FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT - RECALL

Chris1970

Apparently, parts are in for the recall for my fusion. I'm dropping off next week for the replacement.

I guess I didn't hear right when I asked if parts for both recalls were in, and they responded yes. The only thing they did was replace my shifter knob with the leather one. No fuel delivery module part in yet.

I made an appointment for Friday morning for this recall. When I registered my new car on the Ford owner site it told me of the recall. Now that I know parts won't be available for weeks if not months there's no point going in with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone had this replaced yet? I had mine in (for inspection) when news about this first broke month's ago, and my dealer still hasn't called me about having the new tank in?

Side topic: has anyone had TSB 13-6-3 done at their dealership? It's for the issue of only being able to fill the tank to 10-12 gallons.

I was curious how this would work...does one fuel tank change fix both issues?

Has anyone had this replaced yet? I had mine in (for inspection) when news about this first broke month's ago, and my dealer still hasn't called me about having the new tank in?

Side topic: has anyone had TSB 13-6-3 done at their dealership? It's for the issue of only being able to fill the tank to 10-12 gallons.

I was curious how this would work...does one fuel tank change fix both issues?

The recall is for the Fuel sender only, not the whole tank. So having the recall work done will not fix the filling up issue. They are two separate issues. I had my dealer "look" at the filling issue. They asked if I would be OK with them only doing the flash of the cluster to see if that improved things. I agreed to this, because really, I'd rather them not have to touch the fuel tank if at all possible. Doing just the flash, I was able to get 15 Gallons in from empty. That was enough for me, since I feel a 10% reserve is acceptable. Prior to that I could only get 12.x in.

The recall is for the Fuel sender only, not the whole tank. So having the recall work done will not fix the filling up issue. They are two separate issues. I had my dealer "look" at the filling issue. They asked if I would be OK with them only doing the flash of the cluster to see if that improved things. I agreed to this, because really, I'd rather them not have to touch the fuel tank if at all possible. Doing just the flash, I was able to get 15 Gallons in from empty. That was enough for me, since I feel a 10% reserve is acceptable. Prior to that I could only get 12.x in.

15 gallons sounds right - 16.5 gallons minus 10%.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not worried about the tank or the fuel pump or sender. I look in the manual, and it tells me how much gas it's supposed to hold. Even thow the gauges show there are 0 miles to empty, the car still drives. I am not worried about that, I feel it is the manufacturer being conservative.

I just pump the gas and see how much I put in. If it is close to the capacity of the tank as listed in the manual, then I know I'm getting maximum range.

ps: I brought mine in for the My Ford Touch update today. There was also an outstanding recall for a few other things including the fuel pump. We'll see how much they replace....

I must be missing something here. How does flashing the cluster allow more fuel in?

Looks like most people are going the route of just updating the instrument cluster and that seems to fix it. I think I'll have them do that first...

So, the thought on this is that when it shows Empty, its not really on empty?

The tank actually holds the right amount, but the gauge (and DTE) never was right?

I must be missing something here. How does flashing the cluster allow more fuel in?

So, the thought on this is that when it shows Empty, its not really on empty?

The tank actually holds the right amount, but the gauge (and DTE) never was right?

To be honest, I'm confused as well. I can understand the DTE being fixed with the update, but I only usually get 12.5Gallons in my tank and that gets cut off from the gas pump. As far as I know the fuel hitting the tip of the gas pump is what trips it to shut off, so it really sounds like the tank is filling up with only 12.5 gallons. Anyone have any insight?

:headspin:

Think of it like this: Before flashing the instrument panel, the computer is reporting that you are empty and then you can only fill to tank capacity which was 12.5 gallons. The issue is that while the computer is telling you you are empty, there is really another 4 gallons left in the tank as reserve, thus, you can only get 12.5 gallons back in. After the flash, the computer says it's empty when there is roughly 1.5-2 gallons in the tank as the reserve, so now on a fillup you can get 14.5-15 gallons in.

So, it's not fixing an issue of not being able to fill up all the way, it's fixing the way the computer tells you when it's at empty. The reason just the flash is working for a lot of people is that if you can get 12-13 gallons in when at empty then your tank itself is most likely fine, just the reporting of the computer is messed up. There were a few that could only get 10 gallons in at empty and they probably had both a tank/display issue.

• Like 1

Think of it like this: Before flashing the instrument panel, the computer is reporting that you are empty and then you can only fill to tank capacity which was 12.5 gallons. The issue is that while the computer is telling you you are empty, there is really another 4 gallons left in the tank as reserve, thus, you can only get 12.5 gallons back in. After the flash, the computer says it's empty when there is roughly 1.5-2 gallons in the tank as the reserve, so now on a fillup you can get 14.5-15 gallons in.

So, it's not fixing an issue of not being able to fill up all the way, it's fixing the way the computer tells you when it's at empty. The reason just the flash is working for a lot of people is that if you can get 12-13 gallons in when at empty then your tank itself is most likely fine, just the reporting of the computer is messed up. There were a few that could only get 10 gallons in at empty and they probably had both a tank/display issue.

Thanks for the explanation, that does make sense.

My last fill up was at 11 miles to empty and I put in 13.879 gallons at first click off. Build date 3/12/13. So that's 2.621 gallons left (theoretically) for 11 miles indicated. Definitely on the conservative side.

You probably had close to .5 gallons left, maybe a tad less. Also, i can usually get another .5 to .75 gallons going to the third click (which according to the manual is how you should top off). Add that up and you are at about 15 gallons which equates to a 10% reserve. I'd day that's normal, not conservative.