2015 GT PP beats 1LE at R&T's racetrack

25. 2015 Ford Mustang GT - 56.81 sec - 127.2 mph

26. 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE - 56.83 sec - 126.2 mph

We also singled out the Mustang GT Coupe Premium. It's okay to believe the hype about this nearly perfected pony. It's not just the best American two-plus-two in history, it's a credible rival to the high-power European competition that sells for two or three times the price. On a back road, it's accessible and thrilling for every level of driver. Like last year's winner, the seventh-generation Corvette, it redefines what's possible at a relatively affordable price. Every sub-$50,000 car on the market will have to answer to the Ford from now on, no matter what badge it brings to the table.

The problem, if there is one, is that this Mustang doesn't fully exploit the potential on-track brilliance of the model's new platform. That will come next year, with the flat-crank, harder-than-hard-core GT350. We're expecting great things from that car. But for now, the Mustang remains more "road" than "track."

Edited by GT-Keith

The same could be said for the other test at Willow Springs. The fact is they're very closely matched and these test results have no bearing on sales or anything else. Daily drivability would be much more important to those who haven't already decided to buy one or the other.

This is just fodder for internet and buddy bragging rights.

On a somewhat related note, I got to drive a new GT (no performance pack) the other day. It drove very nicely. Much more composed and refined than I remember the older ones being. The interior was a lot nicer as well. That 5.0 sounds fantastic too. I took a few pictures and a short video....I'll post them when I get home and can upload them more easily.

When it comes to Camaro versus Mustang, folks buy what they like best. Performance numbers may affect some folks final decision, but generally speaking if your a Mustang person then that's what you buy. If you want a faster Mustang (or Camaro), there are plenty of aftermarket mods available to you anyway.

I happen to like both the Mustang and Camaro but in 2015 I would buy a Mustang GT over a Camaro SS (even with a 1LE option) because I think the Mustang is a better all around car. The only reason I would buy the Camaro is if it was a ZL1 or a Z/28. Now if Ford comes out with a new Shelby (or whatever they call it) high performance model, then I might buy the Mustang instead if it would go head to head with either the ZL1 or Z/28

Of course this would mean that I would have to sell my current 2000 Camaro SS which is not going to happen. :)

You have any proof of this statement?

Common sense and sales numbers.

First - most mustang and camaro buyers are diehard ford/mustang or chevy/camaro fans who would never buy the other one no matter what the performance.

Second - the majority of the other buyers don't care about performance at all and simply like the styling or the fact that it's a convertible. They're probably looking at V6 or ecoboost versions anyway.

Third - most owners would not trade everyday drivability for a few tenths of a second here or there in performance unless they're actually racing it and most of those people are doing their own mods and don't care about OEM performance to begin with.

So you're left with someone who isn't a diehard brand loyalist who cares about performance but not enough to do their own mods and who isn't swayed by every day drivability or styling. Exactly how many of those people do you think exist?