Alan Mulally's Last Day at Ford Jun. 30th

Oh man. For some reason, I had it in my head that it was end of year. I truly admire the work Alan did. Kudos to Bill for recognizing his own weaknesses and the guts to hire an "outsider" and to Alan for standing his ground for the hardest of the hard decisions. They saved the company.

• Like 4

This is the transition Ford needs, Alan Mulally's last master stroke was perfect timing on his exit strategy,

stepping back when Fields and Ford now more experienced can both step in and continue growing Ford Motor.

Where Mulally saved Ford and put it on the right course, it is now up to Fields and Bill Ford to take Ford and Lincoln

to the next level and really start making money by being confident and backing themselves in markets where Ford

can gap the competition by the clever use of class leading technology, aluminum and hybrid electrification are key.

It would be very difficult to overstate what he achieved during his tenure at Ford. Getting a large bureaucratic organization to shift direction and make so many changes is an achievement many have attempted, few have succeeded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He was worth every penny they paid him and from what I read Mark Fields has really embraced the management style Mulally brought it.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at a dealer show in 2008 when I worked with Ford on a program. We were walking down a hallway and I went up and introduced myself. He put his arm around me and we walked into a ballroom where their were hundreds of people mingling. I had a picture taken with him and the next day was in an engineering section testing out the new Edge window switches and steering wheels. He pops in and sits down next to me and starts chatting with me and calls me by my name. Blew me away but the guy had to of been an Eagle scout!

You cannot help but like him. The fact he did not blow half his team out the door versus what seems to be happening at GM and FMA is another reason why he became so successful.

Edited by kyle