MKZ Media Reviews

It's like they are really trying to kill it off. I sure hope Lincoln doesn't go Mercury on us right after I get my new MKZ.

Given that between the new MKZ and MKC early next year Lincoln volumes will likely double from current levels, I think you'll be okay. ;)

It's harsh, but you can't give a vehicle an unbiased review if you are grading it based on its brand name, which is what they overtly did.

Lincoln is a brand that is being re-imagined. Saying one vehicle is no good because the other vehicles in the brand are no good is absurd.

I don't think they're saying that the MKZ is terrible because the Lincoln brand is terrible, I think they're saying that given Lincoln's position, they think the MKZ needs to be more than just "nice" or even "competitive, they believe it needs to be a standout vehicle to move the needle of the whole brand.

That may or may not be true. I frankly don't think, as all of us here who are more educated than the reviewers know, that Lincoln really went balls to the wall to make the MKZ a transformative vehicle. Change brand direction? Sure... Aim to do some things differently? Sure... A spot-on Lexus ES competitor? Sure... But a "stand up world and look at this amazing, paradigm changing automobile and everything Ford can do" vehicle? I don't think that was ever the goal. As we know, Wolff didn't even come into the project until it was almost frozen.

That said, I DO think that the new MKC and next X and S replacements need to keep moving the design needle towards, dare I say it, standard of the world (or at least competitor to the world) kind of stuff, especially if they want to do serious business in China. The MKZ is a decent start, but keep it rolling...

To xgman, I think Lincoln definitely will be around while you own your Z. I think sales will improve and stabilize, if not rocket up, and Ford seems serious to spend the money to establish the brand in China which, as with Buick and GM, would seem to guarantee its survival, at least for some time... That said, Ford's effort doesn't feel 100% sincere yet to me (more like 89% sincere), and I too would feel better seeing that other 11%.

Edited by Iiari

I don't think they're saying that the MKZ is terrible because the Lincoln brand is terrible, I think they're saying that given Lincoln's position, they think the MKZ needs to be more than just "nice" or even "competitive, they believe it needs to be a standout vehicle to move the needle of the whole brand.

And that's holding the vehicle up to a bar that other brands don't have to meet. My only point. Can the MKZ be better? Certainly. Every vehicle could be in one way or another.

• Like 1

Plus, don't forget that the hard points were already established with this car prior to the allocated Lincoln design team's creation. If I understand correctly the front end / grill was about the only influence they really had with this car. The forthcoming models will most certainly have more definition of Lincoln's direction then the Z. Knowing that, I still ordered the Z and I'm okay with that.

It's like they are really trying to kill it off. I sure hope Lincoln doesn't go Mercury on us right after I get my new MKZ.

if we hadn't been shown an MKC, I'd be tempted to feel the same way...

...even tho the finance arm & esp the Design Center tell me that logically those should suffice

... I frankly don't think...that Lincoln really went balls to the wall to make the MKZ a transformative vehicle. Change brand direction? Sure... Aim to do some things differently? Sure... A spot-on Lexus ES competitor? Sure... But a "stand up world and look at this amazing, paradigm changing automobile and everything Ford can do" vehicle? I don't think that was ever the goal. As we know, Wolff didn't even come into the project until it was almost frozen...

...To xgman, I think Lincoln definitely will be around while you own your Z. I think sales will improve and stabilize, if not rocket up, and Ford seems serious to spend the money to establish the brand in China which, as with Buick and GM, would seem to guarantee its survival, at least for some time... That said, Ford's effort doesn't feel 100% sincere yet to me (more like 89% sincere), and I too would feel better seeing that other 11%.

just imho, the foundation of the Z is "Balls-preserved" (remember it beat the M5) and is just waiting for the Nano (+ OTHER new engines!) ...and new 8(?) speed ...and BespokeProgram and [blackLabel] (imho 2 different things)

+

I'd love to hear more about what you see as that last 11%, Iiari

esp

if diff from the 4 things I just mentioned

Edited by 2b2

The Los Angeles Times review (fairly negative and heavily brand contexted) and the Chattanooga Times Free Press review (very, ah, dealer friendly) have been added to the master list above.

The LA Times review highlights my biggest hybrid downside, which might be a deal breaker for me and push me to the 2.0:

"...there are a few cost-cutting shortcuts evident in the MKZ hybrid. The most obvious is an instrument panel straight out of any of Ford's hybrid cars that lacks the elegance of the display in the gasoline-only MKZ." (emphasis mine)

They also say, in a comment I'm not sure I agree with but, put up against some other cars, I can see:

"The MKZ's biggest fault may be the drab interior, with few of the wood flourishes or metal accents that distinguish most luxury cars. The occupants of a Lincoln deserve better."

