Aluminum bodies on the F-150's positive or negative

The one I saw at the show yesterday had some very noticeable vertical ripples in the sheet metal. It was obviously a pre-production vehicle so I'll withhold saying it's going to be an issue. But I was surprised to see it on a vehicle they were displaying to the press and public.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Real-world fleet testing

In addition to the Baja event and testing in the laboratory and at the track, F-150 engineers put a small fleet of the new beds into service with some of Ford’s most demanding customers. Six F-150 trucks with high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy cargo boxes were placed with a mining company, an energy utility and a construction firm to monitor performance.

The customers were told to drive and treat the trucks as they normally would in their daily working routines, but they were not told what parts of the trucks may have been different. After two years and more than 300,000 miles of abuse, teardowns and inspections resulted in new engineering tests and design changes to ensure the production box would be ready to handle customers’ demands.

• 2 weeks later...

All you need to do is just follow the scrap price of aluminum...my opinion on the Aluminum bodies on the F-150 right now is "NO OPINION"

Need to see realistic results and a true driving test on all types of roads, (rural and city) as well as climates before I pass judgement on it.

Plus, we don't know what the sticker prices are on these trucks are going to be to begin with! If it's in excess of $40,000 just for a cheap model F-150, I'd rather buy a F-250 or F-350 instead.

Plus, we don't know what the sticker prices are on these trucks are going to be to begin with! If it's in excess of $40,000 just for a cheap model F-150, I'd rather buy a F-250 or F-350 instead.

Yep, Ford is going to price their trucks $15k above the other brands just because it's made of Al. You heard it here first, folks!

• Like 1

Yep, Ford is going to price their trucks $15k above the other brands just because it's made of Al. You heard it here first, folks!

that's right about the time they reintroduce the Panthers and Ranger.

• Like 1