MKZ Media Reviews

I am tracking MKZ test drive reviews (not "previews" or "impressions" that don't involve someone actually driving the car) on another forum and thought it would be useful here as well. Please post any new reviews you find. Thanks!

2013 MKZ
AutoWeek
C&D
Detroit News (Doug Guthrie)
Motor Trend (MKZ vs ES thread)
Motor Trend Review
Automobile Magazine Review
Automobile Magazine MKZ Drive to Miami Beach
Inside Line (Edmunds)
Autoblog review
Ignition Blog MKZ Hybrid Review
Popular Mechanics Review
Chicago Tribune Mini-Review of the Hybrid
Star-Telegram Review
The Car Connection Review
Motor Authority Review
New York Daily News Review
Leftlanenews.com Review
Vehicle Voice

OC Register Review
Auto Guide Review

Los Angeles Times Review

Chattanooga Times Free Press Review

Fox News Review

zAutos Review

The U-T of San Diego Review

New York Times Review

Auto Media Review

Business Insider Review

Autoweek Hybrid Review

USA Today Review

Pursuitist Review

Miami Herald

Consumer Reports Review (behind paywall)

NY Times Hybrid Specific Review

Valley New Review

Edmunds Hybrid Specific Review

Automobile Magazine Hybrid Specific Review

Green Car Reports Hybrid Review

Hollywood Reporter Hybrid Review

The Car Guide Review (Canadian)

Autonet.ca Review (Canadian)

Autos.ca Review (Canadian)

Autoweek Capsule Driving Impressions

Oakland Press (Syndicated Review)

Gotta Be Mobile Review

Cool Hunting Review

Mind over Motor Review

Driving.ca Review

The National Post Review

Vince Burlapp Review

The Star Phoenix (Canada) review

Tree Hugger Review

The Republic Review

Autospies Review

Cars.com Review

Autogo.ca Review

Kelley Blue Book Text Review, with video below:
[video=youtube;4e-D95yr6jc]

Consumer Reports First Drive, with the video below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F7ZynrNLhD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Edited by Iiari

Added the New York Daily News review, which criticized the interior for parts sharing with lesser models suggesting Ford should look more to the VW/Audi playbook for interior differentiation (fair from what I have seen) and criticized Ford for not lengthening and widening the platform for the MKZ (what?).

However, since no one can get a car yet, this all feels somewhat virtual, no?

How do you make a switch or overhead bin "Lincoln specific"? And how can you tell from looking out the window whether the wheelbase or track was changed?

These are the types of criticisms that make you shake your head and detracts from the few legitimate gripes.

• Like 1

So, has there been any car recently that's generated more polarizing reviews?

Added the Leftlanenews.com review. Pretty scathing. Again obsessing over the car's tires. I now want to know what tires every luxury sedan being reviewed from now on is using... Sheesh. I don't completely get why he gives the car a "C," since subjectively, with the exception of the MPG, power response, and MyTouch, he praises much of everything else. And giving this car a "C+" for technology? Wow... Says outright at the end that the Fusion is impressive, but this car isn't. Why?

Frustrating...

So what is ever ones take on the negative reviews out there. I guess the more I am waiting for my car and the more reviews I see I am kind of second guessing my choice. We did test drive the 12 before ordering, expected the 47 MPG range, loved the technology so everything seems good to go. With so many poor reviews or knocks on the car just thinking was I too fixed on parts we liked or worried about nothing. Maybe this is normal ? Have a KIA and Miata since 2003 and not a lick of issues but the Kia is going to our middle one when the MKZ is in -

Don't listen to overall reviews. Listen to the specific complaints then compare those complaints between reviewers to see if it's consistent. Then go check for yourself and see if it bothers you. If you like the car buy it. You're the one who has to drive it not the media folks.

