2001 to 2005 Taurus rear wheel well rust

I've noticed Accords of that era are often starting to look pretty bad too.

GM J-cars from the early 2000s are rusting in the rocker panels, while 2004 Malibus are already showing rust in the area between the rear wheel opening and the rear door.

The worst vehicles for rust have to be the Mazdas from the mid-2000s. I saw mid-2000s Mazda 3s with serious rust about 2-3 years ago!

Edited by grbeck

The worst vehicles for rust have to be the Mazdas from the mid-2000s. I saw mid-2000s Mazda 3s with serious rust about 2-3 years ago!

Based on the rate that the clearcoat was starting to peel on my '04 Mazda6 when I got rid of it I'm not surprised one bit.

If people knew how to spray wash the insides of the wheel wells and rocker panels properly on their cars, and paint over any surface rust to stop any corrosion or bondo, fiberglass it up. This wouldn't be a big issue. It's not just the Taurus, My Town Cars under the doors (inside rocker panel) are starting to rust out, frames are still solid though and that's all I'm concerned about. And of course on the front wheel wells here and there but that's the Panther design overall on the front fenders. Preservation is key. But unfortunately since we live in a disposable society. What do you expect?

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

If people knew how to spray wash the insides of the wheel wells and rocker panels properly on their cars, and paint over any surface rust to stop any corrosion or bondo, fiberglass it up. This wouldn't be a big issue. It's not just the Taurus, My Town Cars under the doors (inside rocker panel) are starting to rust out, frames are still solid though and that's all I'm concerned about. And of course on the front wheel wells here and there but that's the Panther design overall on the front fenders. Preservation is key. But unfortunately since we live in a disposable society. What do you expect?

Eh, I'd say it's fair for consumers not to expect their vehicles to rot out in the first decade of ownership. Cars should be built better than that these days. That particular models of cars show weak spots in the same areas that other similarly aged vehicles do not demonstrates that there is a flaw in those vehicles' designs. Yes, meticulous maintenance could likely prevent it, but they should also be engineered to survive what they will actually experience, not what they theoretically should experience.

Using plastic molding on the rocker panels just for design and looks doesn't cut the mustard. All that does is make the car look good to the average consumer, and the average consumer will just dispose of it anyway. You should see some of these late model vehicles that have so much caked on mud on the body and the underbody... It's a joke. I sure as hell wouldn't even consider buying one of these vehicles on the used market, let alone having a newer car look like that to begin with! Some of these people ought to be ashamed of themselves. You would think that they can spring a few extra bucks once a week or twice a week to keep their financed "investment" clean.

Using plastic molding on the rocker panels just for design and looks doesn't cut the mustard. All that does is make the car look good to the average consumer, and the average consumer will just dispose of it anyway. You should see some of these late model vehicles that have so much caked on mud on the body and the underbody... It's a joke. I sure as hell wouldn't even consider buying one of these vehicles on the used market, let alone having a newer car look like that to begin with! Some of these people ought to be ashamed of themselves. You would think that they can spring a few extra bucks once a week or twice a week to keep their financed "investment" clean.

Yes, people take horrible care of their cars for the most part. However, even most horribly maintained cars these days aren't rotting to the ground after 10 years. Those that widely do I would consider to have engineering weaknesses.

Even the last of the square style Panthers of the late 80's thru 1991, some of them can be total rustbuckets, but they still keep going though and that's a testament to their legacy I guess. I just think that a lot of these 1990's and 2000 era cars really are starting to look like crap all over the place regardless of what automaker. At least that's what I observe on a daily basis. Same goes for vans and trucks also.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

Even the last of the square style Panthers of the late 80's thru 1991, some of them can be total rustbuckets, but they still keep going though and that's a testament to their legacy I guess. I just think that a lot of these 1990's and 2000 era cars really are starting to look like crap all over the place regardless of what automaker. At least that's what I observe on a daily basis. Same goes for vans and trucks also.

Well, cars of the 90's are all hitting 15+ years in age. How did all those cars built in 1955 look by the time 1970 rolled around? Not. So. Good.

For sure, but depends on what areas of the country though. If you lived around the salt water areas, you probably were screwed right off the bat. If you lived in the desert southwest or where it was exposed to the sun, the heat would have cooked the interior and the motor would have certainly burned itself up. Regional climates contribute to corrosion. Good motors and transmissions available in the cold weather states, but sheet metal was bad. Reverse that in the warmer climates. Whereas the sheet metal was relatively rust-free but the motors were overheated and crap.

I had an 04 and I know exactly what u mean. Rear wheel wells rusted way before the rest of the car. Maybe after only 5 years. I think there was an issue for sure. I still have an 04 mustang bought new in 03. Ten winters no rust! Yes I have snow tires drive it 365 days a year. It is a 04 Taurus problem not 04 Ford problem. See many Taurus' that era here in Wisconsin. All rusted same place.

Just about any PN96 F150 from Michigan will be missing the rocker panels. I have over 210000 miles on mine but the rockers are GONE. I met with the corrosion engineering team on a tour of the Romeo/Michigan Proving Grounds where the salt test occurs. It was an interesting presentation and display of the process. I walked away thinking 2 things;

1) the company knew that they would rust out but it doesn't care about that (perhaps becasue it is no a safety issue?)

2) the company had no idea that it would rust out this way because the testing being done is not representative of what happens in the real world.

I asked if they ever performed a teardown of a 10 year old PN96 so they could compare the "test" results to the real world results. I was told that it would not be statistically valid as it would only be a sample of one. However when they showed us the competitive vehicle they tested. It was only a sample of one of the brand X model for the given year. Isn't that also a sample of one?

We only had a bazillion $ recall due to rust on Windstar front AND rear suspension. A recall on DN101 for the front cradle /frame mounts that rust out back in the 1994-5 models I believe with out looking that one up. Ranger frames are like swiss chees. Broken springs due to rust happen all the time! Another mega $ recall might be in the works for another product that I won't name at this time as it has not yet been approved.

Most all of the DN101 (96-07) Tauruses around have the rear wheel-well rust. When you see it there, it's likely on the strut towers too.

My '96 has 145k on it and I'm pretty sure the strut tower rust will send it to the junkyard before any mechanical failure

Well, cars of the 90's are all hitting 15+ years in age. How did all those cars built in 1955 look by the time 1970 rolled around? Not. So. Good.

True. In the Salt/Rust Belt, hardly any 1950s cars were still on the road by 1970. Rust wasn't an issue because the car was already in the junkyard.

You might have one driven by a senior citizen who bought it with the idea that it would be his or her "last car." Those cars were generally garage queens that were driven to the grocery store and church on Sunday. Many times those people hitched rides with friends or family members during the winter, as they did not want to drive in snowy weather. So the car wasn't even driven during the winter months.