Goodbye J Mays (and others)

Maybe we're over reading this, maybe Mays recent comments are no more than a sign that he feels his contribution is coming to an end.

Most of the new corporate styling is now set so It could be as simple as he felt it was time to just move on or just drift along for a few years..

irrespective J, at the worst he may have been informed Ford wanted fresh ideas and was asked to step aside...fired....no, very doubtful. Based on the comment...its the truth, how can one punish a guy for stating the obvious?....aside from that, im of the firm beleif that design teams NEED regular change to maintain a fresh approach...Callum with Wolff may be exactly that.....perhaps a good thing.....if anything Fords current design, whilst clean, could do with a shot in the arm to stand out from the crowd...

People seem to forget that Mays has worked 33 years in the industry. There comes a time in your life when you realize the years are going by and you really want to do something else before you cash in your chips (I speak from experience).

That being said, I imagine theres's more to this story than what the PR release says. While I'm not the biggest Mays fan on the planet, the guy seemed to truly like his job. I'm more curious now if Callum will radically change things.

irrespective J, at the worst he may have been informed Ford wanted fresh ideas and was asked to step aside...fired....no, very doubtful. Based on the comment...its the truth, how can one punish a guy for stating the obvious?....aside from that, im of the firm beleif that design teams NEED regular change to maintain a fresh approach...Callum with Wolff may be exactly that.....perhaps a good thing.....if anything Fords current design, whilst clean, could do with a shot in the arm to stand out from the crowd...

People seem to forget that Mays has worked 33 years in the industry. There comes a time in your life when you realize the years are going by and you really want to do something else before you cash in your chips (I speak from experience).

That being said, I imagine theres's more to this story than what the PR release says. While I'm not the biggest Mays fan on the planet, the guy seemed to truly like his job. I'm more curious now if Callum will radically change things.

I think Both of you are correct, styling and design teams need challenges and fresh faces to keep the energy and momentum going.

Mays has been around for a long time, he's nearly 60 and probably wants a change of pace now that his new cars will be arriving soon

and the next gen (+4 years) have been begun and under styling development.

Sometimes we forget that Mays styling team is four years ahead of deliveries we see today so perhaps this is the perfect time for him to step off..

Edited by jpd80

lol....based on a LOT of comments regarding Fords styling trends, maybe he will go in a direction different from his brother regarding Fords ( APPARENT ) Aston grille..........

I think Both of you are correct, styling and design teams need challenges and fresh faces to keep the energy and momentum going.

Mays has been around for a long time, he's nearly 60 and probably wants a change of pace now that his new cars will be arriving soon

and the next gen (+4 years) have been begun and under styling development.

Sometimes we forget that Mays styling team is four years ahead of deliveries we see today so perhaps this is the perfect time for him to step off..

anyone have any idea of what hes got coming?....MKC and Mustang...what else?....

Credit Mays for finding and hiring good people and letting them work. And someone should make a few remarks about how Telnack & Mays were as influential in their era as Earl and Mitchell were in theirs.

a leader is only as good as his support team.......

Yes......and that was very short-lived.

For starters, how about publicly saying "Lincoln is not true luxury"? What kind of moron would say something like that?

A moron that is a realist and isn't fooling themselves as to Lincoln's place in the market?

When you consider that Mays most recent misfire was the MKT, and that was what? four? years ago........................

And Escape, Focus, Flex, heck, even the Fusion is just a mess of many different design elements.

Styling and design are certainly not Ford strong points.

And Escape, Focus, Flex, heck, even the Fusion is just a mess of many different design elements.

:headscratch:

Escape, Focus, and Fusion all seem to be doing just fine. One of the largest (if not the largest) contributors to that is the styling. What you call a "mess" I (and apparently many consumers) see is quite cohesive.

sorry EB, cant agree there, first and formost, it is a vehicles styling that creates the interest and floor traffic...and judging by how well Ford is doing I think the results speak for themselves....could the styling be improved?...most likely, but refreshes are constant....Im curious as to how the focus will be adressed.....more along the lines of the Electric, much like the Fiesta?....