Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon midsize pickup trucks to get diesel engines

silvrsvt

Will Ford return the "shot across the bow" with an F100/Ranger based on full size Transit with a 3.2L I5 Powerstroke??

Cab Chassis Transit with a tray back would make an interesting alternative to a Ranger,

it would be a splendid way of sponsoring a fuel efficient diesel truck without

the addded cost of a whole new production line.

Scales of economy with Transit may see Ford do an end run around Ram and GM...

Cab Chassis Transit with a tray back would make an interesting alternative to a Ranger,

Scales of economy with Transit may see Ford do an end run around Ram and GM...

I dunno. Big question would be whether the mileage would be that much better than the F150. I have my doubts. The Transit is not small.

I dunno. Big question would be whether the mileage would be that much better than the F150. I have my doubts. The Transit is not small.

On Ford's own website, the configurator shows Van, Bus, CC and cut away options.

It's not a big jump form there to accessing an aftermarket tray back work vehicle...

I do agree that Transit is not small but the design is very efficient, something fleets

and fuel efficient minded people will be looking for, I suggest it merely as an opportunity

for Ford to "match" some of the other diesel offerings without needing to do anything to F150.

In the end buyers will make up their own minds on what is actually needed, I see this as

an inexpensive way for Ford to toe in the water and test buyer interest without huge commitment.

That's the difference

oxfordwhiteSWB_zpsb764ce20.jpg

oxfordwhiteLWB_zps9f85ff5f.jpg

Edited by jpd80

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/27/chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-midsize-pickup-trucks-to-get-diesel-e/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016&ts=1377721495

WTF GM? Going to put a diesel in your small pickups but not your full-sized non-HD ones?!?!?

Might actually be a smart move. Think about it, one of the reasons we don't have a Ranger is because the F-150's fuel economy with the 3.7-liter was about as good as the last Ranger's. So if you're going to invest and play in the small/midsize truck market here in the U.S., you've got to offer a few reasons for folks to want to go to your midsize offering. A smaller size so it fits in the garage combined with the mileage advantage offered by these trucks when equipped with this engine will be a couple of good reasons. Because almost certainly, GM is going to encounter the problem that Ford used as another justification for not giving us the current Ranger here: when equipped like this with said engine, these trucks are undoubtedly going to be in or at least close to Silverado/Sierra territory price-wise.

Like I said, this may help the Colorado/Canyon in just the right way.

Edited by OHV 16V

Interesting, and ugly as an Aztec which would translate to fleet only demand.

• Like 1

Interesting, and ugly as an Aztec which would translate to fleet only demand.

Which in turn would maintain the "purity" of F150 in the eyes of retail buyers,

can we say the same about Silverado's base fleet trucks?

Either way, I not that passionate about a Transit truck, if people want it, it's there..

and FWIW, a 3.2 Transit CC is around 4,000 lbs kerb weight, a lot less than F150...

Edited by jpd80

Which in turn would maintain the "purity" of F150 in the eyes of retail buyers

Oh, I don't know about that. Dean could provide some information about how many fleet-grade XLs Ford sells. It really doesn't impact buyer perception here. If anything, the sight of a beat-up XL with a ladder rack, a vinyl interior, and the logo of a Fortune 500 company on an Oxford white body *adds* to the credibility of 'F150 as work vehicle' that just about every truck owner buys into.

It's like the credibility that beat-up Jeeps in wild offroad wilderness lend to the leather-clad-never-off-pavement vehicles owned by suburbanites.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Oh, I don't know about that. Dean could provide some information about how many fleet-grade XLs Ford sells. It really doesn't impact buyer perception here. If anything, the sight of a beat-up XL with a ladder rack, a vinyl interior, and the logo of a Fortune 500 company on an Oxford white body *adds* to the credibility of 'F150 as work vehicle' that just about every truck owner buys into.

It's like the credibility that beat-up Jeeps in wild offroad wilderness lend to the leather-clad-never-off-pavement vehicles owned by suburbanites.

Like a badge of honor for meritorious duty?

Yeha i can get that, especially when F150 buyer are adult enough to differentiate between a work truck and the retail variants.

I'm not passionate about the transit pick up, it's an option if buyers want it but i have a feeling that the new F150 won't need a diesel.

One thing Ford does really well is the F150 line, because they know the market and in particular what their buyers want.

Edited by jpd80