Fusion funky fuel tank....anyone attempted a full fuel?

Bailey151

On another note: give your roof a very thorough inspection from different angles, light etc.. I have found two slight dents/dips in mine. At first I thought they may have been from somebody supporting their weight on the roof with their hand while doing something up there, but after seeing what I saw last night I am thinking it might be something from the build. There was condensation forming on my roof last night, and you could see where two support-type beams run side to side on the roof due to there being no condensation building in those locations. Could see it clear as day. Could also tap on roof and hear solid sound there vs hollow elsewhere. Both dents/dips are located towards the ends of where those "beams" run. From the elevated position in the doorway leading into house from the garage I can see the dent clear as day. Saw it immediately the next morning after taking delivery.

I thought I saw a small dent in the roof when I first washed the car, but I forgot to go back and check. I'm going to look for it tonight and see if I was making it up or not. If it is indeed there I wonder if there's anything Ford can really do about it. I did also notice that there is some crap under the pain in the rain gutter part of the roof. I have also noticed one or two other small spots where it looks like there is a piece of dirt or something under the paint. I'm just not sure if it's even worth bringing up. The roof I think definitely, because it's much more obvious (plus there may be a dent), but the other spots are barely noticeable, I only saw them when I was waxing the car and was up close and personal with the paint.

I thought I saw a small dent in the roof when I first washed the car, but I forgot to go back and check. I'm going to look for it tonight and see if I was making it up or not.

Mine are both within roughly the first 4-6 inches from the edge, near the center where the support beams run side to side. Both dents are almost directly accross from each other.

I'm stiil trying to decide if the cure is going to be worse than the disease in getting them fixed. About to head out to the dealership for more info.

My latest fill was 12.6 gallons. I pumped to the click and did about 0.2 more gallons on the 1st click. My warning light was on and said 24 miles until E.

That means there was still 3.5 gallons in the tank somewhere.

Also where is the fuel filler nozzle attachment if I need to put gas in it while stranded?? I looked in the trunk and could not locate it

We are having the same sort of issues with the new Escape and the conservative fuel gauge/low fuel light.

A few days ago I filled immediately when the low fuel light came on and it only took 11.5 gallons in a 15.1 gallon tank....so about 3.5 gallons as you state.

What we really need is some brave soul to run their car to empty to see how much is truly in reserve.

The problem is either (A) the 'miles to empty' calculation is very conservative and there is is a lot of fuel in reserve or (B) that the fuel tan is not filling up all the way or shutting off to early.

As far as dents go, I have not noticed anything on the roof. But I have noticed some weird creases/dents on the bottom trunk panel near where the license plate mounts. When the light hits it right I can see two vertical lines or creases on each side of the plate. I went to the dealer yesterday to point this out when I noticed that all the Fusions in the lot had the same issue. The guys at the dealer could see them when I pointed them out and are going to check with Ford to see if it is normal or not.

Edited by maizerage25

What we really need is some brave soul to run their car to empty to see how much is truly in reserve.

According to the roadside assistance literature in my owner's manual, Ford will deliver 2 gallons of gas to you twice per 12 months.....so there's little risk of getting stranded if someone were to try this out!

According to the roadside assistance literature in my owner's manual, Ford will deliver 2 gallons of gas to you twice per 12 months.....so there's little risk of getting stranded if someone were to try this out!

True, or you could also just carry a gallon of gas with you. If you do this make sure you know how to put it in the tank! BTW, didn't someone say it's a really bad idea to let it run out of gas completely due to deposits in the tank?

First fill up yesterday for my Hybrid.

DTE indicating 3 miles.

10.74 gallons (second click).

438 miles on the odometer - took delivery with 22, so it was last filled sometime (probably shortly) before that.

The fuel gauge did go above F. But very briefly, it was below F by the time I got home (like 5 miles).

Fuel gauge seems to be coming down relatively fast, for the 35 miles or so I've driven since

Based on looking at these threads, it could well be it clicks too early in some (most?) pumps. And doesn't really fill to capacity (at least, not without a lot of effort).

I didn't try the "slow pump squeeze". And probably won't - my biggest concern while refueling was making sure not a single drop of gas met the paint....

