2015 Motor Trend SUV of the Year - Honda CR-V?

jasonj80

Okay...the hybrid version provided a plausible cover story as to why the magazine gave the award to the Fusion that year.

Bingo!

I do think they attempt to extort negotiate with the most deserving vehicle each year. That reduces the amount of crap they have to make up about the other ones.

Okay...the hybrid version provided a plausible cover story as to why the magazine gave the award to the Fusion that year. It WAS a big deal at the time, even if Ford had "bought" the award.

According to Pete D., at one point in time Petersen reps wanted you to provide a detailed marketing plan along with your test vehicle.....

According to Pete D., at one point in time Petersen reps wanted you to provide a detailed marketing plan along with your test vehicle.....

I'm inclined to not believe any magazine's awards. The fact that the Honda photo was released several weeks before the announcement is quite funny. Oops - did we do that?

I don't even buy into the announcements made at the NAIAS anymore. Maybe they should wait a year before declaring a Car/Truck/SUV/CUV of the Year to see what happens with the rollout?

I look at MT's CotY announcements from the past and quite honestly there are some that are laughable.

Like the 1983 Car of the Year... The Renault Alliance?

That was one of the more puzzling choices (the Thunderbird from that year should have won).

But a case could be made for some other infamous choices - 1960 Chevrolet Corvair, 1971 Chevrolet Vega, 1974 Ford Mustang II, 1980 GM X-cars. The GM cars did have serious flaws, and the Mustang II was ultimately underwhelming, but they were a big deal at the time.

The '91 Town Car (man, Ford was buying up the car of the year awards left-and-right back then)

The Town Car won in '90. I remember thinking "What?" when the award was announced. That "What?" became a "WTF?" when the '91 Caprice Classic was announced as the Coty.

After the '74 Mustang II was announced Ford would have to wait until '86 for their next Coty (Taurus). I also remember thinking how great it was that Ford had the Coty again. That was when people read Motor Trend.

Edited by LincolnV

• 2 weeks later...

The M-II was a big deal since the first Gas Crisis was in full panic mode. And no, Ford didn't "whip up" the car right after the Embargo started in October 1973, as some myths say. Predicted reliability was not a factor in the awards back then too.

Anyway, the '15 CRV gets a mild grille change and a CVT and voila! SUVOTY! "We think the new CVT is neat-o!" says MT this year.