What Is The Purpose Of Having Dash Panel Tachometers On Automatics

1) When avoiding traffic I find GPS to be even more useful. Just pull off the road you're on and let the GPS tell you another way to go as you drive.

2) No one uses maps anymore either. ;)

1) That's a non-starter if you're not actively navigating. Unless you really want to go through the trouble of actually deciding to put in an address so that you can then find an alternate route... but then, if you have to resort to using navigation to find your own house, that's a problem.

2) You'd be surprised. (Also, when I say "maps," I'm not just talking about on paper. Google, Bing, and Yahoo count too. But not Mapquest. Ew.)

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

1) That's a non-starter if you're not actively navigating. Unless you really want to go through the trouble of actually deciding to put in an address so that you can then find an alternate route... but then, if you have to resort to using navigation to find your own house, that's a problem.

2) You'd be surprised. (Also, when I say "maps," I'm not just talking about on paper. Google, Bing, and Yahoo count too. But not Mapquest. Ew.)

Not sure what you mean by the first one. If you have a destination already entered in your GPS, if you go off-route (say to avoid traffic), it'll just find you another way to get to the same destination. When else would you be looking at a map or using GPS unless you're going somewhere unfamiliar? If you're driving home, shouldn't you already be familiar with all of the alternate routes to get there anyway?

The second one, Google maps has a navigation function in it. So it's basically maps combined with GPS. And well, isn't all GPS really a "map" too? After all, I can open the GPS screen in my car and just scroll around looking at roads if I feel like it.

Not sure what you mean by the first one. If you have a destination already entered in your GPS, if you go off-route (say to avoid traffic), it'll just find you another way to get to the same destination. When else would you be looking at a map or using GPS unless you're going somewhere unfamiliar? If you're driving home, shouldn't you already be familiar with all of the alternate routes to get there anyway?

The second one, Google maps has a navigation function in it. So it's basically maps combined with GPS. And well, isn't all GPS really a "map" too? After all, I can open the GPS screen in my car and just scroll around looking at roads if I feel like it.

And if you don't have a destination entered....?

And yeah, I'M familiar with all the alternate routes to get to my home... now. One, because of experience, and two, because of studying too many maps. ;) There have been too many times where I would drive from Baltimore to Newport News, have my main route blocked, have my alternate route blocked, and have to find an alternate alternate route. Map was faster than my GPS, and I didn't have to (1) enter my destination or (2) deal with hearing "Recalculating route... make the next legal U-turn." :banghead:

The second one, yeah, and I do scroll around on that quite a bit. More frequently on my computer than on my phone though.

Let me restate my position... I don't hate GPS at all. I'm planning to replace the factory unit in my SUV with a much newer one, as a matter of fact. I just think people should know how to find their own way in case the GPS decides to send them down bunny trails (which my phone frequently does). GPS map, paper map, whichever.

And if you don't have a destination entered....?

And yeah, I'M familiar with all the alternate routes to get to my home... now. One, because of experience, and two, because of studying too many maps. ;) There have been too many times where I would drive from Baltimore to Newport News, have my main route blocked, have my alternate route blocked, and have to find an alternate alternate route. Map was faster than my GPS, and I didn't have to (1) enter my destination or (2) deal with hearing "Recalculating route... make the next legal U-turn." :banghead:

The second one, yeah, and I do scroll around on that quite a bit. More frequently on my computer than on my phone though.

Let me restate my position... I don't hate GPS at all. I'm planning to replace the factory unit in my SUV with a much newer one, as a matter of fact. I just think people should know how to find their own way in case the GPS decides to send them down bunny trails (which my phone frequently does). GPS map, paper map, whichever.

If you're going somewhere you're unfamiliar with, why wouldn't you have a destination entered? I can't really see how it's more difficult or slower to enter a destination (especially since many systems let you do it via voice control now) than it is to study maps beforehand on the off chance you might need to go around something along the way. I mean, you do do it beforehand right? You're not holding the map across the steering wheel trying to find a way around something on the fly, right?

