Lincoln Teases (Likely) MKX Concept to debut in China

Where did I say it was too late? I said it was much later than normal making it less likely, not impossible.

"Normal" has varied widely in the past. It will vary widely in the future. For perspective, it was only October (two months prior to unveiling) when we got our first glimpses of any fully uncamo'ed Mustang parts, and those were leaked by insiders -- something less likely to occur with something less valuable to the media like the Edge. Publishers would likely sell their own mothers for a Mustang spy shot scoop. The Edge? Not so much.

Edited by NickF1011

"Normal" has varied widely in the past. It will vary widely in the future. For perspective, it was only October (two months prior to unveiling) when we got our first glimpses of any fully uncamo'ed Mustang parts, and those were leaked by insiders -- something less likely to occur with something less valuable to the media like the Edge. Publishers would likely sell their own mothers for a Mustang spy shot scoop. The Edge? Not so much.

Who said anything about leaks? I'm still talking about published information (order bank schedules, plant (job 1) schedules, order guides, pre production vehicle reveals.

I'd give it a 20% chance of showing up by the end of the year (job 1) and that goes down 10% every month.

For the love of Pete......

I'm talking about an undisguised production version of the vehicle in question - 95% production ready and undisquised. Just like the MKC and Mustang we saw late last year.

You do realize the 2015 Edge concept shown earlier is a hand built prototype that doesn't have a single piece of production sheet metal on it? In addition to no interior or drivetrain.

The edge prototype does have an interior with at least functional lighting. There were lots of interior pics from last year's LA show. The first image of the new edge was first released in January or February of 2013. It could be released this year or next.

I saw that too but it doesn't have a date on it. I wonder when it was published? Joey (ice-capades) gets the weekly updates. I'll ping him and see what the latest one says.

Yeah, I was looking for a date on it too but didn't see anything.

Don't be silly - water doesn't leave marks like that on the windshield.

It's "special" water haha.

Who said anything about leaks? I'm still talking about published information (order bank schedules, plant (job 1) schedules, order guides, pre production vehicle reveals.

I'd give it a 20% chance of showing up by the end of the year (job 1) and that goes down 10% every month.

As was mentioned by rmc, there are other unpublished Job 1 dates for vehicles we already know for certain are arriving later this year as well. Far as I know there are no order guides or Job 1 date published for the 2015 F-150 yet either, and that's certainly due out before the end of the year.

The edge prototype does have an interior with at least functional lighting. There were lots of interior pics from last year's LA show. The first image of the new edge was first released in January or February of 2013. It could be released this year or next.

Correct. The MKX concept is the one without an interior (or drivetrain?).

As was mentioned by rmc, there are other unpublished Job 1 dates for vehicles we already know for certain are arriving later this year as well. Far as I know there are no order guides or Job 1 date published for the 2015 F-150 yet either, and that's certainly due out before the end of the year.

I didn't even notice that - yeah, the F-150 just had "late May" listed as final 2014 model year orders, and nothing (not even TBD) for bank open nor Job 1 dates.

My mistake. I was thinking of the MKX concept. The Edge concept did have an interior but it was all hand built and not production pieces.

Back in 2009, a deal was done with the CAW regarding approval of new product on CD4.2 for Oakville,

that's coming up to five years, allow 12 months before start + 4 years development, we're on schedule for Q3 or Q4......maybe.....

Edited by jpd80

Talking to my friend this past weekend he said he thinks the codes for the MKX also are showing it as a 2016MY but wasn't sure, (he works at a supplier) Maybe there won't be a 2015 MKX?

Also when I was coming home from the gym tonight I saw what looked like 3 new fully cameo S-Max's. Haven't actually seen the MKX/Edge mules in a while. Maybe they are goign to Launch Edge first build it for 4/5months then launch the MKX, moving it away from they are the same car. Edge launches as a 2015 and MKX as a 2016. Then launch the S-Max or Galaxy in the US as a 2016 as the next Flex?

Talking to my friend this past weekend he said he thinks the codes for the MKX also are showing it as a 2016MY but wasn't sure, (he works at a supplier) Maybe there won't be a 2015 MKX?

Also when I was coming home from the gym tonight I saw what looked like 3 new fully cameo S-Max's. Haven't actually seen the MKX/Edge mules in a while. Maybe they are goign to Launch Edge first build it for 4/5months then launch the MKX, moving it away from they are the same car. Edge launches as a 2015 and MKX as a 2016. Then launch the S-Max or Galaxy in the US as a 2016 as the next Flex?

it's certainly possible they do it that way - could be a way to focus on a high-quality rollout with fewer issues than recent launches.

As for S-Max/Galaxy - it wouldn't surprise me to see Galaxy here as a Flex replacement/Explorer alternative, BUT, I think they'd just stick with the Galaxy name - it's not like the Flex ever caught on to be much of a "known" nameplate, and for global lineup purposes, it'd just be easier. Vehicles like Fusion/Mondeo and Escape/Kuga stayed that way because the nameplates were well known in their various markets, so it didn't make sense to consolidate names. I don't see it being the same in this situation.

Joey just confirmed that no dates have been published for the 2015 Edge yet. That tells me they were planning to launch the new version later this year but ran into issues so now they're deciding whether they can still get it out as a 2015 model or if they'll have to continue the current model for a few months as a 2015. I still think it will slip to spring.

Not sure the separation is so much planned as it is just a result of different timing. MKX gets a lot more new features and options to line up with the rest of the Lincoln lineup. Although with Edge seemingly delayed they may end up debuting together.

Joey just confirmed that no dates have been published for the 2015 Edge yet. That tells me they were planning to launch the new version later this year but ran into issues so now they're deciding whether they can still get it out as a 2015 model or if they'll have to continue the current model for a few months as a 2015. I still think it will slip to spring.

So by that logic, the 2015 F-150 won't launch until next year either.

So by that logic, the 2015 F-150 won't launch until next year either.

From the press release:

On sale late this year

When it goes on sale late this year, the all-new Ford F-150 will continue the tradition

And we've seen the actual production version of the vehicle.

From the press release:

On sale late this year

When it goes on sale late this year, the all-new Ford F-150 will continue the tradition

And we've seen the actual production version of the vehicle.

Ford has had on-sale dates slip before (Mustang has already slipped by several months). With the lack of any order guides or production dates, how can we be sure it's still on track? :runaway:

The non-existence of evidence isn't evidence of non-existence.