2013 MKZ Tracking

While I am pleased to learn you are receiving your car that you ordered on 13 December, I am also wondering what magical act you performed to bypass those of us that orderd in September? What is your secret? My car was built on 5 February, with a week of 25 February delivery date. Last report from LCS and Dealership was on 8 February, when it was off site, whatever that means. Never did get any information why the week of 25 February was not met. I also have grave concerns that there are cars in dealerships that are being sold prior to the pre-orders being delivered. Does that message from Lincoln mean pre-orders have no more standing than a person who walks in off the street and buys a car. So why pre-order and go through the anxiety of no information or misinformation as well as tieing up a deposit? I am told that very few people of the 1000 who pre-ordered the car have cancelled their order- Lincoln should breath a sigh of relief they are still on board. In about 2 more months, the 2014 will be available to pre-order- what does that do for the 2013 Pre-orders that may not have been delivered? Sure wish someone at Lincoln Corporate would step up and tell us why our cars are not being delivered in the order they were purchased. Also don't understand why the automotive trade magazines are not on top of this delay, which has allegedly been tied to reliability inspections. So, the question on the table is; how did you leap ahead of the rest of us to get your car?

While I am pleased to learn you are receiving your car that you ordered on 13 December, I am also wondering what magical act you performed to bypass those of us that orderd in September? What is your secret? My car was built on 5 February, with a week of 25 February delivery date. Last report from LCS and Dealership was on 8 February, when it was off site, whatever that means. Never did get any information why the week of 25 February was not met. I also have grave concerns that there are cars in dealerships that are being sold prior to the pre-orders being delivered. Does that message from Lincoln mean pre-orders have no more standing than a person who walks in off the street and buys a car. So why pre-order and go through the anxiety of no information or misinformation as well as tieing up a deposit? I am told that very few people of the 1000 who pre-ordered the car have cancelled their order- Lincoln should breath a sigh of relief they are still on board. In about 2 more months, the 2014 will be available to pre-order- what does that do for the 2013 Pre-orders that may not have been delivered? Sure wish someone at Lincoln Corporate would step up and tell us why our cars are not being delivered in the order they were purchased. Also don't understand why the automotive trade magazines are not on top of this delay, which has allegedly been tied to reliability inspections. So, the question on the table is; how did you leap ahead of the rest of us to get your car?

Great question. I am aware of very uneven treatment to now include apparent preferential deliveries. When I first brought this up with my dealer, he seemed unaware of how some dealers in other regions had cars and that the order of pre-order deliveries was clearly not based on sequential original order sequence. I was to told

it was based on hybrids vs non. When I identified hybrid deliveries made out of order sequence, I was told pano roof or other options caused the delivery order to be out of sequence. I wish there was some mystery Mkz cabal or that I am specifically targeted but I do not believe Lincoln is competent enough to do that at this time.

The secret is to email Ford brass and complain. (helped my Sept order) Well, that or just luck of the draw.

Edited by xgman

Great question. I am aware of very uneven treatment to now include apparent preferential deliveries. When I first brought this up with my dealer, he seemed unaware of how some dealers in other regions had cars and that the order of pre-order deliveries was clearly not based on sequential original order sequence. I was to told it was based on hybrids vs non. When I identified hybrid deliveries made out of order sequence, I was told pano roof or other options caused the delivery order to be out of sequence. I wish there was some mystery Mkz cabal or that I am specifically targeted but I do not believe Lincoln is competent enough to do that at this time.

I have brought this up with National Ford people and they do acknowledge it, and are apologetic, but basically are at the hands of lots of 3rd party hands along the way that they apparently have little or no control over. I predict that will change at some point, but it's the whole process of outsourcing and contracting that they have to get control back from. Speaking to these folks as much as I have lately, I can assure you that they are aware of these things even if they pretend to be a wee bit in denial. If nothing else, they are apologetic. (see below)

"Your constructive criticism is appropriate and fair. Thank you for taking the time to write your note. We have learned so much from this launch and will apply these learnings to future launches."

Edited by xgman

i got a call from my dealership.. my car will be ready to pickup Tuesday this week. I ordered on February 1st and they said it was the fastest they had ever seen one turn around. I feel bad for those of you who ordered as early as last September (or before). I just dont understand why some go fast and others dont. Even my dealership said there are other preorders still waiting through them.

And no I did not get the pano.

I have brought this up with National Ford people and they do acknowledge it, and are apologetic, but basically are at the hands of lots of 3rd party hands along the way that they apparently have little or no control over. I predict that will change at some point, but it's the whole process of outsourcing and contracting that they have to get control back from. Speaking to these folks as much as I have lately, I can assure you that they are aware of these things even if they pretend to be a wee bit in denial. If nothing else, they are apologetic. (see below)

"Your constructive criticism is appropriate and fair. Thank you for taking the time to write your note. We have learned so much from this launch and will apply these learnings to future launches."

