Thoughts on the 09 F-150

Lets talk about the upcoming F-150 and what we might see on it:

3v 4.6L V8

Hurricane 5.8/6.2L V8

4.4L Diesel V8

HLA/Hydraulic Hybrid

6 Speed Auto

Ford Corp Tribar grill

Return of the Lightning with GT500 engine or 5.8L Boss engine shared with the Boss Mustang

IRS?

Lincoln Mark LT

More quinue sheetmetal, instead of a new grill and trim peices

IRS from Expy?

The one thing that scares me is that back in 1992 (after the last gas spike due to 1st Iraq war) the F series only sold 500K units, where as today the F-150 sells well north of 850K mark. Do you think the F-series will shrink down back to that number, due to increased gas prices/competetion? But then again Ford had several cars that where selling over 300K units at the same time, which is next to impossible these days to do with all competition out there.

3v 4.6L V8

Hurricane 5.8/6.2L V8

4.4L Diesel V8

HLA/Hydraulic Hybrid

6 Speed Auto

Ford Corp Tribar grill

Return of the Lightning with GT500 engine or 5.8L Boss engine shared with the Boss Mustang

IRS?

Lincoln Mark LT

More quinue sheetmetal, instead of a new grill and trim peices

IRS from Expy?

The one thing that scares me is that back in 1992 (after the last gas spike due to 1st Iraq war) the F series only sold 500K units, where as today the F-150 sells well north of 850K mark. Do you think the F-series will shrink down back to that number, due to increased gas prices/competetion? But then again Ford had several cars that where selling over 300K units at the same time, which is next to impossible these days to do with all competition out there.

Share has to shrink (see Exlporer), mostly due to the increased competition. Both the Toyota Tacoma and Tundra (new and old) will steal share fromthe F150. New GM products will as well, and Dodge will try to maintain thier position. I see more and more Tundras and Tacomas being used as work trucks, this is where Ford always had an advantage. Folks around here are actually pulling large trailers with them, and they are all over construction sites. I imagine they won't hold up that well, but it dosen't matter what we think here, look at the numbers - Sales are down already and the new Tundra and GM products are not even out yet.

Share has to shrink (see Exlporer), mostly due to the increased competition. Both the Toyota Tacoma and Tundra (new and old) will steal share fromthe F150. New GM products will as well, and Dodge will try to maintain thier position. I see more and more Tundras and Tacomas being used as work trucks, this is where Ford always had an advantage. Folks around here are actually pulling large trailers with them, and they are all over construction sites. I imagine they won't hold up that well, but it dosen't matter what we think here, look at the numbers - Sales are down already and the new Tundra and GM products are not even out yet.

That tacoma is a good truck that is filling in where the F150 used to be which is why Ford needs an F100 at this point.

The half tons have become to big and to heavy for many people.

As far as the current tundra taking sales from the F150...its doubtful.

For now F-series has been gaiing share inthe full truck segment. They will lose about 2 points to GM (each Gm anf Ford always loe 2 points when the other introduces a new Truck). The full segment is going down and so if F150, but for now , F150 has been going down slower than everyone else.

I have seen exactly ONE non Detroit truck at a contrcution and it was the Midsize Nissan. Toyopta will sell OK, but will hardly take sizeable chunk from Ford and GM - ab small cotnractor might take the bet, but a bug corporation, that has had no problems with their Ford/Gm trucks and has guys who know those trucks like their shoes, and go to beer with the servicement from their local Ford Truck dealer - Tundra will not get there - these markets are loyual, and Tundra would have to have some REAL advantage in towing, Hauling or bed size, to appeal to these markets over the proven models - and so far it seems there will be NOTHING on the spec sheet to make the Tundra look any better than the new Gm's or the 07 F150 and the 08 Super Duty.

Igor

what is different between then and now?

The trucks became personal transportation and not work trucks.

How much of the growth came from Supercabs and Crewcabs? All of it.

SO will they shrink back to 500k? Possibly. But it will take a few years as people shy away. If you've gotten used to V8, rwd, full size comfort... a Civic or Corolla ain't gonna cut it.

what is different between then and now?

The trucks became personal transportation and not work trucks.

How much of the growth came from Supercabs and Crewcabs? All of it.

SO will they shrink back to 500k? Possibly. But it will take a few years as people shy away. If you've gotten used to V8, rwd, full size comfort... a Civic or Corolla ain't gonna cut it.

The lackluster sales performance of recent full-size truck "substitutes" indicates that people aren't easily willing to give up the full-size truck "toughness" for the sake of a little extra money in the pocket.

The Sport Trac, Ridgeline, Baja.....none of them exactly ran away with the market.

America loves their trucks. As higher efficiency diesels and hybrids infiltrate the fullsize market in the coming years, I think we'll find that the market isn't going to shrink as quickly as some of the doom-and-gloom naysayers believe.

That tacoma is a good truck that is filling in where the F150 used to be which is why Ford needs an F100 at this point.