• Like 1

All I know is I very much tried to find a suitable substitute during these very long months of waiting (Hybrid) including the Lexus Es which I think is the closest competitor to this car, and I kept coming back to the MKZ. Yes I have driven one. When you look at the whole package and make the comparisons, it has a lot to offer. The reviewers that constantly like to compare it to the Fusion as if to say the Fusion should satisfy me are insane. I don't like the Fusion. I don't want the Fusion and to me the Fusion looks nothing like the MKZ. I don't care if it does share some underpinning and parts. It's insane and annoying. Right now the only legitimate complaint is the MPG stuff. The exaggeration of the MPG is likely true. I didn't find that to be the case on my 2011 MKZ Hybrid though. Even if it only get 40, it's still on par with the next closest competitor in Lexus/Toyota.

Well, I finally got to drive one today and I'll spare everybody the review as I'm confident that I'm the last to so.

Too bad I have to wait for a May 6th build date for mine. I've read and watched nearly every review and expected so much worse than my brief 45 minutes behind the wheel. I swear I don't get these reviews and why it's so popular to for these car rags to trash the shit out of Lincoln. Yes I've driven Audi, BMW's and Mercedes but I'll admit I've not experienced the Asian luxury models. I wonder who's paying these guys to render Lincoln so irrelevant, it seems to be like some kind of "me too" game for these folks where they meet somewhere for a beer laughing it up and saying "there, top my Lincoln is a royal piece of shit claim" while laughing it up and proclaiming the next round is on them.

I'm 50 years old and have had many, many cars throughout my life and I can't wait to get my new MKZ. Quite frankly I want what they're smoking.

The exaggeration of the MPG is likely true. I didn't find that to be the case on my 2011 MKZ Hybrid though. Even if it only get 40, it's still on par with the next closest competitor in Lexus/Toyota.

Please explain how Ford "exaggerates" the MPGs.

There is a big difference between the 2013 and 2011 MKZ and Fusion hybrids which accounts for the difference in real world mpg vs. EPA testing. It's simple physics.

Please explain how Ford "exaggerates" the MPGs.

There is a big difference between the 2013 and 2011 MKZ and Fusion hybrids which accounts for the difference in real world mpg vs. EPA testing. It's simple physics.

There is a whole controversy brewing in the news the last few weeks that covers this. Consumer reports, etc. Seems like Ford and others are under the microscope. The Fusion and C-Max tests come to mind. I have not done any scientific testing myself obviously, but I will report back with comparisons to my 2011 when I have the new car.

So what is ever ones take on the negative reviews out there. I guess the more I am waiting for my car and the more reviews I see I am kind of second guessing my choice. We did test drive the 12 before ordering, expected the 47 MPG range, loved the technology so everything seems good to go. With so many poor reviews or knocks on the car just thinking was I too fixed on parts we liked or worried about nothing. Maybe this is normal ? Have a KIA and Miata since 2003 and not a lick of issues but the Kia is going to our middle one when the MKZ is in -

Well, being honest here, many cars competing with the MKZ in the "relaxed comfort" niche haven't exactly gotten raving reviews from the hot blooded motoring press. Several ES reviews have been savage as well and I can't remember one fawning Regal, TL, or Avalon review. However, having sat in several new MKZ's at this point (but not having driven it yet), I think there are a couple of things behind the uniquely negative MKZ reviews:

1) Brand buy-in:

I think auto reviewers, who live and breath this stuff 24 hrs a day, probably buy more into brand impact and focus less on the pure product. Read the reviews, and there is lots of talk about Lincoln in general before anyone even talks about the car. I think reviewers feel the obligation to place their reviews in context, and are focusing more on Lincoln's real and dismal market position than we are. Listen, reviewers who weren't even alive when the Cimmeron was made feel obligated to start ATS reviews talking about it and Audi reviews started with unintended acceleration jokes for 20+ years. It takes a LOT of time...

