Key Fob Wireless features, Issues (Is it just me?)

blockisle9

Has anyone else had any trouble unlocking the doors when grabbing the handle with the fob in your pocket?

Mine works fine 50% of the time, the other 50% I have to move the fob around in my pocket or turn so the pocket is next to the door. I am not inadvertently touching the lock pad on the handle. Once in awhile (not much at all) when I get in the car and go to start it, it tells me no key found in vehicle and I have to reach in my pocket and move the fob.

Also, the lift gate is a pain to open with my foot. Just when I think I got the knack on how to kick, it won’t work till after multiple attempts.

(I look like an idiot kicking at the back of the car.) not sure if thats user error or the same bob issue.

I’ve tried both fobs with the same results; I even tried replacing the battery in both fobs, neither worked.

The dealer can not duplicate the problem, so they can’t do anything.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the end of the world, it’s just annoying when some really cool technology features gives you grief.

Sorry for the long post.......

It seems to me that if it only works 20% of the time, you should be able to easily duplicate it for the dealership. I've never had issues with starting the car, but occasionally it won't unlock the door. On mine, I think it has more to do with the antenna/sensor on the car than the fob, as when that happens, I can easily grab the rear door handle (without moving myself) and it unlocks first time every time.

As for having stuff in your pockets that interfere, I routinely have 2-3 sets of keyless entry fobs in the same pocket and haven't had issues with any of the vehicles unlocking (short of the issue I occasionally have with mine regardless of the keys in my pocket).

My drivers side rear door handle is the most finnicky of all mine. All the others are near 100% of the time when I grab the handle to automatically unlock the door. But that one handle, well, sometimes it just doesn't want to work until like the 3rd, 4th or 5th try. I'm not sure if the system needs a second or two to "reset" or not and I'm being impatient.

I've had this same behavior happen to me. I've learned to:

1) First get close enough to the vehicle before reaching for the handle - not so close you get dirty but definitely next to the vehicle without a full arm reach to the handle

2) Reach for the handle (1 second)

3) Grab the handle (1 second)

4) Listen for the unlocking sound - faint but if you can't hear it you can feel the unlocking movement

5) Open the door

I can't count the times I've tried pulling the door handle before the vehicle unlocked but if I generally just move a little slower throughout the process it responds consistently. The unlocking process I've described is my own trial and error observations and ideally souldn't be needed but I guess this is price we pay for new technology. By the way, even this process isn't always 100% successful. If the door doesn't respond by unlocking obviously you need to go through it again. The way to not be too disappointed with the process is to rely on your hearing or touch to ascertain when the door is actually unlocked.

As for the hatch foot kick problem, I do not have this feature because of the towing package but I have read about this behavior. There is much more information about the hands free liftgate operation as expressed by owners some of which I think is here on the blueovalforums but here is a link that might give you some more insight into how the subsystem actually operates

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/130852-hands-on-wii-like-sensor-plus-a-gentle-kick-opens-ford-escapes-liftgate

Another observation I have about locking the vehicle is that I now use the key fob but if you prefer using the handle locking pad I've found it to be more consistent if you increase the sensors detection of contact by first lightly moistening your fingertip before press/pause/hold and again listening for the locking mechanism to operate. Alternately you can also follow the instructions in the Owners Manual on page 61:

To Unlock All Doors
Enter the factory set code or your personal
code, then press the 3·4 control within five
seconds.
To Lock All Doors
Press and hold 7·8 and 9·0 at the same
time (with the driver’s door closed). You
do not need to enter the keypad code first.
Edited by ticobird

My drivers side rear door handle is the most finnicky of all mine. All the others are near 100% of the time when I grab the handle to automatically unlock the door. But that one handle, well, sometimes it just doesn't want to work until like the 3rd, 4th or 5th try. I'm not sure if the system needs a second or two to "reset" or not and I'm being impatient.

I have come across that same issue but it happens on both rear doors. Funny everytime I go to record it to show the dealer .. it works. What I am currently trying is to make sure that the keyfob is on the closer to the door, seems to be a small trick that works better.

Could you be accidently touching the "button" on the outside of the handle, locking it again? I was having issues with my SHO doing this till I figure out what I was doing wrong and my dad was having problems with his Escape unlocking because of his thumb "touching" the button.

I've seen cold water "lock" the car when I was washing it and the water was flowing on it!

• 1 month later...
Could you be accidently touching the "button" on the outside of the handle, locking it again? I was having issues with my SHO doing this till I figure out what I was doing wrong and my dad was having problems with his Escape unlocking because of his thumb "touching" the button.

I've seen cold water "lock" the car when I was washing it and the water was flowing on it!

I don't understand the thumb touching the button silvrsvt? Is it because he touches it too soon..??

No, I'm not hitting the button on the top of the handle. This does this even on the rear doors that do not have this.

It also does it once in awhile in the car when trying to start it. "No My Ford key found"

To correct both of these issues I just have to jiggle the keys in my pocket.

I've tryed both fobs, and new batteries.

It's an intermittent issues that can not be duplicated at will.