Red Information Light Blinks

Escapism

I noticed this morning at work when I exit the car and lock all the doors there is a Red Info light blinking. I've checked the owners manual and none of the red info light apply. When I unlock the door the light stops blinking. When I sit in the car (with key FOB) and lock the doors it doesn't come on. Only when I lock the vehicle sfrom outside. I could swear this has not happened before if this is the alarm system telling me its active. Does anyone know if this is some kind of alarm security light or other reason? There is nothing wrong with the car after I start it. No warning or information type messages. thank you...

it's your alarm set light

Kinda what I thought, but this has never blinked before. I'm pretty good about glancing in my vehicle after locking it (admiring the beauty of a new vehicle), and after owning it for 13,000 miles I think I would have noticed a blinking red information light. Of course the manual is no :censored: ing help. From what I understand, when I lock the vehicle the alarm is turned on automatically, and vice versa when I enter the vehicle. Did I somehow turn something "extra" on??

Funny thing is the only thing I did different yesterday was use my other(spare) key fob to get something out of the rear last night. The FOB I have always used was still in my pants upstairs and I was too lazy to walk up there to get it. Makes me wonder.

Edited by Escapism

Below the fuel gauge. It's the "i" inside a square icon. The information icon I think. I guess it is the alarm indicator. Kinda stupid if you ask me. Why not make an "alarm" icon all its own. Like that stupid little "doors are locked" light by the stereo controls. Why didn't the designers/engineers make that blink red when the alarm is active. I mean come on, what if the thief is breaking in via the passenger side?? That person might not see the blinking light where it is now. Sorry for the rant.

That's so weird never saw it. My Jetta had them where the old locks would be in the doors. They flashed when alarmed. Did you scroll in the mfd to system check and make sure all was ok? I'm still annoyed I ran out of washer fluid and had no light telling me I ran out....

So an SSM was just posted on Tuesday. Guess we're not actually supposed to have this. Why I do not know... My 2004 Grand Cherokee had it, and it's such a wonderful warning. It can even be considered a safety device as it can be unsafe to run out and not be able to see through the windshield.

SSM 32197 - 2013 Escape - Owner's Manual Incorrect - Low Washer Fluid Level Message
2013 Escape does not have a low washer fluid level message feature, the Owner's Manual is in the process of being updated. Owner's Manual 1st and 2nd printings are incorrect.
  • Like 1

So an SSM was just posted on Tuesday. Guess we're not actually supposed to have this. Why I do not know... My 2004 Grand Cherokee had it, and it's such a wonderful warning. It can even be considered a safety device as it can be unsafe to run out and not be able to see through the windshield.

If you can't see out of the windshield, pull over and stop. It's not a safety issue.

• Like 2

If you can't see out of the windshield, pull over and stop. It's not a safety issue.

Wait... what? If I cannot see out of my windshield, I shouldn't drive my car, that's just crazy talk. What if I were to pop the hood and check the fluid reservoir once a week, would that insure I never ran out?

• 3 weeks later...
Wait... what? If I cannot see out of my windshield, I shouldn't drive my car, that's just crazy talk. What if I were to pop the hood and check the fluid reservoir once a week, would that insure I never ran out?

No because the reservoir is low in the fender. I find this absurd on a vehicle that can top off on the titanium level at $37k+ I've seen base model entry level cars foreign and domestic with low wiper fluid sensors....it's not and alien concept especially on a vehicle you can "talk to"

Driving and guy in front of you on the highway kicks up "god knows what" on your windshield. You are in the left lane and now have no visibility it's not safe and a simple feature to incorporate into such a tech filled vehicle. Love the way it showed in the first two printings and was never present

No because the reservoir is low in the fender. I find this absurd on a vehicle that can top off on the titanium level at $37k+ I've seen base model entry level cars foreign and domestic with low wiper fluid sensors....it's not and alien concept especially on a vehicle you can "talk to"

OK, let me rephrase my statement; what if I (you) were to pop the hood and top it off once a week (or more often depending on use), would that ensure I (you) never ran out?

OK, let me rephrase my statement; what if I (you) were to pop the hood and top it off once a week (or more often depending on use), would that ensure I (you) never ran out?

OK, lets all look at this from a Vulcan point of view, ie logical (saw the new Star Trek this weekend, sorry). Out of all the fluids in our cars the few that we run out of the most often in order of frequency is 1) gasoline ; 2) wiper fluid ; etc... This is provided your car is in good working order and not leaking oil, brake fluid, coolant, etc... But we have sensors for most of them, except the one we run out of the second to most often next to gas. Hmmm, go figure. I think we should of had a senser, at least for the SEL trim level and above. I mean come on, rain sensing wipers but no low fluid sensor!!!

Out of all the fluids in our cars the few that we run out of the most often in order of frequency is 1) gasoline ; 2) wiper fluid ; etc...

Don't forget about the headlight fluid!! That's definitely up in the top 3 of fluid usage! Especially with the new HID lights!! ;)

This is ridiculous. How can everyone simply ignore the lack of a muffler bearing lubricant gauge? I'm cancelling my ordered Escape first thing tomorrow after this discovery. :runaway:

In all seriousness, it is a little surprising that they didn't engineer a sensor in for the washer fluid. My 1991 Mercury Sable had one! But in reality its not a big deal. My Fusion doesn't have one either, so I've gotten used to it. Topping off the fluid just becomes part of the washing and oil change routines.

Edited by Gator06
  • Like 1