Where is the Gas Filler?

There never was a standard, it went where it was convienent for the manufacturer or where the stylist picked. Model A Ford had it in the center of the cowl, right in front of the windshield. And some IH pickups in the 60s and 70s had it in the front fender, just in front of the door.

My Brother's '64 Mini Cooper had two tanks, one on each side connected by a 5/16" line. If the main tank ran dry the reserve tank was supposed to equalize the fuel. Sometimes that took a while to work, so he always kept the primary full. Of course, the mini was so small, most gas hoses could go around the whole car.

I remember Jaguar XJs in the '60s-'70s that had a filler on each side below the rear window.

I don't think that Ford sold many RWD Explorers in Europe, but the filler on my '06 is on the right side

Well I would Like to know who though it was a good idea to put the filler behind the tag and what had to happen before someone said that wasnt a good idea. I think that makes for a more interesting mini documentary instead of this.

Isnt a Deloreans filler in the hood? I know some had hood flaps but others didnt so I think they had to raise the hood like in the VW

Well I would Like to know who though it was a good idea to put the filler behind the tag and what had to happen before someone said that wasnt a good idea. I think that makes for a more interesting mini documentary instead of this.

Did anyone other than GM do that? I'm guessing problems with rear-end collisions led to it being prohibited by the FMVSS, but that's just a guess.

The original Mustangs had the filler cap in the middle of the trunk, except for one of the Shelby GTs (for some reason, I want to say it was the GT-500KR)--they had to relocate the filler because they brought the dual exhaust together and out in the center (directly under the Mustang's stock filler) instead of off to the side.

Did anyone other than GM do that? I'm guessing problems with rear-end collisions led to it being prohibited by the FMVSS, but that's just a guess.

The original Mustangs had the filler cap in the middle of the trunk, except for one of the Shelby GTs (for some reason, I want to say it was the GT-500KR)--they had to relocate the filler because they brought the dual exhaust together and out in the center (directly under the Mustang's stock filler) instead of off to the side.

All of the Shelbys from '65-'70 had the filler in the same location as the Mustang with the possible exception of the pure race models. The '69-'70 moved the license plate up between the taillights to accomodate the center exhaust outlets, but the filler was still located in the panel behind the plate.

post-16479-0-85056600-1379965116_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark B. Morrow