MyFord Touch 3.5 still crashing

I updated my 2011 Lincoln MKX to MyLincoln Touch 3.5, and it's still randomly crashing and rebooting (especially at startup). Anybody know what that update did to fix things? There are no performance or stability gains from my experience and MLT, nevermind the fact that the Navigation system quit working. Gah, I'm learning to hate this thing all over again.

Edited by BORG

Wasn't it published (and discussed here in multiple threads) that the 3.5.1 update requires a new SD card for the navigation?

On a personal note, still haven't done this update yet. Will do it when I go in for my next service appointment. I haven't had a MFT reboot in at least well over a month now. :shrug:

Another issue cropping up after these crash/reboots is the clock. The clock resets to a completely random time, and when I go to correct it, it grays out the up or down buttons so I can't adjust the time in certain directions, this is a very random bug and makes no sense (and needless to say very maddening). This is actually a very old problem from an early version of MFT and I'm surprised to see it again, although under very different circumstances. The random rebooting is also happening in my new 2013 Escape so it's just a matter of time before you guys run into this. In either case, I'm very disappointed that Ford and Microsoft appear not to have made any headway on this.

Edited by BORG

Wait until your rear camera parking lines disappear randomly on your 2013 Escape.....infuriating on top of all the other bugs. Then Ford has the audacity to state they have never heard of the issue....straight from the regional CSM's mouth with a bit of attitude mixed in. The arrogance of big corporate life is astounding.

Or how about when the backup camera is upside down? That's happened on my 2013 MFT a few times. Once, it "took a picture" with the backup camera and then it locked that picture on the screen, blocking all other visuals, but not the functions (which left me just to use voice commands until I pulled the ground off the battery). Or when the touchpad buttons won't work/suddenly work? Or when I just want to change stations on the radio after I start the car and it won't do it until whatever is going on inside the box finishes going on? Or why I can use the touchscreen with my gloves but I have to remove them for the other touch controls on the dash of my Edge? I understand they are different technologies....but why? Or how about when there's a system reboot but no audible or visual cue that there's a system reboot and I'm freaking out thinking the whole system just died? On the positive side, it syncs with my iPhone (the old one and the new one) perfectly and never loses connection--something the Sync in my 2011 Taurus could never, ever, ever do.

Or how about when the backup camera is upside down? That's happened on my 2013 MFT a few times. Once, it "took a picture" with the backup camera and then it locked that picture on the screen, blocking all other visuals, but not the functions (which left me just to use voice commands until I pulled the ground off the battery). Or when the touchpad buttons won't work/suddenly work? Or when I just want to change stations on the radio after I start the car and it won't do it until whatever is going on inside the box finishes going on? Or why I can use the touchscreen with my gloves but I have to remove them for the other touch controls on the dash of my Edge? I understand they are different technologies....but why? Or how about when there's a system reboot but no audible or visual cue that there's a system reboot and I'm freaking out thinking the whole system just died? On the positive side, it syncs with my iPhone (the old one and the new one) perfectly and never loses connection--something the Sync in my 2011 Taurus could never, ever, ever do.

This reminds me of when the deck lid had to be modified so the rectangular camera hole wouldn't accept the camera installed upside down or turned 90 degrees.

I find it amusing that something as minute as lines on a backup camera causes so much consternation and teeth-gnashing.

Shouldn't customers who paid for a safety feature like a backup camera (something used on a relatively frequent basis) be very displeased when it goes spastic, as svtenthusiast and BoomerSooner described?

Shouldn't customers who paid for a safety feature like a backup camera (something used on a relatively frequent basis) be very displeased when it goes spastic, as svtenthusiast and BoomerSooner described?

He was specifically complaining about losing the backup lines on the camera. The camera still works just without lines. I would equate this to the artist not showing up on Sirius. It still works just fine but a minor piece of information is missing. It certainly doesn't impact the feature's usefulness or safety.

If the camera wasn't working at all then it might be a little more understandable. But all that because the lines are missing? I don't get it.

My experience is most complaints have been resolved with 3.5.1. However, some customers still have concerns. I have found 2011 models have a higer APIM failure rate than 12+13my. Considering that I have been dealing with Mytouch issues since it came out in the 11 Edge, this version is much much better. No comparaison. Most customers have said they have not experienced any reboots or hard freezes.

The interesting part is that I found the Focus and Escape have more issues than Edge and Escape with same version levels. I am optimistic that MFT will keep improving. Also, some customers are looking for flaws. I have one guy who is looking for them. The interesting part to me, is that the old Navi system had bugs and no one complained.

Now if I could just get Ford to allow Navigation to be a dealer installed accessory.

Also, some customers are looking for flaws. I have one guy who is looking for them.

There is an entire group of them over at focus fanatics (including svtenthusiast). When a new version comes out they all race to test it trying to find every possible bug.

They even started a website.

Edited by akirby

My experience is most complaints have been resolved with 3.5.1. However, some customers still have concerns. I have found 2011 models have a higer APIM failure rate than 12+13my. Considering that I have been dealing with Mytouch issues since it came out in the 11 Edge, this version is much much better. No comparaison. Most customers have said they have not experienced any reboots or hard freezes.

The interesting part is that I found the Focus and Escape have more issues than Edge and Escape with same version levels. I am optimistic that MFT will keep improving. Also, some customers are looking for flaws. I have one guy who is looking for them. The interesting part to me, is that the old Navi system had bugs and no one complained.

Now if I could just get Ford to allow Navigation to be a dealer installed accessory.

Chalk up the Explorer as not having the issues. I have not seen one of the '13's, like mine, that have had any issues. Frankly, I was amazed at how stable it is in frigid temps (we were down to 5, which is very cold for us).

