Buick Regal to be made by Opel.....again?

twintornados

Although highly rated by some magazines, the Regal sells so poorly that I don't know why GM bothers with it. There's just not enough of a gap between the Lacrosse and Verano to justify the car.

It's not just the Verano. As poorly received as the Malibu is, it's a much better value than the Regal. Even identically equipped.

But the changes are due to a new model regardless of where it's built. It already shares the Opel platform so that's not new either.

Unless I'm misreading something.

Oh oh. You're meaning changes from an Opel to a Buick (aka it'll be a badge job).

I was talking about the car in general (Opel or Buick) being new because of the changeover. I misunderstood what you were getting at.

It's not just the Verano. As poorly received as the Malibu is, it's a much better value than the Regal. Even identically equipped.

That i agree and i like the Regal. An lt Malibu with the 260 hp turbo is a hellva bargain vs the Buick. Unless you want a manual / turbo or really like the Regal it no real point buying one over Malibu and the sales shows .

I think the Regal should run on the Malibu assembly line instead of going to Germany, probably that is what's happening and the author of the rumor wanted click bait.

Although highly rated by some magazines, the Regal sells so poorly that I don't know why GM bothers with it. There's just not enough of a gap between the Lacrosse and Verano to justify the car.

Most people who want a car like the Regal do not visit Buick showrooms. Most people who visit Buick showrooms do not want a car like the Regal.

The Regal epitomizes GM's approach to its various divisions: "We have this vehicle, so let's sell it somewhere."

The corporate approach should be: "This model really fills a need within the lineup of Brand X, and fits in well with that brand's overall image."

• Like 1

That would be an idea, but I think even GM knows better than to retool a plant to add a low-margin vehicle that only sells 15k per year.

Plus, I think the plant that builds the Insignia in Europe has the capacity. There's no way they're full.

Well the plant that currently makes it builds a rwd coupe (Camaro) an old W body (fleet Impala) and one other platform mate (XTS ). I don't think it won't make sense to make the Regal in the Malibu factory.

I should suggest the next Regal should be priced closer to the Malibu while keeping the unique Regal features.

Edited by Fgts

Well the plant that currently makes it builds a rwd coupe (Camaro) an old W body (fleet Impala) and one other platform mate (XTS ). I don't think it won't make sense to make the Regal in the Malibu factory.

They build Malibu in Hamtramck (alongside the new Impala and four versions of the Volt) and Fairfax in Kansas City (alongside the LaCrosse). They probably could add another shift and move Malibu to Fairfax, but would the investment be worth it for a car that averages 1500 a month at best? Mind you, they just dropped a bundle on the Fairfax plant last year.

I should suggest the next Regal should be priced closer to the Malibu while keeping the unique Regal features.

Thereby making Buick more Mercury-like and redundant. Like it was before. :)

Edited by papilgee4evaeva