What is with Sam Elliott's Relentless Attacks at Ford

bdegrand

It seems almost every Ram commercial lately has old cowboy Sam Elliot sniping at Ford F-Series. It almost seems like a vengeful personal attack....better Ram this than Ford and better Ram that than Ford...better Ram than Ford...only Ford.

It almost seems personal since he doesn't go after the Silverado....just Ford.

I know Ford is the leader...but maybe we should get Toby Keith back and show Elliot how real cowboys take care of old cowboys with big mouths. Too extreme?

Edited by bdegrand

How is that different from Denis Leary attacking the other guys?

It's just advertising. They say what they're paid to say, period. Nothing personal.

The point was Dennis Leary doesn't call out Dodge Ram on his advertisements....but simply says "the other guys." Chevy the similar way , but Dodge seems to specifically only go after Ford using Elliott to do it. Not just the previous mention of "tree lot to tee lot".....but there are Two more recently released by him/ Dodge going only after Ford.

So you are saying if they don't mention the competition's name it's not an attack ad?

What about this memorable one? The ole "kick 'em while they are down" ad. But at least they don't mention their name, right?

I wasn’t going to buy another car that was bailed out by our government. I was going to buy from a manufacturer that’s standing on their own: win, lose, or draw. That’s what America is about is taking the chance to succeed and understanding when you fail that you gotta pick yourself up and go back to work. Ford is that company for me.”

Please show me a 2015 Ford ad with Ram in it....I am very interested.

Ford briefly ran spots with Dodge & GM products visible in the background--I think back when the EB engine was first launched, or when the '09 refresh was introduced

The main reason why Ford's truck commercials do not mention the competition is this:

bozard-ford-best-selling-truck-banner.jp

They don't have to.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

And while Sam Elliott may, personally, think poorly of the F150, the larger question is why FCA ad execs think that mentioning their competition in a mean-spirited ad is good for their business.

Being mean-spirited is desperation.

• Like 1

And while Sam Elliott may, personally, think poorly of the F150, the larger question is why FCA ad execs think that mentioning their competition in a mean-spirited ad is good for their business.

What makes me the most concerned, and this is in line with all advertising, is that there are enough ill-informed, sometimes absolutely non-sensical stupid people in the market who believe every single thing spoken on the screen no matter how far fetched the reality is.

Sorry, but I sincerely think this is entirely why some media exists.... It's not about truth.

I think that concern is misplaced. In the first place, Dodge would have to build a factory to displace Ford. Secondly, there is every indication that Ford is going to push transaction prices up on the new F150, as opposed to chasing volume if sales rates continue at present levels.

Additionally, commercials are basically top-of-mind tools, which is why mentioning your competition is silly. People hear:

RAM blah blah blah blah F150 blah blah blah blah blah RAM blah blah blah F150 blah blah blah RAM