Lincoln Teases (Likely) MKX Concept to debut in China

<SIGH>

Nick - this isn't about leaks. It's about published dates and info from Ford for dealers and the factory about when the order banks open, when production starts, etc. etc. That's typically communicated a few months ahead of time internally to dealers.

And we should have seen a pre-production prototype by now, not a hand built fake concept car.

Not saying it's impossible, but at this point it's highly unlikely we'll see a 2015 Edge before the end of this year.

Ummm. I just posted photos of pre-production prototypes. What the heck do you think those are?

And even now, the Job 1 date for the Mustang is not in stone (I think it just changed again last week). Why do you expect we should have all of this for the Edge already too?

Edited by NickF1011

Weird...wonder why Ford put 'Car And Driver' on the windshield of the front 3 Edges in that photo? :)

Just so everyone knows that it's a car and it has a driver - in case some weren't sure. ;)

They have decals depending on which magazine the spy photographer is going to sell the pictures to.

Those are watermarks put in the picture by Car and Driver lol

Ummm. I just posted photos of pre-production prototypes. What the heck do you think those are?

And even now, the Job 1 date for the Mustang is not in stone (I think it just changed again last week). Why do you expect we should have all of this for the Edge already too?

Those are hand built fake concept cars :stirpot:

• Like 2

Heck, those Car & Driver spy shots are from last October. Development on this thing has been going on for quite some time. I think some have just forgotten about it.

With other critical vehicles for Ford like the new F-150 and Mustang debuting, it's easy to see why the Edge would get put on the back-burner as far as coverage/speculation goes.

Heck, some of us were wondering when the MKX concept would be shown, with only a Navigator refresh at Chicago, and no Lincoln debuts scheduled for New York, and speculating we may not see it until next year.......yet surprise! there it was in Beijing.

Undisguised pre-production models, not test mules. The ones that are complete with interiors and drivetrains and are 95% production ready. Like the MKC that we saw late last year and is just now going into production.

I'm just saying that it's odd and not normal that we haven't seen anything at all at this point in the year for a launch later this year. It could still happen but I'm skeptical.

Undisguised pre-production models, not test mules. The ones that are complete with interiors and drivetrains and are 95% production ready. Like the MKC that we saw late last year and is just now going into production.

I'm just saying that it's odd and not normal that we haven't seen anything at all at this point in the year for a launch later this year. It could still happen but I'm skeptical.

How do you figure it's a "mule" just because it has camouflage on it? Those Edge prototype have all the new sheet metal on it. And there are no interior shots. That doesn't mean they didn't have interiors. Easy to tell by the front and rear bumper covers that it's the new one and you can tell it's using a new roof as well based on the location of the antenna mast.

Those are far from "mules".

You could be correct - I'm not saying Nick and I are right, but a further point is that remember Ford as of late hasn't always been waiting for a big auto show to debut a vehicle, so it's feasible they could sneak out a production Edge somewhere.

Also, who said they were slated to be 2015 models?

Heck, those Car & Driver spy shots are from last October. Development on this thing has been going on for quite some time. I think some have just forgotten about it.

Really? You mean they didn't start last month?

Nobody forgot about it.

Look at this post from Joey (ice-capades) about dates for the 2015 mustang - posted in January (8 months ahead of the expected job 1 date):

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55698-20142015-mustang-production-schedule/?p=890159

We also saw the 2015 mustang pre production vehicle in December - 9 months before job 1.

Unless they're launching it in December that only leaves 6-7 months before job 1.

Impossible? No. Unusual? Yes.

How do you figure it's a "mule" just because it has camouflage on it? Those Edge prototype have all the new sheet metal on it. And there are no interior shots. That doesn't mean they didn't have interiors. Easy to tell by the front and rear bumper covers that it's the new one and you can tell it's using a new roof as well based on the location of the antenna mast.

Those are far from "mules".

For the love of Pete......

I'm talking about an undisguised production version of the vehicle in question - 95% production ready and undisquised. Just like the MKC and Mustang we saw late last year.

You do realize the 2015 Edge concept shown earlier is a hand built prototype that doesn't have a single piece of production sheet metal on it? In addition to no interior or drivetrain.

Nobody forgot about it.

Look at this post from Joey (ice-capades) about dates for the 2015 mustang - posted in January (8 months ahead of the expected job 1 date):

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55698-20142015-mustang-production-schedule/?p=890159

We also saw the 2015 mustang pre production vehicle in December - 9 months before job 1.

Unless they're launching it in December that only leaves 6-7 months before job 1.

Again, just because it has camouflage on it doesn't mean it's not a pre-production vehicle. Heck, there were still Mustangs running around with some camo on them, even after the official reveal. Camouflage has nothing to do with it!!

And has anyone really pried anyone about Job 1 dates for the Edge?

There's a lot more interest in the Mustang, therefore there's a lot more information.

