Garage Floor Epoxy Paint

Keep tohe political crap out of these non politcal threads.

Thanks for deleting my post, as well...?

I didn't realize you could edit a post made by another user.....I thought you could just delete their post.

It leaves open the question of the validity of a post belonging to the poster. At least it shows who made the change...but not what was changed....?

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

LOL.

Welcome to the even hand of.......well not so much. At least someone got what they have been begging and crying for, the chance to make this "his" section.

Un-called for, and I agree with akirby. Keep the politics in the political threads only..

• Like 1

We'll just have to disagree as I feel he cried and whined unnecessarily about the political discourse in our threads and now wants to enforce his views on us. Yay for him.

For the record - I never asked to be a moderator. This has nothing to do with MY views - it has to do with simple forum etiquette and allowing others to enjoy the forum without being subjected to political diatribe.

You guys can't even let one simple thread on garage floor paint go without crapping all over it and that's a problem.

• Like 3

Thanks for deleting my post, as well...?

I didn't realize you could edit a post made by another user.....I thought you could just delete their post.

It leaves open the question of the validity of a post belonging to the poster. At least it shows who made the change...but not what was changed....?

Any post that is edited leaves a note saying who edited it. Nothing to see here.

Paint

Paint

Paint

off topic

Paint

off topic talking about off topic

Paint

off topic

off topic

off topic

It's bad enough when someone goes on a tangent, but it is kept there by talking about the tangent.

So, ultimately, they got what they wanted which was take a neutral topic and throw a left wing barb in there to get a reaction....and now the thread is officially derailed...

Let's try to put it back on topic by only talking paint and ignore the off topic comments.

I haven't painted my floor and don't plan on it for aforementioned reasons....

I have a storage building in my back yard and painted the floor with epoxy. The concrete slab was there for about 16 years before a building was erected on it. I tried to do a good job on the prep and the result turned out pretty good. I didn't get the epoxy on as evenly as I should have, so you can see slight variations in the color. I'll probably do the garage floor in the near future and pay a little more attention to both the prep and the final coat.

Edited by CurtisH

I have a storage building in my back yard and painted the floor with epoxy. The concrete slab was there for about 16 years before a building was erected on it. I tried to do a good job on the prep and the result turned out pretty good. I didn't get the epoxy on as evenly as I should have, so you can see slight variations in the color. I'll probably do the garage floor in the near future and pay a little more attention to both the prep and the final coat.

I noticed one result of possibly poor preparation is over time the paint chips and peels away from the salt the car drops in the winter. However, not sure if the newer epoxy kits offered remedy that. It looks terrible once it fades and chips away.

I don't know the details, but considering the consequences of an epoxy application that fails, I think I like the effect Chipotle does. The have a polished concrete floor. Possibly sealer. But I think that would be durable and easy to maintain....and maybe cheaper.

I will check it out. Thanks.

Porcelain or ceramic to me would be broke too quickly, I'd think something more cushioning or durable. It looks awesome in a pro shop as they wheel their spotless aluminum parts carts etc around, but in a personal garage? I'm thinking the first time the chain slipped and a tailstock hit the floor or something heavy fell off a bench, smash! At work we use sealed concrete and when something tears it up (one of the young guys was using a torch the other day and overheated the floor he was cutting on and it popped a 2"X3" 1"deep hole, CE will be in to fix it later but poo happens) Oh, CE=Construction Engineers.

Parking garages I think it would be fine, roll your mint mustang in and place the lights to shine on it etc, great...working garage..meh not convinced.

Porcelain or ceramic to me would be broke too quickly, I'd think something more cushioning or durable. It looks awesome in a pro shop as they wheel their spotless aluminum parts carts etc around, but in a personal garage? I'm thinking the first time the chain slipped and a tailstock hit the floor or something heavy fell off a bench, smash! At work we use sealed concrete and when something tears it up (one of the young guys was using a torch the other day and overheated the floor he was cutting on and it popped a 2"X3" 1"deep hole, CE will be in to fix it later but poo happens) Oh, CE=Construction Engineers.

Parking garages I think it would be fine, roll your mint mustang in and place the lights to shine on it etc, great...working garage..meh not convinced.

Eh, as long as the tile is laid properly it should be able to stand up to considerable abuse.

Another option I've seen in garages that seems pretty durable, affordable, and easy to install is textured vinyl tile.

Vinyl cuts/rips when you drop a head on it...now this was in the kitchen mind you, but tripped over the dog and the 460 head put a 2-3" divot in the floor. Another time we got a new pedistle table to replace the four legged one, set a 302 head on it and the damn thing flipped, just caught the head in time. Now I got to work in the basement when it's too cold outside to fire up the stove, wait an hour etc,etc.

Best I've seen to take abuse is either hardwood planks or concrete with a sealer.

One other problem I've seen with vinyl now that I think of it, was tearing/shearing when in a car trailer. Buddy cut the wheels back and forth and tore up the new vinyl tiles he just put down the week before.

For a parking garage I've seen some type of epoxy that was like rino bedliner. Really thick and rough textured, no idea what it was called.

Vinyl cuts/rips when you drop a head on it...now this was in the kitchen mind you, but tripped over the dog and the 460 head put a 2-3" divot in the floor. Another time we got a new pedistle table to replace the four legged one, set a 302 head on it and the damn thing flipped, just caught the head in time. Now I got to work in the basement when it's too cold outside to fire up the stove, wait an hour etc,etc.

Best I've seen to take abuse is either hardwood planks or concrete with a sealer.

One other problem I've seen with vinyl now that I think of it, was tearing/shearing when in a car trailer. Buddy cut the wheels back and forth and tore up the new vinyl tiles he just put down the week before.

For a parking garage I've seen some type of epoxy that was like rino bedliner. Really thick and rough textured, no idea what it was called.

One thing about vinyl though that is more easily accomplished than with other flooring systems is repair. If you tear a tile, you can take up that one tile and replace it. I wouldn't recommend anything besides a bare concrete slab though for garages that will routinely see engine blocks being dropped on it. :hysterical: