Phelan Reviews New Santa Fe Sport

FordBuyer

IMO, the Santa Fe easily is the best looking of the compact Crossovers. And it looks like base and 2.0 turbo are the most powerful. However, fuel mileage is mediocre and the Escape easily outhandles it. So I would still pick Escape over Santa Fe Sport, but it is the best looking to my eyes. Too bad looks aren't everything in life.

IMO, the Santa Fe easily is the best looking of the compact Crossovers. And it looks like base and 2.0 turbo are the most powerful. However, fuel mileage is mediocre and the Escape easily outhandles it. So I would still pick Escape over Santa Fe Sport, but it is the best looking to my eyes. Too bad looks aren't everything in life.

Santa Fe is a midsizer... The odd, bug-like Tuscon is Hyundai's Escape competitor.

Hell, the new Santa Fe can be had with a 3rd row seat!

There's two models:

Sante Fe Sport is five seat two row. (wheelbase 106.3 inches, length 184.6 inches) Within a quarter inch of each dimension of the previous model.

Sante Fe is seven seat three row (wheelbase 110.2 inches, length 193.1 inches)

Ford Escape: (wheelbase 105.9 inches, length 178.1 inches)

Ford Edge: (wheelbase 111.2 inches, length 184.2 inches)

Edited by Intrepidatious

I could be wrong, but I thought "Sport" was essentially the same size as the past Santa Fe, and the new Santa Fe has the 3rd row seat.

Yes, even the old model that debuted about 6 years ago offered an optional third row seat. The Sport, like the old model, is an Edge or larger vehicle competitor.

Tuscon/Escape

Santa Fe Sport/Edge

Santa Fe/Explorer

I actually think Hyundai did a brilliant job with the Santa Fe, very attractive. The 2015 Edge actually looks quite a bit like it.

My wife has the 2011 Santa Fe. I sat in a new one the other day, and it "feels" smaller. I don't know if it is, but everything about it seemed more cramped than before.

Looks aren't everything. I'm saddened by the shrinking greenhouse of today's cars. They may be safer in an accident, but I can't see how having a worse view does anything other than make accidents more likely. The new Santa Fe also followed this trend.

Edited by RangerM