FCA wants linkup with GM

silvrsvt

The books aren't good.

The paragraph describing FCA as fragile is apt.

Chrysler's margins in the US are not good--which is amazing given how many trucks and SUVs they sell.

There doesn't appear to be any interest whatsoever in turning Fiat into a responsibly run operation.

Thus, the interest in GM's cash pile----all that money buys time during which FCA can pretend that their gigantic issues do not exist.

You know what?

Instead of an alliance why not go full backwards merger and restrengthen GM's global presence..

GM gets more brands and plants in US and Europe, Sergio walks away with billions...

GM would be up near 30% market share in the US, what could go wrong with that....

tell me that's not a win win for the merged companies and everyone else....:)

Chrysler's margins in the US are not good--which is amazing given how many trucks and SUVs they sell.

Have you seen the cheap 0 down leases and piles if cash on the hoods of their trucks? They are buying market share like the world is ending tomorrow.

• Like 1

The books aren't good.

Thus, the interest in GM's cash pile----all that money buys time during which FCA can pretend that their gigantic issues do not exist.

Cash pile means nothing if the bigger company (GM) would just kill off/sale the other FCA brands and keep Jeep because that's exactly what will happen .

As as said if FCA U.S. isn't losing money what's with this ego trip? . Margins and red ink are 2 different things.

Edit:

Read more of it, seems like SM wants the company to go to China but don't have the capital. 2 things could happen:

1 GM can offer a platform(s),technology and maybe a factory for use in China for FCA .

2 SM sells the whole thing and get a good payoff.

IMO they can make a lot of progress in China and here with the Dart/200 platform but eventually the platform will have to get replaced and they have to pay down the European op debts.

Edited by Fgts

The books aren't good.

There doesn't appear to be any interest whatsoever in turning Fiat into a responsibly run operation.

Does GM even have a cash pile? I find it hard to believe that GM is sitting on a large amount of cash.

Cash pile means nothing if the bigger company (GM) would just kill off/sale the other FCA brands and keep Jeep because that's exactly what will happen

No, that's not what would happen.

The only merger that Sergio would agree to would be one where his people would have a veto over such actions.

And while I have criticized GM repeatedly on this forum, I don't think there's anyone at GM stupid enough to go along with this.

Make no mistake, this is 100% about using GM's cash to shield Fiat (and Fiat alone) from reality.

Sergio may talk internationally, he may have his headquarters in London, but bottom line: This is all about an Italian trying to protect an Italian auto manufacturer that has been resisting change for four decades now.

Let's not forget as well that Sergio has went ahead with the practice of raising invoice pricing on Ram, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep products without increasing the MSRPs on the window stickers accordingly, ergo effectively "pinching" his dealership network's margins, all in an attempt to make up for the company's lousy ATPs.

Further proof that RJ's theory of "protecting the home brand" is going on here: The above-mentioned tactic will not be applied to FIAT or Alfa Romeo vehicles.

The whole thing is a shame. I wish FIAT and all involved would magically "go away" and leave Chrysler alone to do its thing, so much promise there in my opinion.

Edited by OHV 16V

I agree, GM should say 'get lost'. Wait til they are desparate enough to sell Jeep separately, and not get the whole company's worms.

I predict Sergio will say 'Oh well, I have to drop the Dodge brand' to save $$'.

Edited by 630land

No, that's not what would happen.

The only merger that Sergio would agree to would be one where his people would have a veto over such actions.

And while I have criticized GM repeatedly on this forum, I don't think there's anyone at GM stupid enough to go along with this.

"And while I have criticized GM repeatedly on this forum, I don't think there's anyone at GM stupid enough to go along with this again."

Added emphasis at the end...

Remember, GM paid Fiat $2 billion dollars in 2005 unwind the GM-Fiat pre-merger. GM got nothing for its $2 billion while Fiat got to use GM's Epsilon (Fiat Croma and the stillborn mid and large size Alfa) and Gamma (Fiat Punto, Alfa Mito) platforms.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20080914/OEM/309149839/awkward-gm-fiat-alliance-had-benefits-but-was-doomed-to-fail

Edited by bzcat