Also, to 2b2:

That 11% I'm looking for are two things. One, I want to see an investment in brick and mortar stores to upgrade both locations and buildings. For example, in my area (metro West and South of Boston), the three Lincoln dealers are in Brockton, Dorchester, and Dedham and look very 1980's. Now, if you don't know this area of Boston, let's just say these definitely aren't the communities that would come to mind when thinking "luxury," "wealthy," or "upscale." I'm sure once upon a time those dealers got that land cheap and have low taxes, but everyone I know buying BMW's, Lexi, etc are NOT driving by these dealers on their way home. If someone wants to by an MKZ, they're going to have to go out of their way to buy one. All the Lexi, Jaguar, Caddy, Infiniti, LR, etc dealers are more or less in the same place here, and Lincoln isn't. So, when Ford gets serious placing a dealer where those customers are here and make it look like a 2013 dealer, I'll buy it somewhat more...

Also, Ford has been silent about anything beyond those four new vehicles in the next 4 years thing (now widely recognized to be the MKZ, MKC, MKX, and MKS). I want to hear about the next 10 years, not the next 4...

Fix those two things, then I believe it 100%. Oh, BTW, I don't know what the "Nano" engine is (I had to Google that), but I judge vehicles by what's on the dealer lot now, not what's coming down the road....

Edited by Iiari

The Los Angeles Times review (fairly negative and heavily brand contexted) and the Chattanooga Times Free Press review (very, ah, dealer friendly) have been added to the master list above.

The LA Times review highlights my biggest hybrid downside, which might be a deal breaker for me and push me to the 2.0:

"...there are a few cost-cutting shortcuts evident in the MKZ hybrid. The most obvious is an instrument panel straight out of any of Ford's hybrid cars that lacks the elegance of the display in the gasoline-only MKZ." (emphasis mine)

They also say, in a comment I'm not sure I agree with but, put up against some other cars, I can see:

"The MKZ's biggest fault may be the drab interior, with few of the wood flourishes or metal accents that distinguish most luxury cars. The occupants of a Lincoln deserve better."

Also, to 2b2:

That 11% I'm looking for are two things. One, I want to see an investment in brick and mortar stores to upgrade both locations and buildings. For example, in my area (metro West and South of Boston), the three Lincoln dealers are in Brockton, Dorchester, and Dedham and look very 1980's. Now, if you don't know this area of Boston, let's just say these definitely aren't the communities that would come to mind when thinking "luxury," "wealthy," or "upscale." I'm sure once upon a time those dealers got that land cheap and have low taxes, but everyone I know buying BMW's, Lexi, etc are NOT driving by these dealers on their way home. If someone wants to by an MKZ, they're going to have to go out of their way to buy one. All the Lexi, Jaguar, Caddy, Infiniti, LR, etc dealers are more or less in the same place here, and Lincoln isn't. So, when Ford gets serious placing a dealer where those customers are here and make it look like a 2013 dealer, I'll buy it somewhat more...

Also, Ford has been silent about anything beyond those four new vehicles in the next 4 years thing (now widely recognized to be the MKZ, MKC, MKX, and MKS). I want to hear about the next 10 years, not the next 4...

Fix those two things, then I believe it 100%. Oh, BTW, I don't know what the "Nano" engine is (I had to Google that), but I judge vehicles by what's on the dealer lot now, not what's coming down the road....

I disagree with the instrument cluster assessment personally. I drove every single mid size sedan hybrid out today and one thing I specifically looked at was the instrumentation clusters on those cars. Regardless of if it is a ford cluster or not I loved it and the configurable smaller screens on both sides. Specifically for the hybrid when you are seriously trying to hypermile the empower and engage screens available provide exactly what you need to do the trick.

Just my two cents

So, when Ford gets serious placing a dealer where those customers are here and make it look like a 2013 dealer, I'll buy it somewhat more...

How is Ford supposed to fix something it can't control (by law)? Dealers are independent businesses protected by franchise laws.

How is Ford supposed to fix something it can't control (by law)? Dealers are independent businesses protected by franchise laws.

Awww, we all know automakers can dangle all manner of incentives, penalties, supply criteria, etc to dealers based on their behavior. A friend, who works in the sales industry, said a local Cadillac dealer did a huge capital investment due to strong arming from GM.

There's also nothing stopping Ford from talking with someone like Herb Chambers, a local dealer mega-network all over Southeastern New England in MA and RI, about starting a Lincoln franchise somewhere closer to where their customers live or work. They already have an excellently located Ford branch right off a high volume highway exit.

I disagree with the instrument cluster assessment personally. I drove every single mid size sedan hybrid out today and one thing I specifically looked at was the instrumentation clusters on those cars. Regardless of if it is a ford cluster or not I loved it and the configurable smaller screens on both sides. Specifically for the hybrid when you are seriously trying to hypermile the empower and engage screens available provide exactly what you need to do the trick. Just my two cents

I'll make that 4 cents.

Also, to 2b2:...

TY, Iiari thumb.gif

& umm,

not saying I neither understand nor sympathize to a degree

but

that's kind of an interesting juxtaposition...

You want to know something about new vehicles upto 10 years out

tho

not (apparently) anything about an important new engine that could be a year or less away...