If I could squeeze in an extra 0.8 gallons, would be right about the 11.5 I would expect with a 2 gallon reserve.

Or it could be just the idiosyncrasies of this particular fuel gauge/system.

So far, it's certainly unlike any car I've ever had - including the '11 FFH.

Their fuel gauges all seemed to believe the first 1/4 tank from full was a lot bigger then the rest....

I will keep an eye on my car and the threads - thanks for all the folks that posted helpful info so far.

In any case, with the smaller fuel tank, probably more conservative DTE, perhaps harder to bring to "real full" tank, I think it will be hard to squeeze the > 530 (even 550 sometimes) on a tank I regularly got in my old '11 FFH.

That is a pity.

OTOH, the Costco employee working the pumps yesterday walked a couple of rows just to check the car closer and congratulate me on my "new baby"(literally)

First time ever, for me.

The Carrera guy on the other side of the pump didn't get the same treatment (OK, not to be carried away, the Carrera was really dirty...)

So I guess there are always tradeoffs...

Edited by Salva

First fill up yesterday for my Hybrid.

DTE indicating 3 miles.

10.74 gallons (second click).

The fuel gauge did go above F. But very briefly, it was below F by the time I got home (like 5 miles).

Fuel gauge seems to be coming down relatively fast, for the 35 miles or so I've driven since

My second fillup was this evening... similar results, DTE was 50 miles, top-off clicked twice (which used to result in gas on the ground with the 2010), took 101 gallons. Gauge showed above full when I started driving, but slipped back below F in about 15 miles - sounds typical of others here.

My second fillup was this evening... similar results, DTE was 50 miles, top-off clicked twice (which used to result in gas on the ground with the 2010), took 101 gallons. Gauge showed above full when I started driving, but slipped back below F in about 15 miles - sounds typical of others here.

I guess this is the "new normal" for previous FFH owners.

I see in your Fuelly signature you're averaging 43.1 mpg.

That's a great result imho for the conditions - new car, winter and all.

If I get that much lifetime (or really anything over 40), I will be happy in that department.

Currently sitting at 38.8 (and climbing slowly) - according to the computer, since taking delivery.

Not really hypermiling (actually driving a bit faster than with old car), bigger wheels/ tires, cold (colder than usual last 10 days).

Looks promising.

I guess this is the "new normal" for previous FFH owners.

I see in your Fuelly signature you're averaging 43.1 mpg.

That's a great result imho for the conditions - new car, winter and all.

If I get that much lifetime (or really anything over 40), I will be happy in that department.

Currently sitting at 38.8 (and climbing slowly) - according to the computer, since taking delivery.

Not really hypermiling (actually driving a bit faster than with old car), bigger wheels/ tires, cold (colder than usual last 10 days).

Looks promising.

Well tonight's fuel-up gave me 46.3 MPG, which does match the past few days' displays of trip MPGs but I still wonder if I got the tank full, just don't want to spill like the 2010 would if you topped off more than one time and even sometimes with just one extra click. So if I didn't get enough in there this time, it will show up in the next tank and all even out. I still haven't messed with my tires yet, I normally raise those to 40 to get a little better MPG, but wanted to get somewhat of a baseline before doing so. Will do that after the next tank.

Edited by jeff_h

Well tonight's fuel-up gave me 46.3 MPG, which does match the past few days' displays of trip MPGs but I still wonder if I got the tank full, just don't want to spill like the 2010 would if you topped off more than one time and even sometimes with just one extra click. So if I didn't get enough in there this time, it will show up in the next tank and all even out. I still haven't messed with my tires yet, I normally raise those to 40 to get a little better MPG, but wanted to get somewhat of a baseline before doing so. Will do that after the next tank.

I decided to dedicate "trip 2" to track each tank.

It should be comparable to Fuelly.

Well, if "full" is at least consistent from tank to tank. Else, as you say, it should even out over time.

For this tank, 40.5 mpg so far.

• Like 1

Only just got off of "F" a day ago.. now gauge is still over three quarters full, but moving slowly downward.. anxious to see how this first tank does.. according to readout.. I'm around 42-45 MPG when I drive.. the morning rides have been brutal... 36 - 40 degrees with rain and wind..

