2013 MKZ Tracking

I'm buying the car. I'm just miffed over the fact that this luxury experience isn't even half of how I was treated by Saturn, who was not even close to luxury. It's a shocker to see the difference and realize the rebranded luxury experience has completely failed.

Keep in mind the "rebranded luxury experience" has just begun and won't be complete for several years. MKZ is the first vehicle to launch under the new Lincoln so this process is new (specifically the inspection process and sending them to another plant). It was compounded by a never before seen number of issues with stamping dies and supplier parts (hood latches, headlamps, engine parts, etc.) for both the Fusion and MKZ. Don't forget the MkZ and Fusion are on a new platform with different suppliers than the old versions. It was truly a perfect storm of problems at every step that obviously caught Ford unprepared.

I don't believe we'll see anything like this for future Lincoln vehicles. And stage 1 of Lincoln's plan won't be complete for at least 2 more years - maybe longer. It's not a sprint. So while it's disappointing for customers and they may lose some sales and customers they can certainly fix the problems going forward.

And I just received my "survey".

A little conflicted to be honest about how much I want to tear into the dealership at this point. I've got plenty of suggestions for them about handling customers even when they have no information......but I don't want anybody to spit on my lobster tail and steak I will be served when I get an oil change.

Get Ford reps involved and they will ask the dealer to honor the original trade quote as long as no damage, even if lots more mileage. Anyway, that is what worked for me, and my mileage went from 42K to almost 50k.

Thanks for the info. Mine is still pristine with about 50,000K . Actually, in checking NADA trade-in as well as new car values, the trade-in increased in value and the new car decreased in value.

I almost buy you thoughts however part of experience should include the " customer experience " and this has been dismal at best regardless of fault. I could not in good faith ever recommend Lincoln / Ford to anyone going forward. Until they understand how to manage the customer experience and not just worry about the car process they will remain at or near the bottom of consumer ratings. There is far too many luxury vehicles out and more to come from well know luxury brands to compete with. Cool technology is almost extinct once it hits so even though this car has it, others will soon. Personally I ordered from them for the cool tech, awesome design, they did not take bail out money but based on my customer experience it is one and done. Ordered Aug 18th fully loaded and as of this mornings cyberman update still stuck in Flat Rock.

I almost buy you thoughts however part of experience should include the " customer experience " and this has been dismal at best regardless of fault. I could not in good faith ever recommend Lincoln / Ford to anyone going forward. Until they understand how to manage the customer experience and not just worry about the car process they will remain at or near the bottom of consumer ratings. There is far too many luxury vehicles out and more to come from well know luxury brands to compete with. Cool technology is almost extinct once it hits so even though this car has it, others will soon. Personally I ordered from them for the cool tech, awesome design, they did not take bail out money but based on my customer experience it is one and done. Ordered Aug 18th fully loaded and as of this mornings cyberman update still stuck in Flat Rock.

I had the same requirements for why I want to buy this car. Cool tech, great design and the bail money issue.

So, my weekly call with customer service has my car built and awaiting shipment. This is confirmed by Cyberdman with the status update I received yesterday. My dealership just called and they say my car won't be built until tomorrow. I'm laughing because the situation is pretty ridiculous. At this point, I'm not sure when or if I'll ever get the car.

:salute:

How many vehicle launches has Ford/Lincoln done over the last 30 years and how many have had major problems like this? I can only remember 2 - this one and mustang a few years ago.

This is most likely a one-time problem that won't happen again. This isn't a case of Ford/Lincoln not caring - it's a case of too many problems occurring at once and processes and tools that were not able to deal with it. You learn from it and fix the problems.

If they have the same problem with the MKC launch then I will be more inclined to agree with the cynics. Until then it's an isolated event.

Has any of you, who 5-8 months ago, pre-orderd your MKZ with a trade-in MKZ, been asked by your dealership to renegotiate the price of the trade-in?

My dealer said that they would honor the soon to be 5 month old trade-in quote when the car eventually comes in.

How many vehicle launches has Ford/Lincoln done over the last 30 years and how many have had major problems like this? I can only remember 2 - this one and mustang a few years ago.