The half tons have become to big and to heavy for many people.

As far as the current tundra taking sales from the F150...its doubtful.

totally agree 100%

fine if Ford wants to ditch the Ranger's segment long term, but they still need the "missing link". where Tacoma is now is where Ford has not been in a long time, but there is a huge need.

there are tons (no pun intended) of people who need a truck that's good enough, without the near-super-duty capability that the current F-150 provides

The key is gas mileage. The fabulous gas mileage of the 4 cylinder ranger has helped it keep what little share it still maintains. The F-150 is practically the second worst in its segment, engine for engine, when it comes to gas mileage. Only Dodge burns more gas across the entire line.

Ford needs to improve the F-150s fuel economy numbers. They need to lighten the existing truck, switch to the more efficient 4.6L 3V for the smaller V8, and come up with a V6 that's more efficient than the base v8. Switching to 6ATs should help both the power problem perception and the fuel economy numbers. Ford needs a configuration of the F-150 that can manage 20 mpg in the city. My 99 4.2L auto extended could only ever manage 16 mpg. That's not gonna cut it in a $3+ a gallon world.

BRING BACK THE RANCHERO!!!! PUT IT ON THE CD3 PLATFORM!!!

VIVA LA RAZA!!!!!!!

LOWRIDERS UNITE!!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

cvdon_waszak.jpg

Back in '82 - '83 I had one that looked just like this beauty - I loved it, but it was not everyone's cup of tea....

I have continued to wonder if Ranger could be replaced with a nicely styled Ranchero. I think a more car-like body with bed and a high ground clearance would be a good direction if Ford didn't want to upsize the Ranger.

The Ranger fans though know what they want as does the Panther fans. Its funny how they have nothing really in common, but they have similarities. Ford has been reluctant to significantly change or replace them, buyers don't want them to change that much, they are both fleet favorites for their unique reasons and they seem to last a long time. Its just that their popularity respectfully has deteriorated over the years except among the loyalists.

I also thought Ford killed the F-150 hybrid a while ago when Ford backed off his 250k hybrids by 2010 or whatever and went more towards Flex Fuel?

HLA/Hydraulic Hybrid is not the same as the gas-electric hybrid. HLA/HH makes a LOT of sense of big trucks. Imagine an F-150 that gets 50-60 mpg city!

Just wanted to clarify one thing.. F-150 does not sell 850k units a year, F-Series (150,250,350, etc.) does.

I also thought Ford killed the F-150 hybrid a while ago when Ford backed off his 250k hybrids by 2010 or whatever and went more towards Flex Fuel?

I believe Diesel is the cat's meow now. Significant improvements in highway mileage vs. hybrids, and improvements in city mileage as well.

So the Tacoma is doing well in the marketplace because it's "cool"? I'm sorry, that's a new one on me.

I don't think it is, but among its buyers it is perceived as "cool". And there are a lot of them out there willing to plop down the money to have one.

So the Tacoma is doing well in the marketplace because it's "cool"? I'm sorry, that's a new one on me.

I don't think it is, but among its buyers it is perceived as "cool". And there are a lot of them out there willing to plop down the money to have one.

I suppose. I don't think anybody buys something that they themselves perceive as nerdy (regardless of how the rest of us may see it). Could be a regional thing too. Out here, if I drive down through Southwest Washington (depressed logging country) I see a lot of Tacomas. Most of them I see are just work trucks. On the other hand, I overheard a conversation at the gym the other day between 2 young (student age) women, talking about full-size Ford trucks, discussing the styling, how they wanted one (My guess is that its main use would be to haul their little tushes to the gym), and how "cool" they were.

I guess my point is (your opinion may differ, I'm guessing from your avatar) that full size trucks have gotten way too big, and that a lot of people buy the Tacoma because it is the right size for what they need it to do - not necessarily for the cool factor. Never hurts to be cool though.

BRING BACK THE RANCHERO!!!! PUT IT ON THE CD3 PLATFORM!!!

VIVA LA RAZA!!!!!!!

LOWRIDERS UNITE!!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Ranchero YES- CD3- NO!!!!!

There is an EASY solution, use the panther. Its cheap, V8/rwd config, body on frame and as it sits now get 25+mpg on the highway.

Well, the Panther does have a solid-built, hydroformed frame AND Ford probably needs to address the problem with the F-150 being now so large. People who want something smaller and more economical than the F-150 have nothing except either a 4 door Sport Trac with a small bed or the really compact Ranger.

Most commerical use buyers aren't probably going to want four doors anyway and using the Panther platform allows for the Ranger (another fleet favorite) to migrate and grow. It allows for a larger vehicle to be able to handle a decent tow capacity without the penalty of having a big F-150. It remains relatively easy to park, keeps gas mileage acceptable and keeps the Panther platform practical for awhile longer...at least for the next few years. The Ranchero used to be built on the Torino, so maybe the CV could support the Ranchero again. I strongly doubt its feasible though.