Feds investigating GM's handling of ignition switch recall

JasonM

Can the Fed's impartially investigate a company they owned, ran, championed, and regulated?

How did NHTSA's own TREAD Act early warning tracking system miss this over so many years?

Did the Fed's ever have discussions with GM about this issue?

Will the Fed's be as tough on a company they owned, ran, championed and regulated as they were on Toyota's unintended acceleration issue?

Should the Fed's also investigate the Fed's handling of this issue?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140226/AUTO0103/302260102/Feds-investigating-GM-s-handling-ignition-switch-recall

So I just got THIS http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/business/gm-air-bag-failures-linked-to-303-deaths.html?emc=edit_na_20140313&nlid=63243131&_r=0 in my inbox. If this is reasonably accurate, this is pretty shocking, IMO. I mean, in a way, it doesn't mean what it "says" because we don't know how many people would've died in the crashes with working air bags. But good Lord, this is awful. And the NHTSA doesn't look great here, either.

Well it seems as if this thing is building momentum like a snowball rolling downhill. If the current headline stories involving Putin and the disappearing plane fade in the media then I've got to think GM will be even more in a world of hurt media wise. Especially as Barra's testimony day approaches. Could easily cost GM a billion $$ in the next couple of years and could go multi-billion over the next 5 years depending on the Federal fine & lawsuit settlements

Automotive News now has a whole section on its website devoted to this GM mess

- Rough Road Ahead for GM as Congress plots Safety Probe

- Investor Sues GM over "immoral" delay in fixing Ignitions

- Feds Target Saturn Ion power-steering problems

- GM;s Barra to testify before US House committee on April 1 on recall

- The GM Recall

- DOTs Foxx seeks probe into NHTSA's handling of GM defect

- GM prepares dealers for onslaught of recall work

So GM at some point in time quietly redesigned the flawed ignition switch and to keep the cloak of secrecy intact, GM did not assign the improved part a new part number. Thus any flawed parts still sitting in parts inventory can not be identified. Talk about going "all in" on the cover up.

Thus, the stage was set for what GM had to do today.

They literally had no other choice once the public had knowledge of the above fact. You could have started with a car with a good ignition switch but then got a replacement using the flawed design. What a cluster.

And to top it off, news leaked of this GM directive to its dealers

CHEVY ISSUES STOP SALE ORDER FOR TURBO CHARGED CRUZE

Could be a small issue but its more bad PR.

Okay. Wow. They didn't assign a new part number?

This is not going to end well. I'm normally a Hanlon's Razor guy, but this reeks of coverup, which in turn, reeks of criminal negligence.

There is no defense for this, it is what it is.

GM took this part in house and changed it without changing the part number - a gross violation of procedure

and something that prevented its own investigation team form detecting the problem much earlier.

The investigators and lawyers are going to love this....the buzzards will be munching on GM's carcass for years.

If keeping the same part number for revised parts was common procedure then I'll cut them some slack there. If not then I agree it smells of an intentional coverup. I thought I had heard of this being done by other mfrs in the past.

I don't believe GM thought this was a dangerous condition that could lead to deaths so from that standpoint I'm leaning towards gross negligence - they should have known the potential impact.

If they knew the death risk and covered it up with the same part numbers then they're in deep shit.

If keeping the same part number for revised parts was common procedure then I'll cut them some slack there.

That's not how Ford does it. Most part numbers have two letters after it. -AA is the original. -AB is first revision, -AC is second, etc. Not saying all parts are like that, but the ones I have dealt with on a daily basis were.

That's not how Ford does it. Most part numbers have two letters after it. -AA is the original. -AB is first revision, -AC is second, etc. Not saying all parts are like that, but the ones I have dealt with on a daily basis were.

That's what I thought. Shame on them.

This has the potential to be among the most troubling for "new" GM...

The committee members also asserted today in a letter to GM CEO Mary Barra that the redesigned switch still didn’t meet GM’s minimum specifications, citing testing done at the time by the supplier, Delphi Automotive. That would mean the switches originally installed in 2008-11 model year vehicles are defective, contradicting GM’s statements that only switches produced before the 2006 redesign were faulty and potentially linking the defect to as many as 14 more fatalities, the letter said.

GM recalled the 2008-11 cars on Friday, but said that was done only to ensure that defective ignition switches were not installed as replacement parts during repair work. GM said then that about 5,000 defective switches had been used for repairs in those vehicles but that it would replace the switches in all 824,000 of them “out of an abundance of caution” because determining which ones contained a defective switch “isn’t practical.”

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f12/delphi-tells-investigators-gm-knew-ignition-switches-didnt-meet-specifications-159161/index2.html

This is going to get a whole lot uglier before it gets any better.

…side note. I wonder if GM currently has the symptoms in that horrible advertisement in the right column of Foxnews.

GM would gladly undergo those symptoms in place of its current predicament/nightmare.

Edited by grbeck

Ugh. I am so sick of that ad.

And I am irritated, generally, with what Google is allowing people to run....

You have all these "Download Now" links that install tons of spyware/adware/scareware on computers, and you have these fraudulent 'you may have a parasite!!!!!' ads---"Don't Be Evil----but take money from people that are" seems to be the Google mantra.

I don't even know how many people I've seen Google "Adobe Reader" and then click the first link that turns up, only to call me up some time later....."my computer is running really slow, and it says I've got like 152 registry errors."

I'd like to start a campaign to have people repeatedly click those ads in order to kill their marketing budgets, etc.