This is most likely a one-time problem that won't happen again. This isn't a case of Ford/Lincoln not caring - it's a case of too many problems occurring at once and processes and tools that were not able to deal with it. You learn from it and fix the problems.

If they have the same problem with the MKC launch then I will be more inclined to agree with the cynics. Until then it's an isolated event.

The 2013 Fusion launch for one.

Cool technology is almost extinct once it hits so even though this car has it, others will soon. Personally I ordered from them for the cool tech, awesome design,

Actually,the Volvo technology package is even better.For example,it. will detect pedestrians & brake.Their adaptive cruise control will keep you at the same distance,but also will work & stop & go traffic.

When I look at it the end of last year,there wasn't a single S80 with tech package on the entire continent,nor were any on order at that time.

This month there was only one S60 in New Jersey with the tech package.They're rare as hen's teeth.

ouch. sorry to here it is still stuck.

Actually,the Volvo technology package is even better.For example,it. will detect pedestrians & brake.Their adaptive cruise control will keep you at the same distance,but also will work & stop & go traffic.

When I look at it the end of last year,there wasn't a single S80 with tech package on the entire continent,nor were any on order at that time.

This month there was only one S60 in New Jersey with the tech package.They're rare as hen's teeth.

Problem, at least for me, is that I don't like the Volvo look. I actually have to add that I was looking for Hybrid technology as well, so for me, four items of importance.

1. Hybrid

2. Technology

3. Design

4. No bail money accepted

And I just received my "survey". A little conflicted to be honest about how much I want to tear into the dealership at this point. I've got plenty of suggestions for them about handling customers even when they have no information......but I don't want anybody to spit on my lobster tail and steak I will be served when I get an oil change.

That is why you go to Camelback and not Fiesta, and I just got the survey myself. I felt no conflict in accurately describing my experiences both with Lincoln and the dealership, which sucked

Tanner … did you see my question about the rear view camera? It was on the MKZ Date Night forum.

tanner, hbalek-

I have a question re: what the 2013 MKZ rearview camera lines represent. We're having a discussion at home and the Owner's Manual doesn't clarify it for me.

-The white lines show the direction the car would travel based on how the wheels are turned at the moment in comparison to the colored lines.

-Do the colored lines represent the CLEAR path backing up? If the car is too close to an object … e.g., a wall, a colored warning block (red or yellow) appears alerting the driver that the car is too close. My assumption is that, without any warning block appearing, the colored lines represent the clear path back and should be used when. e.g., backing out of a tight garage. ;)

Edited by Dedonut

Keep in mind the "rebranded luxury experience" has just begun and won't be complete for several years. MKZ is the first vehicle to launch under the new Lincoln so this process is new (specifically the inspection process and sending them to another plant). It was compounded by a never before seen number of issues with stamping dies and supplier parts (hood latches, headlamps, engine parts, etc.) for both the Fusion and MKZ. Don't forget the MkZ and Fusion are on a new platform with different suppliers than the old versions. It was truly a perfect storm of problems at every step that obviously caught Ford unprepared.

I don't believe we'll see anything like this for future Lincoln vehicles. And stage 1 of Lincoln's plan won't be complete for at least 2 more years - maybe longer. It's not a sprint. So while it's disappointing for customers and they may lose some sales and customers they can certainly fix the problems going forward.

So then I can assume that Ford/Lincoln's Research and Development (R&D) sucks since this is where most, if not all of these problems should have been detected and fixed. I think they were too much in a hurry to get it on the market and produced a 70% solution. That's for the build, but there is not one damn excuse as to why they can't ship out a frick'n car upon completing the inspection. They bold faced lied when they stated to speed up the delivery process, they will ship them out via trucks; cars are still shipped out via slow @ss trains. Even Mr. Cour stated my car will ship out this week; it is now going on Thursday and my car is still stuck on the ramp in Flat Rock. Ok, he was right, it shipped out to the frick'n ramp! In my eyes, Lincoln has completely failed and I hope they clean house starting with leadership/management.