I am very comfortable with program management for new aircraft and vehicle introductions. Most of my experience is with aircraft, advance materials and design to include all aspects of engineering, flight testing, production, training and product improvements. That is why I find this so absurd. Particularly after building a new line in Hermosilla just for this car. Compare all other new vehicle design to market processes with your experience. Watch the c7 vette, look at the ATS. Any systems engineering approach or lean six sigma analysis would have solved this months ago or if not would have at least put it into sales and marketing to buy time to resolve the production and delivery issues. Hell, I offered to go get the vehicle or pick it up anywhere along its route in order to move it from the production and quality assurance processes and into the warranty process. Their in stream visibility and off ramp processes are from the last century. They are incapable of dealing with my offer. Look at Corvette's museum factory delivery for comparison of a vehicle intended to keep a positive customer experience. I have picked up 2 vettes at the factory this way and been the first to start each one of them. Lincoln's 1/2 speed decisions and series of inept compromises began with design and engineering resulting in such decisions as the mast AM antenna for pano roof cars. Production tool up began as soon as the 2012 line stopped. This is what these people do for a living and have the legacy of Henry Ford's assembly methods, yet cannot produce a car to our hands in almost a year since the 2012 line stopped.

They're not incompetent - they were asked to do too much (too many changes from the previous vehicle) too fast. They had similar problems with the Escape and Focus which are in the same category - European designs being built in North America for the first time. I believe they'll learn from this and slow it down a little and get control of their processes and new suppliers. They can't afford another screw-up like this.

They're not incompetent - they were asked to do too much (too many changes from the previous vehicle) too fast. They had similar problems with the Escape and Focus which are in the same category - European designs being built in North America for the first time. I believe they'll learn from this and slow it down a little and get control of their processes and new suppliers. They can't afford another screw-up like this.

Compare it to something outside of Ford in order to provide a better yardstick and analysis. Looking internally explains a lot

Compare it to something outside of Ford in order to provide a better yardstick and analysis. Looking internally explains a lot

Looking internally? What does that mean? Ford built the previous gen Fusion and MKZ in the same plant with the same workers for 7 years with no problems. It was the company's highest quality plant. They build and deliver over 2M vehicles per year with very few problems.

It's a classic case of making too many changes too fast and cutting too many corners due to too much cost cutting. I see it all the time and I don't work for Ford.

Looking internally? What does that mean? Ford built the previous gen Fusion and MKZ in the same plant with the same workers for 7 years with no problems. It was the company's highest quality plant. They build and deliver over 2M vehicles per year with very few problems.

It's a classic case of making too many changes too fast and cutting too many corners due to too much cost cutting. I see it all the time and I don't work for Ford.

Your answer is exactly what I mean by an internal look.

Mine came in a week ago yesterday (after only a 6 month wait), and I did my first fill up and mileage check today. I had put about 300 miles on it, and by pencil and paper calculation, I got 38.1 mpg. The overall avg dash readout was 37.6. It was all mountainous driving, mostly short trips, and one 10 mile stretch of Internet at 75 mph. Doing the same type of driving, my '07 V6 MKZ, I averaged about 20 mpg over the years. Needless to say, I am elated since I did not expect mileage this good with an unbroken in engine and the type of driving I do.

For those still waiting for your cars, I know exactly how you feel. But if you are anything like me, you will find it worth the wait.

Mine came in a week ago yesterday (after only a 6 month wait), and I did my first fill up and mileage check today. I had put about 300 miles on it, and by pencil and paper calculation, I got 38.1 mpg. The overall avg dash readout was 37.6. It was all mountainous driving, mostly short trips, and one 10 mile stretch of Internet at 75 mph. Doing the same type of driving, my '07 V6 MKZ, I averaged about 20 mpg over the years. Needless to say, I am elated since I did not expect mileage this good with an unbroken in engine and the type of driving I do.

For those still waiting for your cars, I know exactly how you feel. But if you are anything like me, you will find it worth the wait.

Thanks. Good report. I hope you have continued success.

and that damn truck did not head South to Tampa with mine :rant: :rant: :banghead:

I never really had an original ETA (well actually at one point it was 2/25. Then It was 3/15 once it shipped.) But now they have apparently lost my car again. Was supposed to show up at the dealer yesterday and never came. The are completely inept. I think the 3 Stooges are alive and running Ford. It's mind boggling.

You've got to be kidding....Here I keep waiting for an update to "shipped"......I guess as long as its not to Flat Rock!

I'm trying to compare others' original ETAs and guess when we will get ours.

My status hasn't changed much since March 5th...Awaiting Shipment - Sent Offsite - 15-12g (Allied Systems Ltd ) Ford Hermosillo Assembly, SO Mar-13-2013, 03:43 MT.

I think that means you were either sent to Flat Rock or local for that inspection. I remember Tanner's had that same note. You're getting there.

Boo....I hope its not that long! We sold my fusion last month and are working off one car...

Ford is paying for some pre-order delayed rental cars. You should inquire through your dealer to request from their Ford regional rep. The same rep should be able to get more info on your status. Just insist to talk to that rep personally.

Dedo, lets hope so, or just look for me on tonight's news report. I'll be the one with the spontaneous head explosion. Imagine how efficient the system is when your car is delivered but the local transport can't get to it for almost a week. I think the Ford contracted union's (cough . . cough . . mafia) may be the problem. The answer though is yes, it's on a truck to be delivered to the dealer mid day, so if all goes well I might be in it tonight finally. God I hope there are no defects or scratches....

Edited by xgman