What would strike me as unusual would be pre-production prototypes running around for more than an entire year before being unveiled (which it would be if the Edge isn't launched sometime this year).

I don't see what the concept has to do with any of this either.

Edited by NickF1011

Nobody forgot about it.

The MKC concept was shown in January of 2013, with the production model shown in November of 2013, so 11 months later, and will go on sale sometime here soon in the summer (let's say May) as a 2015 model.

If Edge sticks to the MKC timetable, the Edge Concept was shown in November of 2013. Presumably, that'd make the Edge production model be shown around September, with an on-sale date of around March of 2015 or so, which would have it being a 2016 model? Or would it still be a 2015? I don't know if/when there's a cutoff for the model year number.

Again, just because it has camouflage on it doesn't mean it's not a pre-production vehicle. Heck, there were still Mustangs running around with some camo on them, even after the official reveal. Camouflage has nothing to do with it!!

And has anyone really pried anyone about Job 1 dates for the Edge?

There's a lot more interest in the Mustang, therefore there's a lot more information.

What would strike me as unusual would be pre-production prototypes running around for more than an entire year before being unveiled (which it would be if the Edge isn't launched sometime this year).

You're totally completely missing the point. Why haven't we seen the undisguised production model yet? They showed us the mustang in December 2013 9 months before the scheduled job 1 date.

The 2013 Fusion debuted in January 2012 - a full 9 months before the planned job 1 date.

You're totally completely missing the point. Why haven't we seen the undisguised production model yet? They showed us the mustang in December 2013 9 months before the scheduled job 1 date.

The 2013 Fusion debuted in January 2012 - a full 9 months before the planned job 1 date.

Why haven't we seen an undisguised production model yet? Because Ford doesn't feel like it. Is there some law saying they have to reveal it to everyone 9 months before it goes into production?

The MKC concept was shown in January of 2013, with the production model shown in November of 2013, so 11 months later, and will go on sale sometime here soon in the summer (let's say May) as a 2015 model.

If Edge sticks to the MKC timetable, the Edge Concept was shown in November of 2013. Presumably, that'd make the Edge production model be shown around September, with an on-sale date of around March of 2015 or so, which would have it being a 2016 model? Or would it still be a 2015? I don't know if/when there's a cutoff for the model year number.

That's what I'm saying - given the lack of information I think the new Edge won't debut until Spring of 2015 as a 2016 model. That's all I'm trying to say. If it was going to debut as a 2015 model before the end of 2014 we should have at least seen published dates by now.

Why haven't we seen an undisguised production model yet? Because Ford doesn't feel like it. Is there some law saying they have to reveal it to everyone 9 months before it goes into production?

You're right. I'm just being silly. They'll probably debut the production version next week and job 1 will be the week after. It's not like they need advance notice to switch over to a brand new platform in a factory or let dealers plan their orders or anything like that. Silly me.

You're right. I'm just being silly. They'll probably debut the production version next week and job 1 will be the week after. It's not like they need advance notice to switch over to a brand new platform in a factory or let dealers plan their orders or anything like that. Silly me.

They need lead time, but not 9 public months of it. Just because we haven't heard the information doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm sure the planning teams at OAP are already aware of the general changeover schedule by this point. If it hasn't been shared with the public that doesn't mean it's still entirely unknown. Dealer orders at this point would still be wholly unaffected if it's on-sale date is late in the year.

That's what I'm saying - given the lack of information I think the new Edge won't debut until Spring of 2015 as a 2016 model. That's all I'm trying to say. If it was going to debut as a 2015 model before the end of 2014 we should have at least seen published dates by now.

It's certainly possible. I'm curious who made the assertion that they'd be 2015 models to begin with? Was that just an assumption?

Again, if the dates at the link I posted are correct, there was just 5 months between the production MKC's debut and Job 1 date, so it certainly appears the timeline varies.

Again, if the dates at the link I posted are correct, there was just 5 months between the production MKC's debut and Job 1 date, so it certainly appears the timeline varies.

Impossible! It can only launch at the very least 9 months after the unveil. I suppose that new Camry that Toyota just unveiled won't be on sale until next year either, huh?

Impossible! It can only launch at the very least 9 months after the unveil. I suppose that new Camry that Toyota just unveiled won't be on sale until next year either, huh?

The USOB (unscheduled order bank) date for the MKC was published in September 2013 ( http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54761-2015-lincoln-mkc/?p=872853 ). That's 7 months before Job 1.

And Ford isn't Toyota. They never announce things early.

Edited by akirby

The USOB (unscheduled order bank) date for the MKC was published in September 2013 ( http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54761-2015-lincoln-mkc/?p=872853 ). That's 7 months before Job 1.

And Ford isn't Toyota. They never announce things early.

So if they unveil it in June and that accompanies the order banks opening, they'd still have a similar lead time to the MKC. And there's no rule saying it has to match that anyway. It's just premature to say it's too late to make it out this year at this point.