2) The Differentiation Question:

These reviewers are also driving many other products (VW/Audi, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, GM/Caddy) that, let's be honest here, are doing a much better job at keeping the cheaper bits hidden than Lincoln is with the MKZ. Don't get me wrong, I love the Z and it will likely be my next new car, but the control stalks, MyTouch screen, door panels, and other details are pretty much straight Fusion. This is more differentiation than Ford has done before, granted, but honestly it's where the above companies were about 8-10 years ago, when, say, you could sit in an A6 and a Passat and play "spot the similarities." You can't do that anymore with their product, and Ford has the do the same before the reviewers swoon... Listen, I drive a Saab now, and American reviewers moaned about parts sharing with GM Europe models not even available here. It's a auto reviewing law of nature in 2013 that differentiation has to be complete, and I think (hope?) Ford gets that and the MKC and on will (hopefully?) reflect that better...

3) Lack of true "best" aspects:

Again, being honest, most of us love the Z because of its style, it's not a "me-too" make, and because of its unique blend of features, technology, MPG (hybrid), and comfort. Objectively, however, there really isn't anything about the Z (save push-button trans and pano-roof) that is truly new, different, or clearly "better" than its competition, or even other models in the Ford stable. No one wins on features anymore, so the "experience" (thus, differentiation and brand) has to stand out, and then we get to 1 and 2 above. And trust me coming from a Saab, where a truly unique aesthetic wasn't enough to save it from brand and differentiation woes, it's important.

What would an honest review say? I think it would be very much like the Automobile Magazine review or the Car Connection reviews above, basicially that, "The MKZ is a very feature laden, technologically advanced, relaxed, and efficient (in hybrid form) sedan that drives pleasantly and is fully competitive with other makes. It perhaps shares a few more Ford bits than it should and requires one put aside some brand history, but if the MKZ's particular blend of style, efficiency, and comfort have appeal, then you will find it an excellent companion."

PS: I think Ford is making the same mistake Saab used to make with pricing. They're over pricing a bit knowing that incentives are coming later. Every last-gen Saab 9-5 review moaned about 50K loaded 9-5's being uncompetitive with BMW/Audi. I really think these MKZ reviews would be VERY different if the MKZ started at 33.5 and topped off at 45K (and then Ford held the line on incentives). There would be a value narrative then that's completely lacking now.....

Edited by Iiari

It makes no difference what CR or anyone else gets for fuel economy. The only thing that matters is whether the Ford vehicles get the EPA advertised fuel economy on the EPA test. The new hybrids and ecoboost engines are harder for the average driver to get EPA results but that's a problem with the EPA test procedure, not Ford. And Ford is required by law to advertise the EPA fuel economy results.

^LIKE^ Iiari!!

esp #1

which gives me an idea for a double-entendre title & premise for the review I'd like to see

"Luxury Without Context"

(would type more but BON's software is barely compatible with my antique puter :p )

Just thinking about where we haven't seen reviews yet. Off the top of my head:

• Road and Track
  • New York Times
  • Cars.com
  • Autos.ca (an excellent Canadian review site)

Anywhere else?

^LIKE^ Iiari!!

esp #1

which gives me an idea for a double-entendre title & premise for the review I'd like to see

"Luxury Without Context"

(would type more but BON's software is barely compatible with my antique puter :p )

In 2013, luxury is actually more about context than about product...

Oh, funny you say BON's software is giving your computer fits... I find FIN's forums unacceptably slow on my quite fast computer and android platforms. BON works far faster for me, so I've found myself posting more here...

They seemed to like it with a few niggles:

the 2013 MKZ brought the valets to a standstill at a hotel in Detroit. It had people following me around town me to ask me about it. People at the gas station wanted to know more. It does get noticed and doesn’t blend in with Camrys and Accords. At night, it has very distinctive front and rear lighting, which will continue to bring stares. You’ll know when you see one on the road.

The MKZ uses the electric power steering and gives you a very unnerving feeling of grabbing the wheel at 75 MPH and turning it for you. It started to see grooved cement as lines in the road and would steer the car out of the lane. Not cool. (ouch) It also would hiccup at certain crosswalks where the paint would be in just the right location to confuse the camera reading the lines. The technology package isn’t worth the $2,250 because it just isn’t refined enough.

ouch again:

The MyLincoln Touch infotainment system almost became Punch MyLincoln. Odd issues started to creep up like the screen said the climate control was off but the switch said it was on. I could also hear the fan going. Sometimes in reverse the rear view camera picture would vertically scroll on the screen for no reason. I even tried to ask for simple directions to Starbucks and the system froze up but the lady kept talking. I had to turn the car off to reboot. CTRL ALT DEL was no where to be found. Manually adding a destination to the navigation system was difficult. The system is slow to respond and the screen fails to accept each touch. Lincoln supposedly has a new version of software geting ready to ship out. Still, no excuse.