Good to see what someone with hybrid experience can do...........stick that in your pipe & smoke it Consumer Reports :hysterical:

I'm currently @ 25.6 - right in line with Ford's estimate.

Good to see what someone with hybrid experience can do...........stick that in your pipe & smoke it Consumer Reports :hysterical:

I'm currently @ 25.6 - right in line with Ford's estimate.

I've had my FFH for 3 days now. 1st time hybrid driver. When I picked it up from dealer it had about 30 miles on it, and an avg mpg in the low 20's. It takes a real feather touch on the brakes and accelerator so far, to get some good trip scores. I've elevated the average mpg to about 32. my trip scores have been in the mid 30's. my trips are around 21 miles. I've made a few trips as high as 38-39 mpg. I've got about a 96% average braking score. I've hit 100% many times. I've noticed the battery seems to deplete very quickly from full, and it takes a long braking event to bring it back up significantly. I watch the engage screen. Temps have ranged from low 20's to mid 30's. Not sure if the 1st tank had ethanol mix in it. I intend to look for a station that doesn't add ethanol. I've gone about 200 miles on the first half tank. The computer is predicting around a 532 miles tank. My commute is hilly, and mostly highway, and I use the adaptive cruse control on the highway, in eco mode. I'll be filling up again in less time than I thought I would. Hoping to get a good full tank on fill-up, and not have any issues with the tank.

Ok, just filled up my Titanium 2.0T while tracking this tank pretty closely. Miles are a mix of highway and city, probably 40% highway and 60% city. Drove it until it was yellow with 16 miles left to E.

Trip Calculator in Car:

276.3 Miles

22.5 MPG

12.24 Gal

Data Calculated by hand:

277 miles

20.89 MPG

13.26 Gal (when I filled up that's what it took)

Thoughts?

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now, but finally joined to post some interesting findings I made today. I own a bluetooth-based OBDII adapter, which I have paired to an old Android phone. When I have this adapter plugged in to the car and I run the right app on the phone (it's called Torque, for those who are interested), not only am I able to read the DTCs stored on the ECU, but I'm also able to access a bunch of realtime data going over the bus. I have this old phone set up as an additional gauge cluster, giving me such information as boost/vacuum pressure, throttle %, intake air temp, etc. Here's a photo of the gauges I set up:

photo_zpsfc841df0.jpg

Having this customizable gauge cluster is quite useful and informative, but it obviously isn't directly related to this thread. The interesting part of this, though, and what's related to this thread, is the fuel gauge that I can pull from the realtime data. As you can see in the photo, it was reading around 87%. That number wouldn't normally be interesting, but in this case it was, as this was right after a fill-up and the short drive back home (not even a mile). Before the fill up, that gauge read around 12% or 13%, and that was when the dash read 5 MTE (12-13% comes out to be right on 2gal, which seems like a logical amount for the 'reserve' tank). After the fill (which was 12.35gal; the pump shut off slightly before and I rounded off to the nearest dollar), the guage on the dash didn't even touch full, while, as mentioned, the OBDII/CAN data for fuel level read less than 90%. I think this can confirm that the fuel tank isn't getting completely full at most pumps.

I have noticed that how far the nozzle is inserted seems to play a big part in having the pump click off early for me. If I put it in as far as possible it will pretty consistently shut off way early at most any pump. I have the best luck putting the nozzle in all the way, then backing it out a bit. I think the fuel filler neck design on our cars is very sensitive to this, and to get it to act correctly with the pump shut-off we need to determine the proper insertion depth.

On my next visit to the pumps, I'm going to try and keep the car on in accessory mode (engine off, of course) in hopes that I can still read the fuel level realtime data. This will help me to figure out just how much is actually in the tank when the pump goes off, and how much more could possibly go in.

• Like 3

This is great information. How much did the bluetooth adapter cost to fit the Fusion? I would be interested in having access to this information with my phone.

They're like $20 on eBay.

Yep they are cheap and are universal for most any vehicle that has an OBDII port (I've used it on lots of different vehicles, both domestic and imports). I bought mine off of Amazon a year or so back.

