Lincoln MKZ Lane-Keeping Demo: Very Cool!

The demonstration is good, but the assertion in the second paragraph, just above the video,

"Lincoln now produces what might fairly be considered the first autonomous car."

is false. Ford Motor Company is conducting research related to autonomous vehicles, and has collaborated with and/or sponsored teams from Virginia Tech, IVS, and MIT in past DARPA Urban Challenge events. The technologies found in the MKZ mentioned in the Yahoo article have certainly benefited from this research. But that MKZ does not meet the basic definition of autonomous car, which is a vehicle "able to navigate without human intervention to a predetermined destination over roads that have not been adapted for its use." Not even close.

"Lincoln now produces what might fairly be considered the first autonomous car."

Other false assertions:

"that adds up to a lot of metal helmed by the semi-conscious"

"those overachievers who are fully awake are at any given moment distracted by phones, stereo systems or the futile pursuit of that last McNugget that fell between the seat and the console"

"the steering wheel magically cranks over"

It's a puff piece. It is not required to use the definition in a DARPA project.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence with this car, but watching these features in action help to sell me.

I'm on the fence with it too, but given the last-minute overhaul, it does give me significant hope for the all-new models on the horizon. MKEscape will be the tell-tale vehicle in my eyes. We'll know in a few more weeks. :D

Lane-keeping is still something you have to activate each time you want to use it, which is a point of friction. I would prefer if it was something you could keep on at all times, kinda like collision warning or BLISS (which you can switch off as well, but it's not opt-in). Unless I'm misunderstanding how this system works?

Lane-keeping is still something you have to activate each time you want to use it, which is a point of friction. I would prefer if it was something you could keep on at all times, kinda like collision warning or BLISS (which you can switch off as well, but it's not opt-in). Unless I'm misunderstanding how this system works?

How would it work if you were in normal traffic where you were changing lanes a lot?

I heard that MKC is in fact the name of the Escape-based CUV which will debut exclusive Lincoln-only features, building on the new ones introduced on the MKZ. MKC prototypes are to be built next month. Production models won't appear until Feb. 2014 at the earliest. So at Detroit next week, we'll either see a clay model MKC concept or functional design concept previewing the production MKC (like last year's MKZ concept) which I'm guessing will appear as production model at auto shows later this year... I hate to be a party pooper, but Lincoln won't have any production models debut at NAIAS.

Edited by hbalek

I heard that MKC is in fact the name of the Escape-based CUV which will debut exclusive Lincoln-only features, building on the new ones introduced on the MKZ. MKC prototypes are to be built next month. Production models won't appear until Feb. 2014 at the earliest. So at Detroit next week, we'll either see a clay model MKC concept or functional design concept previewing the production MKC (like last year's MKZ concept) which I'm guessing will appear as production model at auto shows later this year... I hate to be a party pooper, but Lincoln won't have any production models debut at NAIAS.

I don't think anyone was really expecting a production launch at NAIAS given the known timeframe of the MKC launch. A functional concept like the MKZ would give plenty of an indication of the direction they are going with it in my opinion. We'll be able to fill in the blanks.

I don't think anyone was really expecting a production launch at NAIAS given the known timeframe of the MKC launch. A functional concept like the MKZ would give plenty of an indication of the direction they are going with it in my opinion. We'll be able to fill in the blanks.

I expect a highly stylized concept with a new ecoboost engine (2.7L??) and 8 speed tranny with all of the new Lincoln features (ride control, vista roof, push button shifting, etc. etc. etc.).

I think it will be a showcase for Wolf's new styling direction and will be very close to the production version.

MKC is the perfect name for the Escape-based Crossover, I'd be surprised if they used anything else, unless they plan to introduce a smaller sedan. The MKC will be a significant vehicle for a number of reasons so I'm very excited to see it. It will be the first pure Max Wolfe design, and will (for me) indicate the direction of the new MKX.

Lincoln's Lane-keeping actually isn't unique to Lincoln so it's not an exclusive feature, and I'm sure we'll see this in everything from Focus-up in the future. The Lincoln doesn't offer much exclusive content beyond design, materials, and a few features like the push-button transmission, ANC, and an all-LCD IP. Even the drivetrains are not Lincoln exclusives, and it's only a matter of time before Fusion gets the 3.7 (or perhaps they'll skip it and wait for the nano engine).

Edited by BORG

I'm watching very closely for where they go with the MKC. The Escape Titanium is already very well equipped, but is missing a few features found in the Fusion such as LED interior and tail lights, Adaptive Cruise Control, and the dual LCD dashboard. I'm hoping the MKC does not have any similar deficiencies compared to the MKZ. I would expect it to at a minimum to have the Lincoln-exclusive features mentioned above as well as cooled seats and heated steering wheel options. A long-shot hope would be a hybrid model, but I'm not holding my breath for this. My fear is that they go the route of other manufacturers and treat this more as an entry-level model and reserve the nicer options for the CD model (MKX), offering only a modest step-up from the Escape.

I'd imagine it 1) would 'shut off'/not turn the wheel if you put a turn signal on, and 2) wouldn't fight you if you're steering it there, but I don't know?

That wouldn't work in Atlanta - nobody uses turn signals.

I just think the system would get confused and fight you during normal lane changes. Maybe they'll get a smarter algorithm that will allow it to work when needed and not intrude when not needed. But I can understand why it's not on by default.

That wouldn't work in Atlanta - nobody uses turn signals.

I just think the system would get confused and fight you during normal lane changes. Maybe they'll get a smarter algorithm that will allow it to work when needed and not intrude when not needed. But I can understand why it's not on by default.

Nobody uses them here either, but that doesn't mean it's not programmed that way.