2016 Taurus (China)

Forget my source completely.

Why would Ford do two different tophats for a CD4 based Taurus when Ford has gone to such great lengths NOT to do that on any other vehicle including all other vehicles being sold in China?

And if they're not doing different tophats then why not introduce the new Taurus as the new global Taurus instead of the Chinese Taurus?

To further clarify my point - I agree with you that it wouldn't make any sense for Ford to have two separate bodies for the Taurus (one here, one in China). But as I said above, I disagree with you that it makes sense to let ours rot on a vine for 2-3 more years when all the work for the CD4 China model has already been done. It's not as if that one doesn't exist and they'd need to cobble something together and rush a flawed product to market just for the sake of replacing ours. The replacement is ready now. That said, if they have a CD6-based model in the works that's ready to launch in 2-3 years, fine, launch it then and replace the CD4 one. This argument doesn't make much sense either though - why would they develop a CD6 Taurus to replace the one they just did in 2-3 years?

Eh, I'd argue it's more against Ford's global vehicle strategy to have two separate Taurii sold around the world than your proposition of letting ours sit around for another 2-3 years.

Well that's clearly going to happen one way or the other since we're definitely not getting the Chinese Taurus here.

It only makes sense to me if the Chinese Taurus is a stopgap just for China and Ford is going to move all D3 vehicles to CD6 over the next few years. And no that doesn't mean they'll all be RWD either.

To further clarify my point - I agree with you that it wouldn't make any sense for Ford to have two separate bodies for the Taurus (one here, one in China). But as I said above, I disagree with you that it makes sense to let ours rot on a vine for 2-3 more years when all the work for the CD4 China model has already been done. It's not as if that one doesn't exist and they'd need to cobble something together and rush a flawed product to market just for the sake of replacing ours. The replacement is ready now. That said, if they have a CD6-based model in the works that's ready to launch in 2-3 years, fine, launch it then and replace the CD4 one. This argument doesn't make much sense either though - why would they develop a CD6 Taurus to replace the one they just did in 2-3 years?

But that's been my point all along - if the CD4 Taurus is ready why not sell it here now? Why delay it and/or do a different tophat?

The only reason I can see is if you've decided to do a completely different vehicle on a different platform and that means CD6. And I would imagine that's going to be the same for all of the D3 vehicles at some point - cars and utilities.

Mondeo was going into a new facility, there were labor issues that needed to be resolved, and the EU market for that product was much smaller and much less significant than the US market.

Now, which of those reasons does not apply to the Taurus--assuming that the Taurus would be assembled in FRAP instead of CAP?

But that's been my point all along - if the CD4 Taurus is ready why not sell it here now? Why delay it and/or do a different tophat?

The only reason I can see is if you've decided to do a completely different vehicle on a different platform and that means CD6. And I would imagine that's going to be the same for all of the D3 vehicles at some point - cars and utilities.

How are they delaying it? It just debuted in China a few days ago??? Do models arrive in showrooms the day they're debuted? It's ready now as in it can be launched within the year after a US debut (minus the rear seat gadgets, and assuming the factory is ready). I doubt we'll see a different top hat.

Well, delayed as in NA production reveal in Los Angeles, seven months after the Shanghai reveal.

Ah, well that's not unheard of. Obviously you mentioned the Mondeo - Fusion has been here since 2013.

Is Mustang on sale around the world yet (genuine question)? Didn't it have a world debut (like events in multiple occasions, or am I confusing it with another vehicle?)?

What about the Fiesta back in '09 - why didn't we get it sooner? It was ready in Europe.

---

The point is, sometimes there are varying conditions that don't allow for a simultaneous launch around the world.

I still think that's the Taurus we'll get next year.

"What about the Fiesta back in '09 - why didn't we get it sooner? It was ready in Europe."

Well, was just a calender year, not a 'huge delay'. The '11 was brought out spring '10.

Anyway, maybe Ford US will just make PI Sedans soon, and don't want to spend $ ? US buyer are shunning "large" cars, saying "That's what my Grandfather drove". So who knows if there is a future for big cars here.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Looks like we'll just have to wait and see.

It doesn't surprise me that they'd launch it in China before they launch it here. But if that's the plan then it surprises me that they wouldn't at least mention that the U.S. version is coming later.

Here's some facts from the Shanghai Auto Show Taurus story in Automotive News:

"China's market for large sedans has overtaken the US, 4M vs. 3.6M"

"IHS sees annual sales of 5.3M [China] vs 3.6M [uS] by 2020"

"Large sedans are 3% of [uS] market...down from 12% in 2000"

Opinions:

Today's 'family car' is a SUV/CUV, and some minivans. And the 'traditional' older buyers are also getting same.

Go to Sun City AZ and see. Back in 90's, retirement towns were full of Grand Marqs, LeSabres, etc, now it's RAV4's and CRV's.