R&D is responsible for engineering problems where one part doesn't work with another part or a properly manufactured part doesn't work. R&D has nothing to do with bad stamping dies, poorely cured headlamps from a supplier, lack of hood latches from a supplier, lack of seats from a supplier, lack of resources to do onsite inspections, etc. There could have been some engineering issues but it's mostly a production problem with bad parts, missing parts, poor processes and poor management. And I expect Ford to address all of those including the poor management. These vehicles were clearly not ready for production.

there is not one damn excuse as to why they can't ship out a frick'n car upon completing the inspection.

There are several. There is a severe lack of rail cars for everyone right now and Ford can't control that. There could just as easily be a shortage of trucks as well.

I'm not making excuses here, just trying to explain what is likely happening behind the scenes. Regardless of the cause this is a huge screwup and probably the worst launch in the last 20 years.

I ordered mine on Feb 5th, it was scheduled on the 18th, built on the 26th of February, now ETAing on April 7th; if that day holds it will be 9 weeks to the day ....

If Lincoln has their act together - and we dont have any more Flat Rock inspections pending - I would "guess" that yours would be in the April 25th-29th range

John

I'm happy for you that your car is in transit as of this post....I remember your original ETA was the same as ours and I have not received word that ours is in transit yet. Grrrr.....

Status update from Cyberdman

Awaiting Shipment - Released - Ford Hermosillo Assembly, SO Mar-27-2013, 00:00 EDT.

So...passed QA? What? Previously Stated Awaiting Shipment -Sent offsite

Yes, that means it has passed QA and is ready for transport to you. That was my last status prior to getting on the railcar.

R&D is responsible for engineering problems where one part doesn't work with another part or a properly manufactured part doesn't work. R&D has nothing to do with bad stamping dies, poorely cured headlamps from a supplier, lack of hood latches from a supplier, lack of seats from a supplier, lack of resources to do onsite inspections, etc. There could have been some engineering issues but it's mostly a production problem with bad parts, missing parts, poor processes and poor management. And I expect Ford to address all of those including the poor management. These vehicles were clearly not ready for production.

There are several. There is a severe lack of rail cars for everyone right now and Ford can't control that. There could just as easily be a shortage of trucks as well.

I'm not making excuses here, just trying to explain what is likely happening behind the scenes. Regardless of the cause this is a huge screwup and probably the worst launch in the last 20 years.

You know Kirby, I don't get you. Your posts seem to defend Lincoln, but you go on to say that it was a huge screw up. Regards to your direct quote about railcars I disagree. As a manufacturer part of your due diligence is ensuring that your "vendors" have the appropriate resources to complete their task. So if FerroMex, or CSX, or UP do not have enough rail cars that probably means that Lincoln did not stick with their original plan of shipping x cars every day. I would suggest that is exactly what happened, recently the "flood gates" opened and more cars where trying to be shipped that they had rail cars for, again not the fault of the rail road but of the supplier who exceeded the agreed upon goal.

Now having said that, I don't know that for a fact and honestly don't really care, other that I have a huge amount of sympathy for those who still do not have their car like SMSGT. I think that is totally wrong!

Tanner … did you see my question about the rear view camera? It was on the MKZ Date Night forum.

tanner, hbalek-

I have a question re: what the 2013 MKZ rearview camera lines represent. We're having a discussion at home and the Owner's Manual doesn't clarify it for me.

-The white lines show the direction the car would travel based on how the wheels are turned at the moment in comparison to the colored lines.

-Do the colored lines represent the CLEAR path backing up? If the car is too close to an object … e.g., a wall, a colored warning block (red or yellow) appears alerting the driver that the car is too close. My assumption is that, without any warning block appearing, the colored lines represent the clear path back and should be used when. e.g., backing out of a tight garage. ;)

Hey Dedo, sorry took so long to respond. I believe your assumption is correct. The colored lines show line of travel so if you were to go straight back the two colored lines should represent unobstructed travel. The white lines do show line of intended travel based upon steering. I have had numerous "false" alarms for my review sensor beeping when there is nothing behind the car. Typically this happens as I back out of my garage. I think that is close proximity alarms to my garage door, or something similar to that .