MAP Layoffs?

motion1

Meanwhile, Lousiville is working nonstop with massive mandatory overtime. So much for the flexible manufacturing system at MAP that was supposed to be able to build five distinct vehichles and help plants like LAP out :kuko:

I hope you don't really think that MAP could start running escapes down your line tomorrow!

Do you realize that not every part on an escape and a focus are the same, which means you would need more floor space for stock, jobs would change, etc, its not as simple as you think!

In time it could be done but not over night. Just because ford uses the word flexible, you still gotta have the room and the resources to build another vehicles!

Not to mention suppliers can not keep up with the escape parts now so if more volume was added it would create more problems.

You gotta look at the big picture!

Meanwhile, Lousiville is working nonstop with massive mandatory overtime. So much for the flexible manufacturing system at MAP that was supposed to be able to build five distinct vehichles and help plants like LAP out :kuko:

Massive Overtime??

I think that is an overstatement!

It's not like LAP is working super Saturdays or super Sundays every week!

Not to mention a lot of the overtime here recently has been due to part shortages and breakdowns, the daily number don't get met so they work overtime to make up loss production.

littlecountry, on 18 Mar 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:littlecountry, on 18 Mar 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

I hope you don't really think that MAP could start running escapes down your line tomorrow!

Do you realize that not every part on an escape and a focus are the same, which means you would need more floor space for stock, jobs would change, etc, its not as simple as you think!

In time it could be done but not over night. Just because ford uses the word flexible, you still gotta have the room and the resources to build another vehicles!

Not to mention suppliers can not keep up with the escape parts now so if more volume was added it would create more problems.

You gotta look at the big picture!

I realize that it would take some time to build other vehichles at MAP ( I was not necessarily only thinking of the Escape). However, the layoff cycle has been on the rise at MAP for the past six months and it should be an indication to management that other products need to be added there. They have most of the old Wayne Assembly Plant to expand into if need be.

Edited by Footballfan

There's a huge difference in picking up long term overflow and retooling because this particular product is slow right now. I realize it's hard to be laid off and that looking at other plants working s tough, but we spell our own doom when we start circling our union brothers & sisters like vultures. If you need new product then it is incumbent on management there along with the union to push for future product, not suggest cutting others to get yours.

• Like 3

There's a huge difference in picking up long term overflow and retooling because this particular product is slow right now. I realize it's hard to be laid off and that looking at other plants working s tough, but we spell our own doom when we start circling our union brothers & sisters like vultures. If you need new product then it is incumbent on management there along with the union to push for future product, not suggest cutting others to get yours.

Sorry if that was the way it came accross- that was not meant to be. I was not suggesting that LAP's or any other plant's product be cut. However, if there is a scenario where demand has a hard time keeping up with demand, then it is incumbant upon management to meet it. The F-150 has multiple plants, and back in the day there were two Taurus/Sable plants, two Focus plants, etc. I personally think MAP should built the Transit Connect and that cool Transit Connect Minvan instead of importing them.

Sorry if that was the way it came accross- that was not meant to be. I was not suggesting that LAP's or any other plant's product be cut. However, if there is a scenario where demand has a hard time keeping up with demand, then it is incumbant upon management to meet it. The F-150 has multiple plants, and back in the day there were two Taurus/Sable plants, two Focus plants, etc. I personally think MAP should built the Transit Connect and that cool Transit Connect Minvan instead of importing them.

KCAP is getting that. They are/have been retooling the SUV/escape side there for it.

With all due respect Fbf, I wouldn't call our o/t "massive." We have worked, I think, a Saturday and a couple Sundays so far this year. We'll see what the C489 launch brings...

With all due respect Fbf, I wouldn't call our o/t "massive." We have worked, I think, a Saturday and a couple Sundays so far this year. We'll see what the C489 launch brings...

Wait.....what? C489 launch? Isn't that the Mkc?