Volkswagen labor leader threatens to block Chattanooga investment

Len_A

If I don't keep my skillset up to date to remain competitive in the job market, I have no one to blame but myself if I get replaced by another person or a robot.

You are speaking in absolutes. Nowhere did I say that everything that possibly can be automated always should be, simply that it is often a viable alternative.

The horse is dead. Autopsy reveals severe beating by multiple assailants who are still on the loose.

They're going to get rid of cashiers whether I stand in line waiting for the one available or not. It's about labor cost to them, not convenience for me. I'd just as soon leave 20 minutes faster.

Do you go inside the bank and wait for a teller when you want to withdraw $100 from your checking account also? I'll use the ATM outside, thanks.

That unfortunately is the truth. The town I live in has two grocery stores both by the same company and both places run long lines as they have 3 cashiers out of 10 registers.

That unfortunately is the truth. The town I live in has two grocery stores both by the same company and both places run long lines as they have 3 cashiers out of 10 registers.

I will say the two major chain stores I use (Giant and Safeway) are both very good about staffing the checkout lanes, even at 2 AM. They have self-checkout, and they are usually being used, but they keep plenty of lanes open or else the front of the store would just get overwhelmed with cart traffic.

My job was sitting at a computer.

He's just stuck in the standard old conservative myopia that a majority seem to have. It's impossible for him to understand Ford motor other than through his assembly plant eyes, as you can tell by his comments that all midnight shifts start at 12. i guess it's only partially his fault as that's all he knows.

My job was sitting at a computer.

did you use it or just "sit at it"?...I used one too the last few years before I retired, but it was for data entry, not post on BOF........besides I don't think I was referring to you in my post...I was referring to LH playing on the computer when he's supposed to be working

Of course they do it on purpose. But the self-checkout for a few items does work incredibly well in this case, so why would I rather stand in line for 20 minutes just to deal with a live person?

The last time I drove through New Jersey, and frankly, I didn't really care for the "help".

There are many instances where eliminating workers performing tasks is actually a good thing.

I like self checkout, but at the same time it can be incredably fustrating dealing with those machines when something does go wrong with scanning in your items.

As a former (and future NJ resident) and current MD resident...would you rather stand outside pumping your own gas when 10 degress out or if its downpouring out or having someone else do it for you and at a cheaper rate? Gas is much cheaper in Jersey vs MD, even with the extra help...

I like self checkout, but at the same time it can be incredably fustrating dealing with those machines when something does go wrong with scanning in your items.

As a former (and future NJ resident) and current MD resident...would you rather stand outside pumping your own gas when 10 degress out or if its downpouring out or having someone else do it for you and at a cheaper rate? Gas is much cheaper in Jersey vs MD, even with the extra help...

I hate having to pull up and wait for an "attendant" when I'm in NJ. All of the self-serve stations here are covered and if it's cold you just get back in the car and wait while it's pumping. Self serve stations are more frequent

And gas prices vary due to local/state taxes.

Maryland taxes are 48.9 cents per gallon. NJ is 32.9 cents per gallon.

I hate having to pull up and wait for an "attendant" when I'm in NJ. All of the self-serve stations here are covered and if it's cold you just get back in the car and wait while it's pumping. Self serve stations are more frequent

And gas prices vary due to local/state taxes.

Maryland taxes are 48.9 cents per gallon. NJ is 32.9 cents per gallon.

Beware of static electric discharge causing fire hazards of re-entering the car. Videos are available of this happening. Cold dry air amplifies this risk.

And don't worry. The "attendant" is an endangered species that even the most tree-hugging naturist would stand by and watch it's demise.

Beware of static electric discharge causing fire hazards of re-entering the car. Videos are available of this happening. Cold dry air amplifies this risk.

And don't worry. The "attendant" is an endangered species that even the most tree-hugging naturist would stand by and watch it's demise.

Wouldn't just touching the car while fueling present the same risk of static spark?

Wouldn't just touching the car while fueling present the same risk of static spark?

Once the nozzle is in contact, the charge should be grounded to a neutral state. It's the build-up from sliding in and out of the vehicle then touching the grounded nozzle handle in the presence of venting gasoline vapors that presents the risk of flash fire.

Electrician?

Not "Muleright".

Couldn't be Toolie.

Tinner, Fitter?

Oiler?

How about you tell me what your job is at Ford and what shift you work and then i'll tell ya. Last time i offered up info on this board, Nap took my trying to help a guy understand backup pay and thought ad hominem attacks were the thing to do.

How about you tell me what your job is at Ford and what shift you work and then i'll tell ya. Last time i offered up info on this board, Nap took my trying to help a guy understand backup pay and thought ad hominem attacks were the thing to do.

My job is the one I accepted when they called me.

Whatever I can do to their satisfaction and under the guidelines they have established and according to the UAW/Ford national Agreement, as amended.

Because, I remember what I was willing to do to come to work here and what I had to do BEFORE I came here.

To me, I'm still on 89 days. And grateful.

(Don't let that confuse you when I complain that I see what is wrong that is going on. But, if I were on the outside of the fence, I wouldn't have known about it. Life inside the fence beats life outside.

They let you leave at any time. The tricky part is getting them to let you in.....and not kick you out.)

Edited by FiredMotorCompany