Ford Motor Company July 2014 Sales Results

What i have always wondered, is why does Ford dominate in pick up truck sales, but fall in the large SUV market. The Tahoe/Suburban/ Yukon/ Yukon Xl have sold 124,000+, while the Expedition/Expedition El have sole 26,000 + for the year.

I like the look of the expedition, but could never understand that large of a gap in the full size SUV.

ideas?

Well, given how the current model still looks similar to the 2003 model (and even with the 2015 refresh), while the GM SUVs have been redesigned twice since then, that plays a factor, but I've always wondered too. I think the next-gen Expy/Navi will lift their sales back up to be more competitive (not that sales numbers alone should matter).

The suburban first went into production in 1933. Expedition didn't arrive until 1997 or so. That's a lot of it. The Expedition not having an extended length option also hurt the first generation Expy.

It'd be interesting to see sales of the Expy vs. Tahoe back in the Expy's high point in sales (I'm too lazy to try to look for them now). Ford did offer the Excursion for a bit there, though that's obvioulsy different than an extended Expedition.

I thought PAG brands were wholly owned by Ford whereas they only owned about 34% of Mazda. But I could be mistaken.

I believe that's correct.

No but DiamlerChrysler did.

Since that was a "merger," that's actually legitimate.

However...

I thought PAG brands were wholly owned by Ford whereas they only owned about 34% of Mazda. But I could be mistaken. <-- correct

... makes a Ford+Mazda sales tally illegitimate. Toyota owns 16.1% of Fuji Heavy Industries, making a Toyota+Subaru tally even less legitimate.

• Like 2

I thought PAG brands were wholly owned by Ford whereas they only owned about 34% of Mazda. But I could be mistaken.

That's correct; Ford included Mazda in their financials because they owned a controlling interest in Mazda (under Japanese law), but that didn't qualify them to be included in Ford's sales reports. If Toyota's ownership position in FHI is about half of what Ford's was in Mazda, I don't see how they could be justifiably rolled together...

There's some really great products coming from Lincoln, so it's going to be really exciting going forward. We've been in contact with Lincoln and they are excited.

For those that own a newer-generation Lincoln, we're producing the Lincoln Experience 2014 at the Ford Michigan Proving Ground on 03-04 October. We're post more details on this later here on BOF.

that is nice! Lincoln really needs more products to succeed as a luxury brand