If I'm on a longer road trip, even if it's back to home or to somewhere else relatively familiar, I'll enter it in the GPS anyway just to be able to track the time-until-destination more accurately. (Although I always put in the street address of one of my neighbors so mine doesn't show up in my Recent Places ;) )

And in my experiences, paper maps have almost always been more outdated and inaccurate than online or GPS maps. Heck, I think I still have a 1998 Maryland highway map in the glovebox of my Mustang. I-97, which I drive every day to work, didn't even exist then. :hysterical:

Edited by NickF1011

What's the purpose of a Tachometer?

Because some of us actually drive on roads that require it -

When pulling my camper around the Mountain West I use the tach more than the speedometer. For example I know my 4.0 SOHC V6 makes max torque at about 3500 rpm., so when crossing the Continental Divide with the big load I just keep the tach around 3500 RPM either shifting manually or with pressure on the gas pedal - I don't care too much about how fast (or slow) I am going, I just stay out of the left lane. The fact that I can select 1-4 and OD off manually and make the most of the RPM was one of the reasons I got the Explorer (of that era) vs an Edge or something else. It's all about the tachometer when pulling a load in the mountains.

Of course, if you have never driven across Colorado, Utah, Wyoming or New Mexico you would have no idea what it is like to climb these hills.

• Like 1

If you're going somewhere you're unfamiliar with, why wouldn't you have a destination entered? I can't really see how it's more difficult or slower to enter a destination (especially since many systems let you do it via voice control now) than it is to study maps beforehand on the off chance you might need to go around something along the way. I mean, you do do it beforehand right? You're not holding the map across the steering wheel trying to find a way around something on the fly, right?

If I'm on a longer road trip, even if it's back to home or to somewhere else relatively familiar, I'll enter it in the GPS anyway just to be able to track the time-until-destination more accurately. (Although I always put in the street address of one of my neighbors so mine doesn't show up in my Recent Places ;) )

If it's somewhere new, sure I'll put it in. If it's somewhere even somewhat familiar, I prefer to be prepared ahead of time. And I track the position of the sun to know how long I have. :poke:

Even before we had GPS or VZ Navigator, I tried to get my wife to help me on the road with finding alternate routes for when we got stuck in Northern Virginia heading down to the 757 (which was VERY often). That never went too well, so I ended up pulling over and reading the map myself.

And in my experiences, paper maps have almost always been more outdated and inaccurate than online or GPS maps. Heck, I think I still have a 1998 Maryland highway map in the glovebox of my Mustang. I-97, which I drive every day to work, didn't even exist then. :hysterical:

Funny thing... the place we live now has been in existence for nearly 40 years. And no GPS I've used has ever accurately placed it. :shrug: Nothing can replace eyes and a brain.

(Good ol' I-97. I remember it well. Speaking of, why do they still call it 3 Business through Glen Burnie? Why don't they just call it 3?)

(Good ol' I-97. I remember it well. Speaking of, why do they still call it 3 Business through Glen Burnie? Why don't they just call it 3?)

Ha! Good question. Never really thought about that.

BWAHAHAHAHA!! You guys are hilarious!

Tach's for/against

Auto's for/against

gps for/against

You guys will argue about ANYTHING!

Ok, I like McDonald's, LOVE big mack's. Hate Wendy's, only like the onion rings at A&W, BK is ok.......

And........GO! LOL!

I like Wendy's fries. And I'll always pick up a "Free Junior Frostie" keychain for $1 at the beginning of the year, because who doesn't want free Frosties all year?

If I go to McD's it's almost always a double quarter pounder meal.

Overall though, don't really eat a lot of fast food anymore.

Like BK burgers, not so much their fries anymore.

Quarter Pounders (or a double if I'm really that hungry) from McD's.

I don't get anything from Wendy's except for the Frosty.

Never really ate at A&W.

On the morning side, Hardee's has the best fast food breakfast and it's not even close.

Now, here's the kicker (and to try to get back on topic... sorta)... tach on the right or tach on the left? :hysterical:

If you need a tach to drive a stick, maybe you should be driving an auto.

I don't "need" a tach to drive a stick, or any other gauges for that matter.

Just listing what you like is not an argument, Wendy's is best and if you eat any other fast food you are a moron. That will start an argument, LOL!

As for GPS I am a huge user, awesome for those of us who are directionaly challenged.

