What Is The Purpose Of Having Dash Panel Tachometers On Automatics

That would be true if this were mainland China. :poke:

Been meaning to ask you what you think of John McWhorter and Cecilia Millward. My old linguistics prof. is a big fan. Recommended I read Magnificent Bastard Tongue, as well as Biography of the English Language.

On a somewhat related topic, I'm occasionally tempted to mount a layman's defense of AAVE simply because I consider its habitual be form to be a nice expansion of the English language. Lacking a 'habitual' tense, we speakers of the 'standard' dialect are stuck with clumsy workarounds like, "I've always liked chocolate (really? Ever since you were born? When did this start? If it did start, how can you say 'always'?)."

But it's also possible I'm inclined to defend AAVE because I, too, enjoy a good argument from time to time.

Edited by RichardJensen

Been meaning to ask you what you think of John McWhorter and Cecilia Millward. My old linguistics prof. is a big fan. Recommended I read Magnificent Bastard Tongue, as well as Biography of the English Language.

On a somewhat related topic, I'm occasionally tempted to mount a layman's defense of AAVE simply because I consider its habitual be form to be a nice expansion of the English language. Lacking a 'habitual' tense, we speakers of the 'standard' dialect are stuck with clumsy workarounds like, "I've always liked chocolate (really? Ever since you were born? When did this start? If it did start, how can you say 'always'?)."

But it's also possible I'm inclined to defend AAVE because I, too, enjoy a good argument from time to time.

I've actually not read either of them, seeing as how the majority of my linguistics research has been in the Romance languages, particularly Spanish and Portuguese. If I get a break from my dissertation, I'll take a look.

And an AAVE discussion, huh? It's 'cause I'm Black, isn't it? :stirpot:

I've actually not read either of them, seeing as how the majority of my linguistics research has been in the Romance languages, particularly Spanish and Portuguese. If I get a break from my dissertation, I'll take a look.

And an AAVE discussion, huh? It's 'cause I'm Black, isn't it? :stirpot:

Actually, I had no idea until you made some remark a while back. My Ling. prof did some graduate work on AAVE at Indiana, I think, and was positively contemptuous of both those who tried to turn it into another language and those who consider it to be 'bad' English. The common sense of his viewpoint informed my opinion on the subject. He's a confirmed descriptivist, as (IMO) anyone with an ounce of reason should be---lest we start criticizing ourselves for speaking a thoroughly atrocious version of Old English. Or West Germanic. Or Ur-Germanic. Or PIE.

One little tidbit tossed into the Millward book, as an aside, is that French and Spanish did not develop from the same dialect of Latin. I did not know this.

Edited by RichardJensen

The answer is obvious. Ford engines run so smooth a check of the tachometer is necessary so the driver doesn't try to start an engine that's already idling!

How's my fanboy impersonation?

LOL, that reminded me of my mother. Back in 1969, we bought a fully loaded 2-door LTD Brougham (officially, an LTD with the Brougham option. Didn't become a separate model until 1970) with a 429. It was so quiet when started, compared to her previous car, a 65 Mustang, that she would try to restart it. Dark metallic green with a white top, deluxe wheel covers, power disk brakes, four speaker AM/FM stereo radio, power windows and door locks, split bench seats, even rear window defogger and intermittent wipers. Wish it would have had T-Lock. Prone to one-wheel burn outs. As I recall, no tach was available, even with models with the 4-speed manual.

Actually, I had no idea until you made some remark a while back. My Ling. prof did some graduate work on AAVE at Indiana, I think, and was positively contemptuous of both those who tried to turn it into another language and those who consider it to be 'bad' English. The common sense of his viewpoint informed my opinion on the subject. He's a confirmed descriptivist, as (IMO) anyone with an ounce of reason should be---lest we start criticizing ourselves for speaking a thoroughly atrocious version of Old English. Or West Germanic. Or Ur-Germanic. Or PIE.

I'll admit, I used to think it was "bad" English. Then I got into an argument with someone who treated it as its own language. That was an interesting exchange.

My stance now -- and I find it reasonable -- is that it's a fairly stable yet stigmatized variant of American English. Much like Caribbean Spanish.

One little tidbit tossed into the Millward book, as an aside, is that French and Spanish did not develop from the same dialect of Latin. I did not know this.

This is true, and largely due to external influence (or lack thereof). Spanish actually had very little outside influence on the language structure itself (though the lexicon came from everywhere), whereas French shows considerable influence from Germanic and Celtic languages. As a bonus, Romanian is considerably Slavic-influenced.

I'll admit, I used to think it was "bad" English. Then I got into an argument with someone who treated it as its own language. That was an interesting exchange.

My stance now -- and I find it reasonable -- is that it's a fairly stable yet stigmatized variant of American English. Much like Caribbean Spanish.

This is true, and largely due to external influence (or lack thereof). Spanish actually had very little outside influence on the language structure itself (though the lexicon came from everywhere), whereas French shows considerable influence from Germanic and Celtic languages. As a bonus, Romanian is considerably Slavic-influenced.

Caribbean Spanish---we've talked about that before. As I recall, you had some fascinating insights into 'th', and how that sound may never have left the Iberian peninsula.

Re: Romanian--McWhorter uses the Slavic influence on Romanian as an illustration of a sprachbund in one of his books--Power of Babel, I believe

Caribbean Spanish---we've talked about that before. As I recall, you had some fascinating insights into 'th', and how that sound may never have left the Iberian peninsula.

Re: Romanian--McWhorter uses the Slavic influence on Romanian as an illustration of a sprachbund in one of his books--Power of Babel, I believe

I recently had a thought... Equatoguinean Spanish MAY contain that sound in its repertoire, but I'll need to ask a friend of mine about that one. I can't confirm or deny it with my own research.

Wait--you're Black? I thought you were a yellow lab like me...

Nope. I was born melanistic.

I recently had a thought... Equatoguinean Spanish MAY contain that sound in its repertoire, but I'll need to ask a friend of mine about that one. I can't confirm or deny it with my own research.

My seat-of-the-pants recollection is that I may have heard /th/, as in /kæthi/ for 'kathy', something halfway between a stop and a fricative. I don't think I heard Kathy pronounced as a homonym of 'catty'.

Edited by RichardJensen

Well Richard I used to be able to post links and pictures etc but apparently not any more. cant even copy and paste a link.

Anyway if you're interested do a search for 1970-71 Ford Torino tachometer. They had a horizontal speedometer and in a small rectangle horizontal tachometer below the left side of the speedometer. I grew up with cars of this era and it was a rare option. Ford also sold an over the counter accessory dealer installed hood mounted tachometer but they were not factory.

Well Richard I used to be able to post links and pictures etc but apparently not any more. cant even copy and paste a link.

Anyway if you're interested do a search for 1970-71 Ford Torino tachometer. They had a horizontal speedometer and in a small rectangle horizontal tachometer below the left side of the speedometer. I grew up with cars of this era and it was a rare option. Ford also sold an over the counter accessory dealer installed hood mounted tachometer but they were not factory.

Go to bottom of page....

http://www.tachman.com/ford.htm

What browser are you using, and what happens when you try to post a link?