I wonder if this is a pre-production model? Dec 2012?

I spent five days getting to know the 2013 MKZ during December of 2012

and one last thank you:

This is not a Fusion either

Edited by xgman

The reviews just make me want my MKZ more...even if there are some concerns about the technology. I am a tech junkie so I want it all...and I want it now! The next week or so waiting for my car to arrive is going to the longest... :waiting:

The OC Register review is online and listed in the master list above and is, as usual, generally complimentary but said there's not enough "audacity" from Lincoln and may be the only review I've seen that doesn't think the exterior is a leap over the prior model. OOOOoookk.

Far more fascinating is the first look at the Acura RLX by Consumer Reports, which "even" backhandedly compliments the MKZ and Lincoln. This is the first overtly critical look I've seen of the RLX as most auto media reviews of it so far have seemed politely reverential. CR brings up some fascinating questions about what defines luxury and how the RLX does or doesn't hit the mark, questions I think are going to become massive once the MB CLA hits our shores for 30K... Here's one RLX CR quote:

"...Sure, you could make a similar argument about dollar-for-value with an A6, BMW 5 Series, E-Class, or Lexus GS. But these cars manage to feel more special, which is important for helping buyers part with such a sizable wad of cash..."

Definitely worth a read.

The OC Register review is online and listed in the master list above and is, as usual, generally complimentary but said there's not enough "audacity" from Lincoln and may be the only review I've seen that doesn't think the exterior is a leap over the prior model. OOOOoookk.

Far more fascinating is the first look at the Acura RLX by Consumer Reports, which "even" backhandedly compliments the MKZ and Lincoln. This is the first overtly critical look I've seen of the RLX as most auto media reviews of it so far have seemed politely reverential. CR brings up some fascinating questions about what defines luxury and how the RLX does or doesn't hit the mark, questions I think are going to become massive once the MB CLA hits our shores for 30K... Here's one RLX CR quote:

"...Sure, you could make a similar argument about dollar-for-value with an A6, BMW 5 Series, E-Class, or Lexus GS. But these cars manage to feel more special, which is important for helping buyers part with such a sizable wad of cash..."

Definitely worth a read.

"If you are in the witness protection program and you want a luxury sedan, this might be your ride."

That pretty much says it all! :hysterical:

Edited by xgman

Autoguide weighs in and I've added it to the master list above. Typical review. They think it looks great in and out, has lots of features, drives nicely, but somehow in the end "fails to stand out from the crowd." Maybe it has to do with the brand context they put it in (see my post several posts up in this thread). Check out this hyperbolic intro:

"Lincoln is a brand on the brink of death. At best its parent company Ford has been a neglectful guardian, at worst they’ve been downright abusive. Once a proud company that could go bumper-to-bumper with the world’s best, the Blue Oval’s domestic luxury division has been starved of product for the better part of a decade and a half. The Lincoln of today is an emaciated silhouette of what it once was."

Whoa, kinda hard to recover from that, don't you think? Feel like rushing out to the Lincoln dealer after reading that? (or, for that matter, finishing the review?)

I also think Lincoln has to start maybe giving some lighter, FWD 2.0's or hybrids to reviewers. The AWD V6 certainly isn't making any friends and it's pricey, hurting the value narrative in reviews. It feels like the current engine mix, while adequate, is holding the car back and that it's a great engine away from overall greatness.

Edited by Iiari

ouch.. harsh.

It's harsh, but you can't give a vehicle an unbiased review if you are grading it based on its brand name, which is what they overtly did.

Lincoln is a brand that is being re-imagined. Saying one vehicle is no good because the other vehicles in the brand are no good is absurd.