Study: Younger Buyers Rejecting Japanese Vehicles

What's not stated in the article is that Camry, Corolla, Accord, and Civic are increasingly seen as an old person's vehicle. Many young people were brought up in these vehicles and reject them now that they are young adults. Vehicles like Fiesta and Soul are marketed to younguns. Toyota and Honda are finally getting it, but average age of Camry and Accord buyer is going up. Although the new FR-S and new Corolla should attract a younger buyer, I don't think the new Civic will...too conservative except for coupe in Si form.

And yet the most popular car in 2012 for younger buyers was a Scion.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/scion-tc-was-most-popular-with-young-buyers-in-2012.html

I found JD Power's list, and I'm going to list the raw numbers of the models sold to younger buyers, calculated using everyone's 2012 sales and JD Power's percentages:

Jetta 59,989

Mazda3 49,591

Charger 28,659

Impreza 25,497 (not including WRX)

tC 11,378

TSX 9,901

GTI 7,260

Golf 7,175

ILX 4,925

Lancer (can't find raw numbers; Mitsubishi's probably embarrassed)

A more accurate statement would have been: "Scion tC sells to a higher percentage of younger buyers than any other model." But to say that it's the most popular car among younger buyers is flat-out wrong.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

I found JD Power's list, and I'm going to list the raw numbers of the models sold to younger buyers, calculated using everyone's 2012 sales and JD Power's percentages:

Jetta 59,989

Mazda3 49,591

Charger 28,659

Impreza 25,497 (not including WRX)

tC 11,378

TSX 9,901

GTI 7,260

Golf 7,175

ILX 4,925

Lancer (can't find raw numbers; Mitsubishi's probably embarrassed)

A more accurate statement would have been: "Scion tC sells to a higher percentage of younger buyers than any other model." But to say that it's the most popular car among younger buyers is flat-out wrong.

Exactly. The whole conclusion of this list is flawed if it's not weighted against the overall sales of the vehicles.

I could sell ONE car all year, but if it was to a kid 19 years old, it would be the most popular with young buyers in this study.

That said, it can be understood why there has been some decline in established segment leaders like Civic and Corolla. They just aren't that exciting. Not that the Corolla ever really was, but it's no longer the mandatory "safe choice" to fall back on if you want a reliable car.