Most brand new large cars go to fleets, police, livery or all the above.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 2

The way I see it, if Lincoln will offer a bigger sedan above Continental, and that car and the future Taurus will be platform mates, then this all makes sense now.

Let's assume it's "CD6" based, aka the platform for CAP only. Then it makes sense not to move Taurus from CAP to FRAP (Chinese Taurus) only to move it back to CAP 3 years later (CD6 Taurus).

CD4 MKS/Continental, on the other hand will be permanently separated from Taurus. It, along with MKZ (and Chinese Taurus) will be Fusion platform mates from now on.

Now, Mark Fields had said 2 "new" Lincolns in the future, he also did not deny if there will be a Lincoln flagship car above Continental, he basically said "nothing to announce at this time". If we allow the Aviator be the replacement of MKT, then the 2 new Lincoln could be a C car and a CD6 Car.

I know it's a stretch, but not a far stretch, if you think about it.

The way I see it, if Lincoln will offer a bigger sedan above Continental, and that car and the future Taurus will be platform mates, then this all makes sense now.

Let's assume it's "CD6" based, aka the platform for CAP only. Then it makes sense not to move Taurus from CAP to FRAP (Chinese Taurus) only to move it back to CAP 3 years later (CD6 Taurus).

CD4 MKS/Continental, on the other hand will be permanently separated from Taurus. It, along with MKZ (and Chinese Taurus) will be Fusion platform mates from now on.

Now, Mark Fields had said 2 "new" Lincolns in the future, he also did not deny if there will be a Lincoln flagship car above Continental, he basically said "nothing to announce at this time". If we allow the Aviator be the replacement of MKT, then the 2 new Lincoln could be a C car and a CD6 Car.

I know it's a stretch, but not a far stretch, if you think about it.

If that's the case (which could be), I think they should've reserved the Continental name for the larger/largest flagship car.....but that's just me.

• Like 1

Where has it been said that the new CD4 Taurus needs a new Tophat for the US market? The only thing the Chinese Taurus might need is a tweeked front Fascia and rear end...which are pretty cheap to do. I don't see any issues with the hard points on the car. The shape of the grill could be better IMO and rear end is slightly boring...nothing earth shattering and there has been minor changes like this done already for other Ford products sold in Asia vs USA.

Seems like people are looking into this way too much and placing way too much credence into the CD6 being this uber platform that is all things to all people.

Remember occam's razor....

• Like 1

It's a combination of rumors and speculation that point to the US not getting the CD4 Taurus. If we don't get the CD4 Taurus then the only rational explanation is they're doing it on CD6 later.

But I'm starting to believe it's more likely they'll just tweak it and release it next year.

• Like 1

I think there are two major factors that we the public aren't privy to that will decide whether the China Taurus comes here or not.

If it does come over, what would be the plans for the PI/PU series? The PU could soldier on since Explorer is still being made. But would it make sense to keep making the PI on a same line as the PU since the Chinese Taurus would likely be made on a Fusion line. While the police models aren't "huge" sellers, Ford put a lot of work into convincing LEO's the Ford product will get the job done. I just don't see them switching platforms on a whim and try to resell the new model.

Second factor is the one already mentioned. The rumored CD6 platform. Timing will be the key here. If CD6 is still in it's infancy and not ready for prime time, they could bring over the China Taurus for a few years. Then switch to CD6. If CD6 is near, then it may not make sense to mess with the current NA Taurus. Assuming it is near, the question of timing and the PI is still a big question. Will they be switching the PI units to CD6 too and replace all D4 platforms with CD6?

Anyway, that's my take on it. As someone who is a current owner of a D3, and doesn't plan on replacing it anytime soon. It's paid for...

I think there are two major factors that we the public aren't privy to that will decide whether the China Taurus comes here or not.

If it does come over, what would be the plans for the PI/PU series? The PU could soldier on since Explorer is still being made. But would it make sense to keep making the PI on a same line as the PU since the Chinese Taurus would likely be made on a Fusion line. While the police models aren't "huge" sellers, Ford put a lot of work into convincing LEO's the Ford product will get the job done. I just don't see them switching platforms on a whim and try to resell the new model.

Second factor is the one already mentioned. The rumored CD6 platform. Timing will be the key here. If CD6 is still in it's infancy and not ready for prime time, they could bring over the China Taurus for a few years. Then switch to CD6. If CD6 is near, then it may not make sense to mess with the current NA Taurus. Assuming it is near, the question of timing and the PI is still a big question. Will they be switching the PI units to CD6 too and replace all D4 platforms with CD6?

Anyway, that's my take on it. As someone who is a current owner of a D3, and doesn't plan on replacing it anytime soon. It's paid for...

My take:

They'll continue to build the PI in Chicago using the old Taurus parts. When D4 is retired, it moves to FRAP & CD4.

CD6 is coming, but its first use will be large CUVs, sedans will come later as the Explorer is farther along in its product cycle than any of the CD4s.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2