Ford Tones Done Tech in F150

Here are more improvements to the 2015 Ford F-150

■Finger grooves on the tailgate release

■A box side step on the side of the truck made specifically for wide work boots

■A keyless entry pad with hard buttons instead of a touch pad

■A two-piece sliding rear window with an open/close button near the rearview mirror

The pickup, which will hit dealer lots later this year, is bucking the trend of elaborate touchscreens for a very specific reason: Truck customers don’t want that technology.

Most F-150 owners will use the truck for work, and often can’t swipe up or down on a screen with dirty hands or while wearing gloves.

“It’s not that they’re rejecting technology,” said Cary Diehl, Ford’s human factors engineer, who helped design the interior of the truck. “It’s about getting to something quickly.

The truck really is a tool for multiple uses. For our truck customers, it’s all about efficiency.”

Well done Ford, know your customers and what they want.

Edited by jpd80

Actually had some time to spend in a 2015 today at the Woodward Cruise, overall its a great job, the tailgate step is much improved and they listened to issues all around fixing alot of the small design issues I have. 2 Things I don't like are the Taillights, and the interior door panel material are still cheap.

The also had a 2015 Edge there that you couldn't sit in but could still open the door and look around, that was a total disappointment. It's a good package but not great by any means, it's like the engineers were scared to push to do anything with it. I'm Concerned they pulled a GM card and made it okay to make room for a Lincoln above it. The Fusion was such a great car it was hard for the MKZ, make the Edge a little less and give the MKX some room.

Maybe your expectations for the Edge are too high? What was so disappointing about it?

Just didn't wow me, materials seemed very 2011 Explorer, with some hard pieces tossed here and there (it was preproduction but looked pretty final) the center stack switch gear looked cheap, almost was like they said people want buttons, so just toss a push switch where a touch sensor was before. The Dash is old school twin 4.2" display -- the F150 had the new 8" in dash. It just seemed old already...

I will say the Exterior is much better than the pictures, it has much more presence then the current one.

Edited by jasonj80

I'm just wondering how long before we just go into just simply having one screen for instrumentation, and another for center console, like Tesla and be done with it. Ford had a good idea, it was just implemented with a laggy slow system that can't catch up, but it's not any different than a smartphone for which has a hard time keeping up with my quick strokes. Oh well, in due time...

• Like 1

The Dash is old school twin 4.2" display -- the F150 had the new 8" in dash. It just seemed old already...

:redcard: You do know that this would be a model without myford touch?!

I do not know of any manufacturer that is offering 8" touchscreens in base models standard... Do you know otherwise? :stirpot:

They came out in 2010, this is 5 years later, the market is going to 8" or 10" in dash now. The F-150 is an example.

Dude - those are IN ADDITION TO the central MFT display just like all the other Fords. Not instead of unless you get the base model.

cd539_feature_1480x700_wired_sync.jpg

Dude - those are IN ADDITION TO the central MFT display just like all the other Fords. Not instead of unless you get the base model.

I am aware (I did look inside it)- the IC is the same is that is in the current Edge Vs the new F-150. The twin 4.2" screens are getting old. The model was a loaded Sport they had on display. The center stack has the regular 8" screen.

2015-ford-f-150-instrument-cluster.jpg

Edited by jasonj80

I do kind of agree. The one large screen in the new f-150 between the speedo and real tach does look nicer than the center speedo and the twin screens. With that set up you can have a small tach but it is virtual. Perhaps it is a space issue, assuming there is more space in the f-150 for the real full size tach and the larger screen. I would still prefer the real tach even if the center screen was smaller. Be interesting to see what they do in the next full redesign. Taurus is next I think. How is it in the Mustang with my Ford touch have to look.

Brain fact, of course the Mustang has a real tach and so does the Focus and their center screens are pretty small compared to f-150. They are both sportier models while the Edge maybe is more luxury so they thought the two screens were better since the tach is not as important as the info on the screens. If they put one center screen it would be smaller then the one in the f-150. I have not seen it in person so I not sure how big they could have made the center screen if they had the equal size tach to the speedo.

Edge is using the Fusion IP. Either they didn't want to update it yet for cost reasons or there isn't enough room to easily retrofit the new F150 design.

However, I don't think "old school" is a good description. It's not like an Atari vs. a PS4. Fusion and Edge IPs are still cutting edge compared to most mainstream midsized sedans and crossovers.

Edge is using the Fusion IP. Either they didn't want to update it yet for cost reasons or there isn't enough room to easily retrofit the new F150 design.

However, I don't think "old school" is a good description. It's not like an Atari vs. a PS4. Fusion and Edge IPs are still cutting edge compared to most mainstream midsized sedans and crossovers.

I did see tonight that the Euro / China Edge will be getting the Mondeo's 10" IC. That's being saved for the Lincoln here.