I've heard that the cheap ones are kind of a crap shoot for whether or not you'll get something that will work (cheapie knock-off copy stuff from China). I haven't had any trouble with mine and a buddy of mine hasn't had problems with his either. I think the "reliable" ones run about $100 for the adapter.

I believe the Torque app is free for the normal version and $5 for the pro version that unlocks a few more things from Google Play.

terryblauser40 mi. from Empty on the dealer tank fill. I used to be able to get range estimates over 600 mi on the '10.

I'm guessing the '13 is going to come out at ~500. I should know in a couple days.

I filled up today:

14 miles at delivery with dealer fill-up

401.3 on the clock today

33 miles to E

10.3 Gal at second click

497 miles to E after fill

37.4 mpg car readout

401-14/10.3=37.6 hand calc.

Lots of very short trips, temps down into high 20s some mornings.

Exxon station has slight nose down as I position for fill-up.

I'll swap ends next time to look at capacity influence.

Edited by terryblauser

Just did the first refuel on my 2.5 SE.

Took the car down to 1 mile past "0 to empty." The warning didn't come on/turn yellow until around 15 miles to empty.

Inserted the pump nozzle all the way then backed it out a little before I started. Was only able to get 12 gals. to first click. Another .5 to the second.

Drove only 2 miles to home and gauge had already moved slightly off of the top line for Full (was at the line at gas station).

We'll see how the next one goes, but it appears you can't get these tanks to true full without trickling it in (due to filler neck design?). That, or they don't have 16 gal tanks. Or there is an issue with the tanks.

Edited by RedFusion

Glad i found this site. Here is my experience with this issue. Purchased 2013 Fusion Se 1.6 ecoboost oct 2012. I have manually calculated mpg since day one. The car has never gotten better than 24 mpg. Its driven 90 percent of time on open hwy to and from my work. 65 miles round trip daily. Never have i been able to get more than 12.5 gallons into tank at any given fuel up. I started descussing this issue with my dealer. After much conversation about issue finally service manger ran some test. He forwarded the info to Ford and they responded with a list of more fuel tank related test to try. They have tested the fuel tank from a to z and still it only produces 88% fuel level when manger hooks computer to it. Ford then responded with try a couple other fusions on dealers lot. Manager takes two different fusions neither of which has the 1.6 engine but both se models to gas station and fills them up with his computer attached. They both read 98% full. Now Ford says replace the tank. Off course this took two days for them to decide and now the tank is on back order im told with know eta when it might be shipped. There is def another problem with some fusions and its the fuel tank. I have never driven any other than a Ford in my 40 yrs. my family all drives ford vehicles and my father rest his sole only drove a ford. But the experience with this vehicle has been awful. I bought because i was driving an 07 fusion oct of 2011 (loved it and it got 29 with i 4 engine.no ecoboost) and had a very bad accident. The car flipped twice and rolled once. The safety features of the fusion saved my life. So i waited for the new fusion and purchased what i thought would be even better than 2007. In two yrs i planned to turn this over to my daughter for her first car. Safe,reliable,fuel efficient and i would sleep well when she is on the roads. But now this car that cost 27000 is not worth ten cents in my opinion. On top of recall issues, ive had a windsheild wiper that had to be replaced, a part on door handle that is also still on backorder and to go along with the fact the 1.6 ecoboost was supposed to get in the 30's as for as mpg and now fuel tank problem i am stuck. Ford still refuses to admit the 1.6 is flawed and needs to be replaced completly. If the new tank ever gets installed and it does not change the issue. I will be filing for lemon law buy back. I just wish they would provide the same loyalty to a customer as my family has to them for several generations. They have lied to me over phone when dealing with Ford customer relations, they lied to dealer and said they were not aware of a mpg problem or fuel tank issue. Even though several hundred other owners are posting same issues and have called them to complain. Not to mention the tanks are on back order for a reason. Said all of this to say call them complain and get it to your dealer and maybe just maybe ford believers can work together and help them open their eyes and get back to what built their company. Customer satisfaction......i will repost when and if i ever get a new fuel tank.

• Like 2