Active Grille Shutter

ticholas

I've tried scanning through the parts catalog publicly available at fordparts.com and have no success finding any parts pertaining to the Active Grille Shutter system, however, when i had my bumper off to install HID headlights, I noticed all the holes already in place seemingly ready to accept an Active Shutter setup, all along the inside of the front bumper. Does anyone know if they will be getting this system on these cars at some point or if it available already on the hybrid version? if so, i would like to be able to do a retrofit to my car.

Really? I wonder why some of the ecoboost have them and some do not.

This started with the 2012 Focus. The documentation is not clear as to which vehicles have or don't have them. Some do some don't and I never heard a definitive answer.

What's the benefit? Marginal increase in gas mileage?

They activate at highway speed (I think it is at 55 mph, but I don't remember for sure) when the engine needs less cooling and has more airflow. It makes the car more aerodynamic and provide some increase in fuel millage.

My '13 2.5L Fusion SE has the active grille shutters. I visually verified it after I started the car. They initially closed all the way, then slightly opened.

So it isn't just hybrid or ecoboost that has them.

Edited by RedFusion

pretty awesome that i got a loaded $38k titanium awd and it doesn't have the shutters. wtf ford.

Probably didn't make a difference on testing in that trim. I would imagine it makes less difference on the 2.0t than the lower powered more frugal motors. If they can't use the feature to raise the advertised mileage, why waste the money.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably didn't make a difference on testing in that trim. I would imagine it makes less difference on the 2.0t than the lower powered more frugal motors. If they can't use the feature to raise the advertised mileage, why waste the money.

I have a 2.0L EB Titanium (FWD) and I have the active grill shutters. So far that I've seen it really does seem to be almost completely random, some cars have it and some don't.

The active grill shutters are not visible. They are behind the chrome grill. It that correct?

They're behind the grill, but you can see them if you look through the grill (or just the support where they should be if you don't have them). I looked at a few Fusions on the dealer's lot and some have them, some don't.

The active grill shutters are not visible. They are behind the chrome grill. It that correct?

If the car has them, they will be black "louvre" (sp?) looking things between the silver grill and the radiator. From the handfull of times I have looked in mine with the engine not running, they appear to default to about a 45 degree angle after turning the car off (could just be coincidence). Also, I am finding that when you first start the car, they move around a bit. You can hear a click when they move.

At this point, it appears that having them may be a function of build-date, as apparently engine/model/trim does not make a difference. They found the cost/complexity was not worth it and stopped putting them in??

If the car has them, they will be black "louvre" (sp?) looking things between the silver grill and the radiator. From the handfull of times I have looked in mine with the engine not running, they appear to default to about a 45 degree angle after turning the car off (could just be coincidence). Also, I am finding that when you first start the car, they move around a bit. You can hear a click when they move.

At this point, it appears that having them may be a function of build-date, as apparently engine/model/trim does not make a difference. They found the cost/complexity was not worth it and stopped putting them in??

That's a good point, I wonder if build date has anything to do with it? Mine was built 11/17/12 and does have the grill shutters. Anyone that does not have them care to post your build date?

I thought they were only to be on Hybrids and Energis to help reduce drag when the ICE is not running, and cooling is not critical. However, having the shutters behind the grill still gives a bit of a parachute effect, granted no as much as exposing the entire engine cavity.