Oil Changes - When?

guszern

The hybrid manual calls for 10k maximum oil change interval. I will likely change oil about every 8k-9k as that seems to be when the oil life monitor will be getting down to showing 10% or so oil life remaining. So far I have changed oil more often because I had some free coupons from the dealer which had a time limit to use (they were time based & not mileage based). Now that the free oil change coupons are all used up/expired I will be going with longer intervals.

I just dumped my factory fill at 3K. I'll be doing them between 5k and 7k from now on. That will change depending on how the oil looks coming out.

deadman64, based on the fact that you can reset the oil life to a set amount - 100%, 90%, 80%, I'd wager it's based on mileage.

I did my first change at 7,500. The next when the light came on at 18,000. I'm doing my next one tomorrow because the light came on at 28,800. I drive 90% freeway. My wife's Fiesta is pretty consistent at tripping the light every 10,500 to 11,000 miles. She drives 90% freeway as well.

Whenever it says you need it. It has an algorithm based on how you drive. Should be between 7k - 10k or so.

I agree 100%. Oils today are light-years ahead of where they were in the bad old days of non-detergent straight 30 weight - even much better than those of just 15 years ago. They key is the quality of oil, filter, and above all, trip length. Lots short trips and city driving and that requires changes more often. Highway miles can lengthen the interval between changes greatly. Cheap oil and filters = wasted time and wasted $$$.

Edited by MountainLion

I agree 100%. Oils today are light-years ahead of where they were in the bad old days of non-detergent straight 30 weight - even much better than those of just 15 years ago. They key is the quality of oil, filter, and above all, trip length. Lots short trips and city driving and that requires changes more often. Highway miles can lengthen the interval between changes greatly. Cheap oil and filters = wasted time and wasted $$$.

I had a beat up 2000 Focus that leaked and burned about a quart a month. I stopped changing the oil at 140,000 and it's got 218,000 and still runs good. The locks don't work right because of corrosion, the trans is shifting nasty but the engine is good.

It's a drive to work and back ride. Saves milage on my newer ride.

Edited by MI451

At what mileage have people been doing first oil change #1?

I can see doing 5-7K intervals after that ... but how soon for the first?

The same as any other oil change interval. The whole concept of "break-in" for new engines isn't anything like what it used to be.