• Like 1

Tach on the left unless it's hoseclamped to the column, then it's in the centre of course and clocked so the shift point is straight up. (and when your cruising around you put the redline at 7800 or some other rediculously high number to be "cool")

gps sucks because it always takes you the long way around. I look at the directions and go "WTF??? I don't think so!!!"

Bigmack's, rotten ronnies fries too but A&W onion rings rock, all else is crap and if you like wendy's, your gay...in the bad way...but not in the politically correct bad way....I mean...

Blackhorse, oh yeah? (that'll tell him)

The absolute best fries are from 5 Guys. The Cajun ones are the best! Their burgers are pretty dam good too!

Unfortunately, the nearest location is 60 miles away, so I don't get there very often.

I have to say it's a tie between McDonalds and 5 guys although they're totally different. And it's not even close on burgers - best burger anywhere hands down no contest.

It's tough for me to get there too. Sometimes I have to drive almost a mile to get to the nearest one and wait in line for at least 2 minutes. That's why I don't go more than twice a week. :) :) :)

Their hot dogs are good too - split and grilled. But not as good as the burgers.

• Like 1

I have to say it's a tie between McDonalds and 5 guys although they're totally different. And it's not even close on burgers - best burger anywhere hands down no contest.

It's tough for me to get there too. Sometimes I have to drive almost a mile to get to the nearest one and wait in line for at least 2 minutes. That's why I don't go more than twice a week. :) :) :)

Their hot dogs are good too - split and grilled. But not as good as the burgers.

You poor thing...that far! If it was a mile, I'd walk so I could burn off at least a few of the calories! :)

And I will say, McD's fries are good if they are HOT and crispy! But not near as good as 5 Guys. I prefer some jalapenos on my 5 Guys burgers. Mmmmmm,...all this burger talk on a Friday during Lent is making me hungry. It's fish for supper tonight. :sad:

I don't "need" a tach to drive a stick, or any other gauges for that matter.

So you shot down you're own argument on needing a tach with auto.

No one "needs" guages.

But we "choose" to have them for a myriad of reasons. All of which are correct due to the transaction proce involved. If I want a tach for my $40k, then I will have a damned tach. Same with GPS, power windows et al.

The absolute best fries are from 5 Guys. The Cajun ones are the best! Their burgers are pretty dam good too!

I like the Cajun fries at 5 Guys, and the burgers are pretty good for fast food. I haven't voluntarily eaten at McD's in 20 years (too many actual good fast food restaurants), so I can't comment on that. I think I've eaten at Wendy's four or five times in the last 20 years, and don't really care about Frosties, as we have good real dairy stores locally (which also make some of the best fast food burgers, too).

Of course, nobody makes truly great fries these days, as they're all cooked in vegetable oil. That's why they all suck when they get cold.

And I want my tach on the left, whether it means a damned thing or not. Except on the tractor, where it goes front and center.

HA!!! I thought it WAS the off topic's forum, hence my smartass answer Blackhorse! LOL!

OK, since this is the Ford discussion forum I take it all back...but I do like mcd's....just sayin'

Everybody knows that when it comes to fast food burgers Hardees is the best dumb ass. lol jk.

Tach on the left unless it's hoseclamped to the column, then it's in the centre of course and clocked so the shift point is straight up. (and when your cruising around you put the redline at 7800 or some other rediculously high number to be "cool")

gps sucks because it always takes you the long way around. I look at the directions and go "WTF??? I don't think so!!!"

Bigmack's, rotten ronnies fries too but A&W onion rings rock, all else is crap and if you like wendy's, your gay...in the bad way...but not in the politically correct bad way....I mean...

Blackhorse, oh yeah? (that'll tell him)

gps can send you on some weird directions but the vast majority of the time it is good. Especially when you can't find your way out of a paper beg.

Wendy is a girl so that doesn't make you gay, that would be Ronald and the King (that guy is creepy)

So you shot down you're own argument on needing a tach with auto.

No one "needs" guages.

But we "choose" to have them for a myriad of reasons. All of which are correct due to the transaction proce involved. If I want a tach for my $40k, then I will have a damned tach. Same with GPS, power windows et al.

Not sure what you are talking about, I made no argument about needing / not needing a tach with an auto. I didn't ask the question, just gave a reason why it was there in response. I have no problem with it being there, so I am unclear on your point.

Awesome movie! RIP John Candy