Just because you aren't having problems or don't even OWN a vehicle with MFT does not give you the right to minimize someone else's issues with a system that has been a huge black eye to Ford since it came out in 2010. Funny how a Clarion based, Ford designed system in my 2010 Fusion could do almost everything MFT can, and do it well and CONSISTENTLY.

Every time Ford comes out with one of these new updates, it fixes some bugs (that were denied even existed when you talk to them), but it breaks something else. If an engineering department in any other company was allowed to get away with releasing software, even though it fixes something, but breaks something else in the process would be FIRED. My camera worked fine in 3.2.2, now in the "latest and greatest" 3.5.1 update it doesn't. Case closed, end of story, another fumble, another joke.

If Ford was a company simply selling MFT as a consumer stand alone product and didn't sell cars they would be out of business by now. What has transpired in the past 3 years has been unacceptable. Add in the PowerShift transmission and their reliability ratings and initial quality has PLUMMETED.

I don't care what the Ford slappys here think about who should complain or is justified in being unhappy with something Ford does. All I know is I have been a loyal Ford customer, given them ALL of my business since I starting driving vehicles, and I expect at least an AVERAGE level of courtesy and support when getting my vehicle serviced or speaking with their CSM's. They should be bending over backwards for anything related to MFT but they still are playing the "we haven't heard of that issue" game. It's disappointing and uncalled for as both a loyal customer and a shareholder.

This is my experience, my opinion, my money, my investment, my vehicle. Deal with it, case closed.

Edited by svtenthusiast
  • Like 1

I expect at least an AVERAGE level of courtesy and support when getting my vehicle serviced or speaking with their CSM's. They should be bending over backwards

This is my experience, my opinion, my money, my investment, my vehicle. Deal with it, case closed.

Item 1: contradictory 'I expect average courtesy--they should be bending over backward'

Item 2: 'case closed' only works if you live on a planet populated by one person: you, in which case you are probably not going to be driving a Ford Escape.

Just because you aren't having problems or don't even OWN a vehicle with MFT does not give you the right to minimize someone else's issues with a system that has been a huge black eye to Ford since it came out in 2010. Funny how a Clarion based, Ford designed system in my 2010 Fusion could do almost everything MFT can, and do it well and CONSISTENTLY.

Every time Ford comes out with one of these new updates, it fixes some bugs (that were denied even existed when you talk to them), but it breaks something else. If an engineering department in any other company was allowed to get away with releasing software, even though it fixes something, but breaks something else in the process would be FIRED. My camera worked fine in 3.2.2, now in the "latest and greatest" 3.5.5 update it doesn't. Case closed, end of story, another fumble, another joke.

If Ford was a company simply selling MFT as a consumer stand alone product and didn't sell cars they would be out of business by now. What has transpired in the past 3 years has been unacceptable. Add in the PowerShift transmission and their reliability ratings and initial quality has PLUMMETED.

I don't care what the Ford slappys here think about who should complain or is justified in being unhappy with something Ford does. All I know is I have been a loyal Ford customer, given them ALL of my business since I starting driving vehicles, and I expect at least an AVERAGE level of courtesy and support when getting my vehicle serviced or speaking with their CSM's. They should be bending over backwards for anything related to MFT but they still are playing the "we haven't heard of that issue" game. It's disappointing and uncalled for as both a loyal customer and a shareholder.

I feel your pain. I just opened my mail yesterday and received my 'MFT V3.5 Software Update Prg# 12A04 for my 2013 Taurus. I'm considering waiting on the update (it takes an hour to load with the car running) in case they add further updates to this ongoing issue with the MFT.

Every time Ford comes out with one of these new updates, it fixes some bugs (that were denied even existed when you talk to them), but it breaks something else. If an engineering department in any other company was allowed to get away with releasing software, even though it fixes something, but breaks something else in the process would be FIRED.

Yes, because nobody else ever has this happen. Ever. Ford is the only one that this happens to. Fixing one problem can quite often lead to others, and it can hide until certain conditions are met in the real world. This is pretty common in software, especially something as complex as MFT.

If Ford was a company simply selling MFT as a consumer stand alone product and didn't sell cars they would be out of business by now.

Quite possibly, which is why it's a great thing that making vehicles is Ford's primary business.

It sucks these problems exist, it really does. It's not excusable that MFT has had the issues it has. But to say Ford isn't trying to fix the issues is a bunch of BS. They are working to solve them, as seen by the updates they are continuing to release.

Sounds like you may have a bad APIM.

I was just mailed an APIM Warranty Extension letter (Prg# 12M02) yesterday that extends the warranty on the APIM to 5 years regardless of mileage for all Ford vehicles. If this module fails it kills the MFT (inoperable). Looks like I better buy an extended $1000 ESP Warranty, since I love my 2013 Taurus and will keep it for some time. (Note: Ford will NOT replace it unless it fails within the warranty)

Chalk up the Explorer as not having the issues. I have not seen one of the '13's, like mine, that have had any issues. Frankly, I was amazed at how stable it is in frigid temps (we were down to 5, which is very cold for us).

Well, it's all solid-state. I don't really see where temperature should ever have too much of an impact on it.

I still generally like MFT, but it's clear Ford and Microsoft are nowhere close to a stable system in these cars and will continue to suffer the wrath of customer complaints for the foreseeable future. The most stable version of this system appears to have been 3.0, the random crashes and reboots began again with 3.2, and more intrusive bugs appear in 3.5 with even more frequent reboots. It's been a hot mess, Ford seems to think the system is salvageable, and I use to think that...but not anymore and their slow rate of progress over a critical issue is alarming.

As for those comparing this to other buggy software, this isn't 1992, I haven't seen software unreliability like this in my adult memory.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2