Lincoln Teases (Likely) MKX Concept to debut in China

Ford has had on-sale dates slip before (Mustang has already slipped by several months). With the lack of any order guides or production dates, how can we be sure it's still on track? :runaway:

The non-existence of evidence isn't evidence of non-existence.

grasping-at-straws2.jpg

Not grasping at anything. The Edge is the Edge. The F-150 is the F-150. The Mustang is the Mustang. Which two of those three vehicles is Ford going to be aggressively announcing availability dates and which two of those three is the media going to actually show much interest in? Did we know months and months beforehand when the Focus refresh was going to be unveiled? No. How about the new Transit Connect? No. We heard rumors a few weeks beforehand and then there it was. I wouldn't really expect much more fanfare about the Edge either. It could just show up sometime this summer for all we know at this point. You know when we'll know when the Edge goes on sale? When Ford tells us. It could be this winter. It could be next spring. It could be discontinued for all we know.

Edited by NickF1011

It could just show up sometime this summer for all we know at this point.

It doesn't work that way Nick. Dealers need advanced notice to place orders. The factory needs advanced notice on the job 1 date. You don't do that last minute without at least telling the dealers.

It doesn't work that way Nick. Dealers need advanced notice to place orders. The factory needs advanced notice on the job 1 date. You don't do that last minute without at least telling the dealers.

"Last minute" from this summer could be 6-7 months. That's more than enough lead time for all of that to take place. And frankly, just because WE don't know, doesn't mean Ford and its plant managers don't. Is Ford supposed to publicly announce everything they plan to do over the next year just so arguments on message boards can be settled?

Back to F-150 again: production dates haven't been determined, final order date for 2014's hasn't been determined other than "late May", Job 1 hasn't been determined. That's all still up in the air at this point. HOW DO DEALERS POSSIBLY PREPARE??!?! :runaway: And that's the F-150, a far more complicated launch than Edge.

Edited by NickF1011

As for S-Max/Galaxy - it wouldn't surprise me to see Galaxy here as a Flex replacement/Explorer alternative, BUT, I think they'd just stick with the Galaxy name - it's not like the Flex ever caught on to be much of a "known" nameplate, and for global lineup purposes, it'd just be easier. Vehicles like Fusion/Mondeo and Escape/Kuga stayed that way because the nameplates were well known in their various markets, so it didn't make sense to consolidate names. I don't see it being the same in this situation.

Styling wise the Galaxy is all-minivan, which seems a signifcant styling and design direction change for the Flex. Additionally unless the Galaxy gets bigger it is going to be pretty small compared to other minvans... Galaxy wheelbase/length/width=112/190/74 compared to Caravan wheelbase/length/width=121/202/77... The Galaxy would have to grow a foot longer and 3 inches wider to be comparible to NA minivans and the Flex (which is similar in size). That would add costs to the Galaxy which under the top hat is near identical to the S-Max. Perhaps the market increase by adding NA and the rest of the world balances the additional costs. But Ford still has a decision on if to go all-minivan (Galaxy) or anti-minvan (Flex) in the styling and design direction... Because I don't see a common top hat that can do both effectively. If Ford decides to keep the stylign and design directions divergent than the current split designs seems best (Galaxy as a bloated S-Max and the Flex as a over styled Explorer derivative).

Why do some think that the S-Max or Galaxy is planned for North America?

Well, I know at least the S-Max has been seen testing here somewhat frequently. But beyond that, I would say it's speculation. Either it or the Galaxy could work in our market, but I don't think either is right around the corner.

Well, I know at least the S-Max has been seen testing here somewhat frequently. But beyond that, I would say it's speculation. Either it or the Galaxy could work in our market, but I don't think either is right around the corner.

Ford publicly said, and also promised CAW, that a global vehicle would come to OAP. It was widely thought/speculated that S-Max/Galaxy would be the one(s). But it's more and more looks like Edge going global was the plan all along, but you never know. And, plan changes.

Ford publicly said, and also promised CAW, that a global vehicle would come to OAP. It was widely thought/speculated that S-Max/Galaxy would be the one(s). But it's more and more looks like Edge going global was the plan all along, but you never know. And, plan changes.

Was about to say, Edge is pretty much going global already. But even then, who knows. I don't think OAP will be full just running Edge and MKX, even if they are producing for export out of North America.

My post was just speculation on my part. Ford may choose to simply not replace the Flex at all. Or an alternative could be to indirectly replace it with a product like the Galaxy, given it's already offered in the rest of the world. Again, just speculation.

Pretty sure that Oakville will be building more than just Edge and MKX, the way Ford has been talking makes it sound like a flex plant..

Just a hunch but maybe the D3 Flex and MKT give way to to new LWB CD4 products that fill those roles even better.

seeing that Edge is currently exported from Oakville to China, adding MKX and MKT to exports would be logical.

Styling wise the Galaxy is all-minivan, which seems a signifcant styling and design direction change for the Flex. Additionally unless the Galaxy gets bigger it is going to be pretty small compared to other minvans... Galaxy wheelbase/length/width=112/190/74 compared to Caravan wheelbase/length/width=121/202/77... The Galaxy would have to grow a foot longer and 3 inches wider to be comparible to NA minivans and the Flex (which is similar in size). That would add costs to the Galaxy which under the top hat is near identical to the S-Max. Perhaps the market increase by adding NA and the rest of the world balances the additional costs. But Ford still has a decision on if to go all-minivan (Galaxy) or anti-minvan (Flex) in the styling and design direction... Because I don't see a common top hat that can do both effectively. If Ford decides to keep the stylign and design directions divergent than the current split designs seems best (Galaxy as a bloated S-Max and the Flex as a over styled Explorer derivative).

All logical and well thought out but consider how S-Max was used as a basis for Edge and MKX, now apply that to making LWB versions for Flex/MKT.

Don't forget that the ground work for CD4+ has already been done for Chinese Taurus Sedan, a LWB Utility/MPV would be the next progression.

It may be easier to do a switcheroo with Chicago, build the next MKT as a variation of D3 Explorer and transfer MKS production to Oakvlle and CD4.

That leaves Flex replacement - would Ford go with LWB variant of euro Galaxy or use CD4 Taurus as a basis... interesting times..

I don't know tha--aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

How did you know there's a difference between swallows?

Well you have to know these things when you're a king....

Edited by jpd80

I feel like we are watching a Monty Python skit.

True, but I'm not sure if it's pinin' for the fjords, or if it's the Fish Slapping Dance.

I tried to post a link to the YouTube video, but BON just strips it right out--doesn't even leave the URL...

Edited by SoonerLS

With all the talk of China it seems appropriate to be talking about "interesting times"... Which actually isn't a Chinese proverb, but actually was taken from a British foreign service letter back home from 1936 (no doubt interesting times).

"I know a dead parrot when I see one"... "Ahh no its resting"

Edited by Kris Kolman