Dark Side Metallic or Sunset, has anyone seen them?

@ice-capades, I'm sure you realize that <J1> isn't a point where magically lights are turned on and the factory starts running. There are always "pre-production" units produced. These are saleable units (i.e, you don't just crush them) which generally go into company service, sometimes as engineering vehicles or company lease, and ultimately end up in the used car market. These early units are used to sort out the manufacturing process and also to get the suppliers lined up, including utilizing the Ford ordering and scheduling systems that broadcast orders to suppliers for JIT, in-sequence supply. These are company orders, not dealer orders. These early builds await the "OK to Buy" to ensure any problems are sorted before they are shipped.

I mentioned in my post that my Flat Rock Fusion has been serialized (i.e., has a VIN). I also mentioned that it shows a July build, but that could change. Both statements are true. There is a lot of flexibility on the timing of the build. Could be July, could be August or later if there are issues or any postponement to <J1>.

I also mentioned that I didn't expect to see it until September or October which corresponds to the point when "normal" post <J1> vehicles would be shipped assuming everything goes OK.

I guess if you want to be skeptical, fine.

The 2014 Escape, Explorer, Taurus, and MKS are now shown on ford.com and lincoln.com. Sunset looks pretty much as expected. The funny thing is Ford doesn't even seem to know what color Dark Side is supposed to be. It looks completely different on all of the models. The Explorer looks blue-green, the Taurus looks purple, and the MKS looks dark blue. My best guess is it can look like any of these colors depending on the light. Should be very interesting to see on an actual vehicle!

Took some pics last night...fee free to post here.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f697/2014-sunset-dark-side-colors-522311/

The Lunar Sky paint sample picture you posted shows how it can look grey/gray with a purplish tint like it appears in my picture of my Focus

527043_465626163469277_162455314_n.jpg

but in some light it has more of a brown tint to it

531712_451500251548535_1478671161_n.jpg

Maybe that is why it this colour goes by 2 different names in some markets Lunar Sky and others Brisbane Brown

Edited by MKII

@ice-capades, I'm sure you realize that <J1> isn't a point where magically lights are turned on and the factory starts running. There are always "pre-production" units produced. These are saleable units (i.e, you don't just crush them) which generally go into company service, sometimes as engineering vehicles or company lease, and ultimately end up in the used car market. These early units are used to sort out the manufacturing process and also to get the suppliers lined up, including utilizing the Ford ordering and scheduling systems that broadcast orders to suppliers for JIT, in-sequence supply. These are company orders, not dealer orders. These early builds await the "OK to Buy" to ensure any problems are sorted before they are shipped.

I mentioned in my post that my Flat Rock Fusion has been serialized (i.e., has a VIN). I also mentioned that it shows a July build, but that could change. Both statements are true. There is a lot of flexibility on the timing of the build. Could be July, could be August or later if there are issues or any postponement to <J1>.

I also mentioned that I didn't expect to see it until September or October which corresponds to the point when "normal" post <J1> vehicles would be shipped assuming everything goes OK.

I guess if you want to be skeptical, fine.

I had no idea that pre production cars where sold in the used car market.

I had no idea that pre production cars where sold in the used car market.

To be clear, the vehicles I'm talking about are those that are produced in the plant before the official <J1>. These are not prototypes, nor are they vehicles that are built in the Pilot Plant. They are produced in the plant using production tooling and also using production supplier parts. If there are any part changes or updates, those are completed at the plant (or through an outside source) before the vehicles are released. These early units are put into Company service -- employee lease cars, pool cars, engineering test vehicles, etc. At the end of the lease (approx. one year), the vehicles are sent to auction.

Ford has encouraged employee leases on new products by offering a somewhat lower price. That helps fill the plant early with buildable orders, and it gives the plant and engineering employees vehicles they can drive for quality evaluations without complaint from the customer (one car I got had over 100 miles on the odometer). If everything goes right, then those vehicles will be in the hands of employees and Ford can get early feedback on any issues. More often than not, however, there is some glitch. In that case, vehicles might be built and then parked for update. If a new part is involved, the priority will go to the assembly plant to support production for retail customers and it can take a while for repairs of the early builds (or months in the case of Escape due to the hailstorm in Louisville).

So my Flat Rock Fusion is scheduled for a July build. You might expect that things should go smoothly because Ford is already building the Fusion in Hermosillo. But the production equipment is new to the plant. And I have no idea whether the sourcing of components has changed. So I have no idea when I'll actually see it, but Sep-Oct would be a reasonable guess.

I looked up Sunset in my color formula software from work. We have formulas already available so that's good.

Reading the formula it's black, with some of the Xirallic pearls it there. Mostly green pearl, and some of the blue too. From what I can make of it, just picture a slightly greener version of Tuxedo Black. Similar cuts of the pearl, so the effect will be similar. Just a slightly different hue.

I looked up Sunset in my color formula software from work. We have formulas already available so that's good.

Reading the formula it's black, with some of the Xirallic pearls it there. Mostly green pearl, and some of the blue too. From what I can make of it, just picture a slightly greener version of Tuxedo Black. Similar cuts of the pearl, so the effect will be similar. Just a slightly different hue.

Did you mean Dark Side Metallic?

Looking at the literature, Facebook, etc. for the 2014 Escape, the photos have been updated with what appears to be Sunset. Looks like a variation of red, leaning a little towards orange.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...went to the local dealer today that got a Sunset and Darkside Explorer in this last week to try and do some deciding. Lets say that nothing has been decided. Its driving me crazy. My wife really likes them both, but likes the Sunset more, which I didn't see coming. Dark side lives up to its name. Very Dark, but I like the uniqueness of it. I'm just worried the Sunset is going to be a dated color in two to three years. Here they are, any opinions are welcome!

IMG_3584.jpg
IMG_3587.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg
IMG_3604.jpg
IMG_3606.jpg
IMG_3594.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg

Edited by MineralstangGT
  • Like 1

I was at the dealership this morning and I was looking at a Taurus. I realized I'd never seen this color and low and behold, Dark Side Metallic. I thought it was black at first. I see MineralstangGT got his photo glitch worked out, but here's some more shots.

post-36355-0-38457200-1372089570_thumb.jpg post-36355-0-80490800-1372089582_thumb.jpg post-36355-0-41251700-1372089595_thumb.jpg post-36355-0-54454000-1372089614_thumb.jpg post-36355-0-92777200-1372089624_thumb.jpg

Edited by transitman
  • Like 1

Man, I must be blind but it was less Blue than I was hoping for. To my eye, it definitely has more green tones in it than I was expecting but it is blue.

It depends, to me it looks obviously blue, but in some photos it does tint toward green.