...tho still not "Official", here's a LINK to an AutolineAfterHours webcast with 2nd hand info on a 2016ish Rwd Lincoln (starting about 12 mins in)

biggrin.gif

Added to the master list above is the Fox News (?!?) review and video of the MKZ. As has become usual for reviews, it's actually fairly positive in most regards, but can't just come out and say this at the end because of the dreaded "Brand Context." The piece (and accompanying video) start by quite inaccurately suggesting that LINCOLN'S ENTIRE SURVIVAL RESTS ON THE MKZ. It then ends with this:

"MKZ is a much better car than the one it replaces, which wasn’t half bad, but based on the predicament Lincoln is in, clearly wasn’t good enough. Is the new one?

That could be the big story next year."

<Sigh> No, I doubt that will be the "big story next year" for Lincoln, which will instead probably the MKC launch and what I guess will be a MKX or MKS concept vehicle by then...

Edited by Iiari

Added to the master list above is the Fox News (?!?) review and video of the MKZ. As has become usual for reviews, it's actually fairly positive in most regards, but can't just come out and say this at the end because of the dreaded "Brand Context." The piece (and accompanying video) start by quite inaccurately suggesting that LINCOLN'S ENTIRE SURVIVAL RESTS ON THE MKZ. It then ends with this:

"MKZ is a much better car than the one it replaces, which wasn’t half bad, but based on the predicament Lincoln is in, clearly wasn’t good enough. Is the new one?

That could be the big story next year."

<Sigh> No, I doubt that will be the "big story next year" for Lincoln, which will instead probably the MKC launch and what I guess will be a MKX or MKS concept vehicle by then...

The real problem facing Lincoln is that, aside from the V6 and panoramic roof, the Fusion offers almost everything that the MKZ does in a package that’s nearly as refined, costs about six grand less in its highest trim level, and is a looker in its own right.

You can't imagine how sick I am of this compare. I DON"T WANT A FUSION! What is wrong with these reviewers. Can you imagine if you applied that logic to all of your purchases? You'd end up being a reality star on a program like Extreme Couponers. Just stupid. :runaway:

The real problem facing Lincoln is that, aside from the V6 and panoramic roof, the Fusion offers almost everything that the MKZ does in a package that’s nearly as refined, costs about six grand less in its highest trim level, and is a looker in its own right.

You can't imagine how sick I am of this compare. I DON"T WANT A FUSION! What is wrong with these reviewers. Can you imagine if you applied that logic to all of your purchases? You'd end up being a reality star on a program like Extreme Couponers. Just stupid. :runaway:

Aside from that---that claim that these reviews make totally lacks accuracy! There is an entire laundry list of features found on the MKZ that are not available on the Fusion.

Aside from that---that claim that these reviews make totally lacks accuracy! There is an entire laundry list of features found on the MKZ that are not available on the Fusion.

Perhaps to make that laundry list easy to use to reply to reviewers, lets make that list of MKZ exclusive options vs the Fusion here and now:

• V6
  • Pano roof
  • Lincoln Drive Control
  • Contour seats (eventually? The Taurus has it, though)
  • Some design elements (hidden ceiling lighting)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Electric rear sunshade
  • THX stereo

Um, what else?

Perhaps to make that laundry list easy to use to reply to reviewers, lets make that list of MKZ exclusive options vs the Fusion here and now:
  • V6
  • Pano roof
  • Lincoln Drive Control
  • Some design elements (hidden ceiling lighting)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Electric rear sunshade
  • THX stereo

Um, what else?

Infotainment area ( stingray thing). Push button transmission. LED brake lights. Inflateable rear seat belts.

Edited by Serraph

Just for clarification, I thought the Fusion had LED brake lights? I also thought it had the inflateable rear seat belts, or I am confusing it with the Taurus? The Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) is the same as Lincoln Drive, is it not? What is the infotainment area?

So, excepting the above, we're up to:

• V6
  • Pano roof
  • Lincoln Drive Control
  • Some design elements (hidden ceiling lighting, push button transmission)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Heated rear seating
  • Electric rear sunshade
  • THX stereo
  • LED Headlights
  • Directionally adaptive headlights

Anything else?

Just for clarification, I thought the Fusion had LED brake lights? I also thought it had the inflateable rear seat belts, or I am confusing it with the Taurus? The Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) is the same as Lincoln Drive, is it not? What is the infotainment area?

So, excepting the above, we're up to:

• V6
  • Pano roof
  • Lincoln Drive Control
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Heated rear seating
  • Electric rear sunshade
  • THX stereo
  • LED Headlights
Anything else?

And in all of that, you're basically listing all of the things brands such as Lexus offer over the vehicles they share architectures with as well.

Ventilated front seats are missing from the list.

Noted. Added to the list. Are the LED taillights and inflatable rear seatbelts unique? So far:

• V6
  • Pano roof
  • Lincoln Drive Control
  • Ventilated seats
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Heated rear seating
  • Electric rear sunshade
  • THX stereo
  • LED Headlights