full. I'm sure I topped that one off a bit more than usual as my gauge showed a 24mpg average but with what I think was an extra gallon or so I only ended up at 21.7mpg. Either way though my average gas mileage is going up. I'm also noticing that the car is a bit faster now as well. :rockon:

........... I think it's because the stupid gas pump kept stopping and I had to keep starting it back up, so I wasn't really sure when it was full. ...............

Seems to be one of the known problems with the filler neck, Ford is apparently aware & they're trying to design a fix........

Information from the other forum. This person is working with Ford on the tank issues:

So now it's been a few weeks since they replaced my tank. Things didn't behave quite as I expected so I talked to the Ford Engineer again. In a nutshell, there are 3 problems with my car related to the fuel system. I'll try to get to the point but this might be long:

1) Fuel Filler Neck: This car has a newly designed fuel filler neck. It is VERY sensitive and it can be hard to put gas in the car without constant click-offs. This is especially true with worn nozzles on older pumps. On my car 50% of the time I've had no problem but the other 50% it's been a challenge. The engineer said this is a known issue and they are working on a fix but it could be a while. For now, he said if you start having problems filling the tank pull the nozzle back a bit and that might help or pump the fuel at a slower speed. That's really all we can do at this point.

2) Fuel Tank: As discussed on this thread I had my tank changed and that solved the problem of not being able to fill it totally.

3) The Fuel Gauge/Miles to Empty Calculation: I got a very long answer on this one and frankly don't 100% understand the issue but I will do my best to explain.

After getting my tank replaced I was able to get more fuel into the tank but not quite as much as I thought I should. On a recent fill-up I ran the car so the gauge said 6 miles to empty and when I stopped to fill the tank I got 13.63 gallons in there. (12.80 to first click-off then had to go through another 10 click-offs to get to 13.63.) Prior to replacing my tank I would've only been able to get about 10.5 gallons in at that stage. So while this is an improvement I felt I should have been able to get 15 gallons in when the gauge was at empty. (Allowing for the 1.5 gallons of reserve.)

So I told the engineer what happend. He said when I hit 6 miles to Empty I really did have about 3 gallons left so filling it up with 13.6 gallons is about right. The problem is the way the fuel gauge calculates when the car is empty. Because of some new regulations in Canada the Miles to Empty calculation is VERY aggressive. They had to do this so the car would not run out of fuel even if it said 10 miles to Empty and the car was on a steep hill. I guess they would get in big trouble if someone ran the car out of fuel on anything other than "E".

So in reality when I hit "E" he says I really do have about 2.5ish gallons left in my tank. So when I filled it and only got 13.6 that is about right. (13.6 = 2.5 = 16.1 total on a 16.5 gallon tank.) They are looking into what they can do to make the fuel gauge/miles to empty calculation less aggressive. (So that when you hit E you might only have 1.5 gallons left, not 2.5.) Again, they are working on a fix but no ETA right now.

They have my name and phone # and the engineer said they will call me if/when they have the fix identified on the two issues above.

Hope that helps....

Last night, I was able to squeeze 12 gallons into my hybrid. I had went about 15 miles past 0 MTE.

That pretty much mirrors what my experience was on my second fillup. I didn't try to add more fuel past the first shut off of the pump.

Edited by lmp180psu

Here are the numbers on my first fill up.

I drove 369 miles on the dealer's tank, which I am not sure was all the way full when I took delivery. The computer said I got 26.8 MPG and used 13.67 gallons. I filled up when it said 5 Miles To Empty.

I put in 15.101 gallons with a very slow fill. Based on 369 / 15.101 I get 24.44 MPG. I guess we'll see on the next tank because I know the tank was full this time.

Something is definitely wrong with my tank as well. I have a little over 1000 miles on the car and it only puts in about 11 gallons of gas when filling up which causes it to drop down almost to 3/4 tank. However, my biggest concern is that I always hear this soft dun-dun-dun/popping noise from the rear of the car. It is not very loud but now that I notice it I always notice. It only occurs after I have just filled up and it lasts for 30 miles or so. Its very odd. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Something is definitely wrong with my tank as well. I have a little over 1000 miles on the car and it only puts in about 11 gallons of gas when filling up which causes it to drop down almost to 3/4 tank. However, my biggest concern is that I always hear this soft dun-dun-dun/popping noise from the rear of the car. It is not very loud but now that I notice it I always notice. It only occurs after I have just filled up and it lasts for 30 miles or so. Its very odd. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I've heard what I believe is a similar noise occasionally when I stop the car. Since it happens after I've been driving for a while, it metallic in nature and comes from the back of the car I figured it is a heat shield or something similar that is expanding/contracting. It doesn't sound anything fuel related (at least on my car).

I've heard what I believe is a similar noise occasionally when I stop the car. Since it happens after I've been driving for a while, it metallic in nature and comes from the back of the car I figured it is a heat shield or something similar that is expanding/contracting. It doesn't sound anything fuel related (at least on my car).

I've heard that popping as well once in awhile when I turn off the car after driving for awhile.

I have heard that exact noise as well. It is a more "soft" noise, not the metallic pop other's seem to be referring to (I have heard that one as well). Now that I am down to 3/4 tank of gas I no longer hear it...

I am guessing the other pop heard after shutting the car off is catalytic converter/muffler/exhaust heat shielding etc. etc. heat/cooling type of noise. The noise I am referring to (and I am guessing bwk20 as well) is definitely not a "metallic" type of popping. I am hesitant to even call it popping.

On another note: give your roof a very thorough inspection from different angles, light etc.. I have found two slight dents/dips in mine. At first I thought they may have been from somebody supporting their weight on the roof with their hand while doing something up there, but after seeing what I saw last night I am thinking it might be something from the build. There was condensation forming on my roof last night, and you could see where two support-type beams run side to side on the roof due to there being no condensation building in those locations. Could see it clear as day. Could also tap on roof and hear solid sound there vs hollow elsewhere. Both dents/dips are located towards the ends of where those "beams" run. From the elevated position in the doorway leading into house from the garage I can see the dent clear as day. Saw it immediately the next morning after taking delivery.

Edited by RedFusion
  • Like 1

RedFusion you are correct. This is a while driving noise and isn't necessarily a popping noise but its a noise, trying to figure out whether I should go get it checked out. As to your roof line, I have noticed the no condensation on the support beams but haven't not noticed any dents/dips. I'll have to go look later tonight.

My latest fill was 12.6 gallons. I pumped to the click and did about 0.2 more gallons on the 1st click. My warning light was on and said 24 miles until E.

That means there was still 3.5 gallons in the tank somewhere.

Also where is the fuel filler nozzle attachment if I need to put gas in it while stranded?? I looked in the trunk and could not locate it

My 3rd fillup two days ago was 11.1x gallons to the first shut off, I then pumped to the second shut off which put in about 0.5 gallon more. My trip computer said I used 11.49 gallons and the yellow light was on for about 40 miles before this.

Edited by lmp180psu

Also where is the fuel filler nozzle attachment if I need to put gas in it while stranded?? I looked in the trunk and could not locate it

I had the same problem. Someone at dealership found where it is located.

You need to fold down the left-rear passenger seat, then pull up the trunk carpet right behind there. It is cradled in a molded styrofoam piece.